Author Topic: autoclimb is the new dive?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: autoclimb is the new dive?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
Im not gonna argue semantics, but its the same thing you hit the button and your plane goes up automatically

Get yourself in a steady, level flight at 100-120 mph in almost any plane.  Hit your "auto climb" button and come back here and tell me what it does.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
I've lost as many (if not more) 262s hitting alt+x right after rotation than I've lost in combat.

I'm a slow learner.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline killb8

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 09:54:19 PM »
(With my best Sean Connery voice) We are to evaluate the readiness of the autoclimb ...... Make revolutions for 200 knots and engage the alt/x.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
(With my best Sean Connery voice) We are to evaluate the readiness of the autoclimb ...... Make revolutions for 200 knots and engage the alt/x.
I. I captain.     LOL
Flying since tour 71.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
I. I captain.     LOL

You stuttering?  :neener:

Aye, kept'n.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 06:15:20 AM »
I've lost as many (if not more) 262s hitting alt+x right after rotation than I've lost in combat.

I'm a slow learner.

Well, if that is the case, please stay away from regional airports near me when you are ready to solo...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2011, 12:30:11 AM »
At times I use .speed 350 to dive my Lancs away from CV flak after dropping the bombs. It works without peeling off your wings.  :old:
  :D
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
Talk to Hitech about that, I bet he would be ok with that.

Anyhow, easiest way to take off a 262 in my experience is let autopilot get you above treeline, then hit level autopilot. Get 250+ mph then hit climb autopilot and if the nose dips at all cancel climb autopilot and use level autopilot for abit longer. If you dont know you're starting to nose over, open those eyes and look at the gauge for your pitch attitude. I use this because for some reason if I leave on autotakeoff when it transitions to autoclimb in the 262 it does this teeter totter crap where it noses down to gain speed, then noses high to lose speed (it doesnt stop till I level it out.) So I work around that and it works better imo.
As for taking off in the 163 just let it autoclimb, cuz the dang thing will go nearly straight up... if you want to conserve fuel, throttle back, or just dont fly the thing.

Wait, Auto-WHAT?

Turn of all things auto.  Play the game.

262 takeoff, any obstruction or airfield....NO AUTOPILOT!... Up on runway, hold brakes fully on during engine spool-up.... release brakes @ 8500 RPM.  Allow jet to gather momentum.  It will do what I call "the 262 hop" about 3/4ths the way down the runway.  It will rotate into the air for a second, then settle back down on the runway.  Allow it to do so, or keep the nose on the ground with slight forward pressure. Take the last couple hundred feet of runway, then lift the nose up.  Rotation is generally at ~190 IAS.  Fold the gear as soon as you lift.  You can climb out to ~900-1000 AGL, or I prefer to level at 250 and build up airspeed to ~400IAS, and then climbout at 3K/min.

On the 163... you will love your plane a lot more, if you take off, level out at treetop height, and get 400 IAS built up.  Pull the nose into a GENTLE climb of around 30 degrees nose high, and it will accelerate all the way through the climbout phase, and save you more precious fuel.  I see so many people pull it straight up off the runway... you're wasting fuel (and sortie time) with a climb at 200 IAS straight up.

You can level off at 30K, with around 250lbs of fuel left, good for ~13 minutes at minimum throttle and 500 IAS.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce