Author Topic: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?  (Read 4263 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »
While I lean towards Citabrias thoughts on this, I am still on the fence.  Here is a thread of interest from the wishlist that is close to the subject matter:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,309652.0.html
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
A wirbl can reach out and touch you with laser like accuracy out to 1.5k and you want to reduce icon range to ... what? After you're already dead?

Fail.

No double standards for GVs.

The "double standard" is already in place.  We're only changing the range in which aircraft can see exactly what the GV is.

I guess that will make low-n-slow players (think IL-2/A20 easy mode aircraft) think twice about hangin' around.  Better keep moving and make attack runs count.  *Gasp*, people might have to hesitate a wee bit and scout the area prior to just swoopin' in and getting the kill.

I cant remember the last time I've been shot down by a Wirby or Osty unless I was diving straight at them.  Not saying it does not happen, but staying fast and keeping your AoA away from the almighty Wirby is key.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
 Armor on the ground in a wooded terrain is hard to see with 1940s technology. (eye balls) While aircraft can be heard and seen from the ground very easy. Tanks in real life are no treat to an air plane because it is near impossible to hit a moving aircraft with a main gun.

Anyone with an armor MOS (Military occupational Skill) who has looked through the main gun sight knows what I mean. No icons on the tanks are fine by me and more realistic. However if you don't want bombed take the time to go pork the ords at the offending airfield. It is the first thing I do before going to a GV spawn with a good ground fight underway.

We have some some very good changes coming our way for the Ground Ponders in this game such as new optics for the main gun.
Who knows what other up dates we are going to see from HTC. HTC staff took the time to look over World of Tanks game play and armor in order to bring the finer points to Aces High. Thanks HTC.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »
The Wirbl THIS tour alone has over 17000 kills. That's more than the La7. That's more than the spit16. That's second only to the P-51 when compared to aircraft.

Pretending it's not effective so you can coddle the whiney GV players isn't the answer.

P.S. R105 the human eye is infinitely better at seeing than this game can display on a pixellated LCD. It's not accurate to say the human eye is worse than this game. It is in fact better in many ways, and they have all been discussed, proven with math and with actual experience from real-world pilots. 20/20 vision would have no problems seeing a giant 20-to-40ton tank sitting in a field. In this game we have a much harder time.

EDIT: Funny thing.. you can look up the stats, you know? The vast majority of those 17000+ kills are all planes. Naturally this thing isn't so effective against tanks. However, if you check the kills, this tour alone it has died more from combined P-47 action than from lancasters. It's died infinitely more from other GVs than it has from even IL2s or A20Gs... GVs are the vast majority of Wirb killers, and yet they keep asking for more and more unjustified concessions against planes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:39:34 AM by Krusty »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »
Seriously I think they are visible because this is a flight game with GVs.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
The icons are kind of superfluous.  I can spot GVs from a distance long before the icon shows up, and can recognize what the model is, right around the time the icon shows up.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
fester, no icons for gv's in the main arenas would not fly (pardon the pun)...maybe a decent compromise would be somewhere between 1.5k and 2k??

Armored columns were always pounded when the enemy had control of the air. Don't want your GV bombed call in Air support.  :airplane:
that is a bad example...running a column of gv's on an open road in ah is risking getting flipped from the drone trucks traveling 80mph...a lone tank in a stand of trees sitting still could not be seen easily, even if it was firing the main gun...especially from 12000 feet.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »

The Wirbl THIS tour alone has over 17000 kills. That's more than the La7. That's more than the spit16. That's second only to the P-51 when compared to aircraft.

Pretending it's not effective so you can coddle the whiney GV players isn't the answer.

First, this suggestion is not so one can "coddle" the gv players.  It will force aircraft to behave more like they want to stay alive, they will have to stay fast, keep a bit more alt, and not turn so tight so near enemy fire.  Not a big deal for aircraft.   

No one is going to dispute that the wirby is the best AA in the game.  There is a reason it sits on top of the stats (vs the Osty and M16).  Don't forget that there are far less to pick from and the wirby is the knee jerk reaction to combat aircraft from the ground.  You are comparing apples to oranges.  So your point is "FAIL".  If you HO a wirby you are going to lose, remember that.  Are you going to try and say the wirby is *that* good just because it sits on top of the stats and therefore an idea to shorten the icon distance for aircraft to ground is bunk? You'll have to come up with far better reasons than that to convince me and many others.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »
You can kill a Wirble easily if you just take the time to climb up to 6K or so and dive bomb it.  Piece of cake.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
You can kill a Wirble easily if you just take the time to climb up to 6K or so and dive bomb it.  Piece of cake.

Are you suggesting to actually work for it?

How dare you...   :furious
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
I personally like just creeping up to 1.5K and then opening up with all guns on the 25H.  Usually takes 2-3 kills on alert flak drivers before damage forces rtb.  Bombing is so easy it just feels cheap :P
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
Duck, duck, GOOSE  :devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »
They could fix a lot of the whining about GVs by allowing some fire to penetrate foliage. It would allow the mobile AA platforms to attack with some concealment.

In a game loaded with aircraft, any armored vehicle in the open is dead meat, regardless of icons. Funny that AH mimics reality.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
it would mimic reality more if ground units were calling in air strikes and spotting concealed tanks for the jabos instead of the aircraft spotting concealed tanks in the treelines and calling out their position to tanks?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
it would mimic reality more if ground units were calling in air strikes and spotting concealed tanks for the jabos instead of the aircraft spotting concealed tanks in the treelines and calling out their position to tanks?

FAC?

come on krusty, even you have to admit, having a bright red neon sign over your tank visible by an airplane 3k out while your sitting in a stand of trees is just as gamey as camping a spawn. dive bombing runs occur within the 1000 yard envelope now, lowering the icon visibility from the air would not do anything to change that...it could even out the stakes a bit.

What game are you flying in where GV icons are visible at 3k? Feet maybe?

RE: LancStukas.
Icons don't matter when you're carpet bombing.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay