Author Topic: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
it would mimic reality more if ground units were calling in air strikes and spotting concealed tanks for the jabos instead of the aircraft spotting concealed tanks in the treelines and calling out their position to tanks?

It is more difficult to spot tanks parked under trees, it is added to the fact you often don't get icons on GVs under trees.

If they allowed the GVs to fire through foliage, it would help balance things.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
Just thinking off the cuff here, but if the tank is actually concealed, I'm assuming there's no icon, just like it is with the planes, right?  Is perhaps the easier solution to make it so the thing on the trees that allows concealment could be made a bit higher than it is, but invisible, so the icon won't show if they're close to foliage?  Or if that was made taller, would we then have invisible plane eating barriers above the trees?

Seems to me if it's obscured, there should be no icon, if it's out in the open and/or moving, icon.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
Is perhaps the easier solution to make it so the thing on the trees that allows concealment could be made a bit higher than it is, but invisible, so the icon won't show if they're close to foliage?

That would help, this way, if the woods aren't as dense they can still obtain concealment. Right now, they need to be parked under the tree to obtain that concealment.

Seems to me if it's obscured, there should be no icon, if it's out in the open and/or moving, icon.

Agreed.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
tanks and flaks are food for jabos and bombers.
jabos are food for fighters and flaks
flaks and tanks are food for tanks

the circle of life in total war simulated combat in a nutshell.

your weakest link in the food chain is the ground units.

make the attack aircraft who are also feeding on ground units with the tanks work harder to eliminate the ground units.

with total elimination of all ground units by aircraft the ground war ends and the vehicles stop respawning to fight the other vehicles. a few will up flaks which will be picked off by tanks closing on the base but many up a fighter out of revenge for ruining the ground fight.

HTC is going through all this trouble and time to make tanks more fun to play.
yet when 1-2 guys in an il2 or jabo/bomber with bombs can literally wipe out 8-10 guys in vehicles on the ground with ease what happens to the guys on the ground who are also battling tanks?

they leave the ground fight they were trying to enjoy and bring in fighters.

meanwhile the ground fight stagnates because there is nothing to shoot at on one side.

just think of me as an environmentalist seeking to preserve the total war ecosystem
you want to add depth to the gv fight let them hide without icons from circling vultures above.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »
What game are you flying in where GV icons are visible at 3k? Feet maybe?

RE: LancStukas.
Icons don't matter when you're carpet bombing.

wrongway
check it yourself...the distance from inside the cockpit is in yards so no, it's not 3k feet unless there is some majic switch that kicks in and converts to feet when spotting a gv from the air.

there is a distinct difference between carpet bombing and dive bombing...stuka is a dive bomber...lancaster isn't...when a lancaster dive bombs, it is then labeled "lancstuka"...and you know the gamey maneuver is made easier with the gv icon range.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
it would mimic reality more if ground units were calling in air strikes and spotting concealed tanks for the jabos instead of the aircraft spotting concealed tanks in the treelines and calling out their position to tanks?

Don't make me call Gomez on you...... you just returned to the game. :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
tanks and flaks are food for jabos and bombers.
jabos are food for fighters and flaks
flaks and tanks are food for tanks

the circle of life in total war simulated combat in a nutshell.

your weakest link in the food chain is the ground units.

make the attack aircraft who are also feeding on ground units with the tanks work harder to eliminate the ground units.

with total elimination of all ground units by aircraft the ground war ends and the vehicles stop respawning to fight the other vehicles. a few will up flaks which will be picked off by tanks closing on the base but many up a fighter out of revenge for ruining the ground fight.

HTC is going through all this trouble and time to make tanks more fun to play.
yet when 1-2 guys in an il2 or jabo/bomber with bombs can literally wipe out 8-10 guys in vehicles on the ground with ease what happens to the guys on the ground who are also battling tanks?

they leave the ground fight they were trying to enjoy and bring in fighters.

meanwhile the ground fight stagnates because there is nothing to shoot at on one side.

just think of me as an environmentalist seeking to preserve the total war ecosystem
you want to add depth to the gv fight let them hide without icons from circling vultures above.

Sorry, that makes too much sense and therefore, will not be allowed  :noid
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »
It's not a circle of life. It's not an eco system. Any one of those 3 elements can feed on any of the other three. It's not a hierarchy where the system breaks down if one of the "points on the circle" is lessened.

P.S. Gyrene doesn't quite get it. Vehicle icons are only 1.5k right now as seen from planes. Not 3K.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »
P.S. Gyrene doesn't quite get it. Vehicle icons are only 1.5k right now as seen from planes. Not 3K.
hmmm...screenshot posted by machfly shows a friendly at 1.7k...bet it's actually further out than that.
jarhed  

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
hmmm...screenshot posted by machfly shows a friendly at 1.7k...bet it's actually further out than that.

Friendly icons show to 6k, enemy GV icons show to 1.5
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 03:14:16 PM »
How about a trade - no icons for tanks, but 2.0k icons for Flaks? 
Funny how whiny Gvers complain about being bombed, yet have no qualms about camping airfields and vulching everything in sight. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 03:15:06 PM »
OH SNAP!

How about a trade - no icons for tanks, but 2.0k icons for Flaks? 
Funny how whiny Gvers complain about being bombed, yet have no qualms about camping airfields and vulching everything in sight. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
Friendly icons show to 6k, enemy GV icons show to 1.5

Yeah... Somebody's showing he doesn't even know what the discussion's about. He's never bombed or attacked a GV before, or he'd know that.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
Yeah... Somebody's showing he doesn't even know what the discussion's about. He's never bombed or attacked a GV before, or he'd know that.
uh huh...more like never paid enough attention to the distance once the red neon sign popped up...the only time i ever drop a bomb on a gv is when there are friendly gv's around asking for bombs to be dropped on the enemies...and most of the time the enemy tank is in a stand of trees.

if it is 1.5k for enemy tanks then that's 4500 feet...a tank or half track with camouflage paint sitting out on open ground...ok that's very possible...in a stand of trees or a hedge row? no way.
jarhed  

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2011, 05:42:18 PM »
Just thinking off the cuff here, but if the tank is actually concealed, I'm assuming there's no icon, just like it is with the planes, right?  Is perhaps the easier solution to make it so the thing on the trees that allows concealment could be made a bit higher than it is, but invisible, so the icon won't show if they're close to foliage?  Or if that was made taller, would we then have invisible plane eating barriers above the trees?

Wiley.

Enemy GV icons are LOS. If there's a gap in the foliage, it shows up.

I sat in an M-3 one night for 20 minutes about 2k from a town, waiting. I was in heavy foliage. To the point I couldn't see anything. Apparently no one could see me either.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay