Author Topic: autoclimb is the new dive?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: autoclimb is the new dive?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »
yall give the guy a break. all he is doing is looking for answers.

No he is not ... he is looking for anything that he may think is out of place and then coming here to stamp his feet about it. If he is looking for answers, his delivery stinks.

This is the type of customer that I would consider paying $15/month to not play the game.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
I think I know what your talking about, it happened to me ones in five years, no idea how to reproduce it. But unless your at 5ft AGL the bug will not kill you.

No, it might not kill you unless you're low but it is a pain in the ass.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dominare

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »
I would consider paying $15/month to not play the game.
Talk to Hitech about that, I bet he would be ok with that.

Anyhow, easiest way to take off a 262 in my experience is let autopilot get you above treeline, then hit level autopilot. Get 250+ mph then hit climb autopilot and if the nose dips at all cancel climb autopilot and use level autopilot for abit longer. If you dont know you're starting to nose over, open those eyes and look at the gauge for your pitch attitude. I use this because for some reason if I leave on autotakeoff when it transitions to autoclimb in the 262 it does this teeter totter crap where it noses down to gain speed, then noses high to lose speed (it doesnt stop till I level it out.) So I work around that and it works better imo.
As for taking off in the 163 just let it autoclimb, cuz the dang thing will go nearly straight up... if you want to conserve fuel, throttle back, or just dont fly the thing.
P-38J 338th FS / 55th FG (Battle Over Germany)
P-38J 432nd FS / 475th FG (Phillipine Phandango)
190D-9 II/JG27 (The Final Battle)
YAK-9U 318 IAP (Red Storm - Krupp Steel)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »
My guess is that HT is correct, although with out film we won't be able to provide a definite answer.  I just went into the TA, took a Me163 with 100% fuel, lifted off around 150mph or so, hit auto level and typed in ".speed 200" let the indicated airspeed build up to 250mph and then hit "alt+x" and the plane nosed up into a climb till it hit 200mph.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
In a 163 always do level flight auto pilot until >400 mhp then hit auto climb, no need to change .speed settings.  :ahand
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »
so i lift off a 163 to get strat bombers..etc..i do .speed 200 then alt X (my autoclimb setting).it imedialty goes into a nose dive 1k off the deck.i crash of course.but at the time my true speed was between 250 and 260.why would it just nose over like that?

The Max climb rate command (alt X) Will dive a plane, or nose it up to get to optimum air speed for MAx sustained Climb rate. If you are slower than that Speed when you engage, then the auto-pilot will dive the plane. It does not take into account where the ground is. The routine seems generically written to apply to all planes. 262s for example will go through several series of dives and climbs until the plane stablizes into sustained climb. The amplitude of the excursions of Dive or Climb is a function of how far off optimum you were when you engaged, and the plane itself. The factor in the plane that seems to make the biggest difference in this behavior is how fast the plane builds speed in a dive. 262 and 163 gain speed very rapidly so they over shoot the optimum speed before the Auto-pilot can pull up. Then when it pulls up it has to pull significantly past the optimium climb angle to slow the plane back down.  This creates a lot of oscilations about the optimum climb angle-speed, with the most severe at the initiation.

Know your plane's speed and climb rate for optimum climb and try to attain it before you engage Alt-X   :salute
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:15:22 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »
My guess is that HT is correct, although with out film we won't be able to provide a definite answer.  I just went into the TA, took a Me163 with 100% fuel, lifted off around 150mph or so, hit auto level and typed in ".speed 200" let the indicated airspeed build up to 250mph and then hit "alt+x" and the plane nosed up into a climb till it hit 200mph.
must have been in an update that i didn't notice or something...when i first got here and was learning all this stuff i tried using that sequence and it never worked, didn't matter how many times i typed in the dot command.

guess i'll have to try that way again...a much better way to do it if you don't fat finger it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 03:01:57 PM »
must have been in an update that i didn't notice or something...when i first got here and was learning all this stuff i tried using that sequence and it never worked, didn't matter how many times i typed in the dot command.

guess i'll have to try that way again...a much better way to do it if you don't fat finger it.

don't type it in while auto-takeoff is on.

IIRC, it ignores .speed commands while the auto-takeoff is enabled.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »
Please point me to where "auto climb" is referenced.  I'm only aware of "auto speed".  If you're going slower than the "auto speed setting", you nose down and dive to get up to that speed.  If you're going faster than the "auto speed setting", you nose up and climb to get to that speed.  In both instances, your plane will maintain whatever climb/descent rate needed to maintain that speed.

Common sense...yes?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Dominare

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
autoclimb = the point where your thrust and lift is greater than your drag and weight, enough to push/pull your plane at a designated speed (set by game defaults) maintaining forward horizontal movement and upward vertical movement  :D
Its the red dot on the autopilot indicator.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:31:29 PM by Dominare »

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 03:33:15 PM »
autoclimb = the point where your thrust and lift is greater than your drag and weight, enough to push/pull your plane at a designated speed (set by game defaults) maintaining forward horizontal movement and upward vertical movement  :D
Its the red dot on the autopilot indicator.

That's autospeed, the game has no auto pilot called autoclimb.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Dominare

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
That's autospeed, the game has no auto pilot called autoclimb.
Im not gonna argue semantics, but its the same thing you hit the button and your plane goes up automatically

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:48 PM »
Im not gonna argue semantics, but its the same thing you hit the button and your plane goes up automatically

It's not semantics. The plane doesn't go up automatically. It goes to the selected speed automatically which may make it go up or down. Usually it will go up by default, but not always.

Carrier takeoffs, especially in a heavy F4U, are another situation where you'll crash very quickly if you hit alt-x too soon after takeoff.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »

turn off your engine and watch what it does.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »
so....if he hates the game so much, and gonna cancel his subscription....why is he playing still?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb