Author Topic: autoclimb is the new dive?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
autoclimb is the new dive?
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:14:09 AM »
so i lift off a 163 to get strat bombers..etc..i do .speed 200 then alt X (my autoclimb setting).it imedialty goes into a nose dive 1k off the deck.i crash of course.but at the time my true speed was between 250 and 260.why would it just nose over like that?
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: autoclimb is the new dive?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:08 AM »
You either made a typo or misread your speed.
In any case you should not be using such an autopilot this close to the ground.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:18:30 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:14 AM »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:19:17 AM »
Given some of your previous encounters, I'm not sure you are great at accurately judging your speed.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:30:12 AM »
Given some of your previous encounters, I'm not sure you are great at accurately judging your speed.

no no.this time i had the e6b open!the same thing has happend before in a b29.but i was high enough to get out of it
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:40:20 AM »
You said your true air speed showed 250-260, your autopilot sets indicated air speed. So as I said above, seems like you misread your speed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:42:18 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:51:44 AM »
Learned the hard way too.  Grab some alt. before you hit the auto-climb.  At least it gives you a little time to pull up.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »
If you try to use the command ".speed 200" while you are in auto takeoff and still seeing the green text... the speed command will not take. All you have to do is turn off the auto takeoff first and then it will work.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 04:52:56 AM »
You either made a typo or misread your speed.
In any case you should not be using such an autopilot this close to the ground.

It's a bug that's been around for a very long time but I have no idea how to reproduce it and it is very random.  You'll be on auto-climb and then all of a sudden you'll do a sharp nose dive and then the plane pulls up in a zoom climb to bleed energy back to 180mph IAS where it then settles back down into a climb.  Auto-pilot does not turn off while this occurs and stays on throughout the entire episode.

I haven't been able to figure out the cause but I know from extensive testing of my controllers that those aren't the cause and also that auto-pilot does not turn off while it happens also points away from it being the controllers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:03:55 AM »
Well, first of all, at 200mph, the 163 only barely can fly this slow (when its heavy, usually at takeoff...).  That rocket engine performs the best at around 350mph, so i dont know what did you want at 200... Possibly it was one of your first 163 takeoffs, right?
Second, i guess your true speed was 250 when you hit the ground, right?
Third, .speed adjusts indicated air speed, not true airspeed.

Btw, i had the same experience when was trying to up a 262  totally drunk... autoclimb at 200mph, then alt tab to put on some music   :D
AoM
City of ice

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 05:06:37 AM »
Begs the question, "Why did you not over ride the PC as soon as the nose dipped?"

At 1k and at 250-260 mph you must have had a good few seconds to recover and climb manually.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
It's not a bug.  

AH does not have an "auto-climb" command.  Instead, it has an "auto-speed" command, which is often used as an auto-climb..  

When you activate it, the plane does whatever it needs to do in order to achieve that speed.  In most planes, the default auto-speed is fairly slow, so engaging it right after take-off causes the nose to come up.  In other planes though, the default auto-speed is fairly high, which will cause the plane to drop its nose if it's activated too soon after take-off.

It's often adjusted to a higher or lower speed manually, and in bombers (for example) setting it slightly above your level speed will result in a slightly increased, maintained, dive speed.  This is useful for long descents, or for defending against fighters because your increased speed will make it more difficult for them to make sustained attacks without falling behind.  Set it for 290-300 mph in a B17, for example, and then get into the tail gun.

Here's a link to the trainers site, which has a one page quick reference of key strokes.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 05:10:50 AM »
You said your true air speed showed 250-260, your autopilot sets indicated air speed. So as I said above, seems like you misread your speed.

indicated is what i ment.the white bar was at 250.my true was 290 somthing.i got the 2 mixed up in prev post
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:56 AM »
I want to see the film.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »
I want to see the film.  :aok

He hasn't figured out how to use it, yet.

Like the aircraft.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.