Author Topic: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: refresh my memory why aircraft can see gv icons?
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »
I believe the motion has more to do with it than the shapes, myself.  I don't think a screen shot is an apples to apples comparison.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
To expand on Greebo's comment, I think the most effective and realistic way to tailor to all things considered would be for the icon range to change based upon different factors.  For example:

1. Tank Firing: Icon @ 2.5k for up to 5 seconds after last burst of ammo fired.
2. Tank Moving: Icon @ 1.5k for up to 5 seconds after last movement.
3. Tank Not Moving Nor Firing: Icon @ <500yds.

Exact ranges are up for debate but this would be the best system.
if that were at all possible for gv's...good idea.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »
You know what? My 190A8 is a sitting duck to any other plane in the game.

You speak the truth.  YOU flying a 190A8 is the definition of "sitting duck".
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Quite so... More of the GV whining we saw from Red Storm/Krupp Steel, no doubt.

Moot, it's not so easy to spot and ID GVs. They are all square little boxes of pixels with treads. Unless you get in under 500 yards and use max zoom actually making out a profile while flying is nearly impossible.

On top of that you only get icons showing up right as you're in lethal guns range. Further, most times I'm spotting GVs at a spawn point that are attacking my field, I have to circle several times. The icons stay relative to your screen so if you are tilted the icon can dig into the ground. It is also obscured by trees. That means not only do you have to get close, often you have to stay close to figure out how to read that icon.

It's FAR from the sitting duck wounded target you portray it as being.

Also: Keep in mind GV's zoom from the main gun is much stronger magnification than the zoom from a plane's cockpit, last I recall. On top of that, the zoom/view systems are all being redesigned by HTC and your entire point may be moot anyways.

You can easily see a gv, by itself in a field, from 5K.  Among trees, not so well.

Heck, you can bomb them from 18K in a level bomber, if you have one good eye. 

If you have some sort of vision issue, and need to zoom in, I wish everyone had it.  It would be that much more realistic. 

I'm sorry, but tanks were not hit, while under cover.  Case in point, Germany 1944.  1,800 tanks moved within 5 Km of the forward lines at the Battle of the Bulge, under total allied air supremacy. 

A single tank in this game is a beacon, as it stands. 
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »
To expand on Greebo's comment, I think the most effective and realistic way to tailor to all things considered would be for the icon range to change based upon different factors.  For example:

1. Tank Firing: Icon @ 2.5k for up to 5 seconds after last burst of ammo fired.
2. Tank Moving: Icon @ 1.5k for up to 5 seconds after last movement.
3. Tank Not Moving Nor Firing: Icon @ <500yds.

Exact ranges are up for debate but this would be the best system.

I'm not against this idea.  I actually think it's too easy to spot GV's from the air myself, even though I seldom kill GV's or drive GV's.

To tailor GV "detectability" based on different factors, though, wouldn't it be safe to assume it should be easier for a multi-manned bomber to spot/locate GV's than it is would be for a single-pilot fighter? 

I hate to see the large bombers used as dive-bombers, but then again, they've got "extra" eyes on board, so I'd think they could locate GV's easier...  Heck, in RL, might they not have binoculars, even?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
which statement is more applicable to Aces High?

I am an attack plane flyer and I attack ground vehicles. I have no trouble finding ground vehicles but I run out of targets quickly because the ground guys stop playing and go do somthing else so I left too.

or

I am an attack plane flyer and I attack ground vehicles. I have trouble spotting them if they are not firing or moving in the open. It seems like the ground war is still going on after I die or rtb. so I upped in a tank to join the ground fight.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:56:17 PM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »
In real life GVs were very hard to spot from the air unless they were moving or firing. So how about making GVs' icon visibility range vary in a similar fashion. At rest the icon range would be less than it is now, but after every shot your icon range would jump briefly out a lot further. The icon range would also increase the faster you are moving.

Not only would they be hard to spot. But often even if they were spotted it was very difficult to determine friend from foe.
60 years later we still occasionally have that problem
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »
Because GVs only exist in the first place so planes will have something to bomb.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Because GVs only exist in the first place so planes will have something to bomb.
ya, i guess all the destroyable structures aren't meant to be bombed...  :headscratch:
jarhed  

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »
I hate to see the large bombers used as dive-bombers, but then again, they've got "extra" eyes on board, so I'd think they could locate GV's easier...  Heck, in RL, might they not have binoculars, even?

this brings up a whole other issue, lanc-stukas (and now b29s apparently)== lame
seriously, why don't the wings break?

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
which statement is more applicable to Aces High?

or

I upped in attack to protect the base but could not see any gvs so I left

What are GVs doing in Aces High, they must be there for folks who like to bomb things
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »
ya, i guess all the destroyable structures aren't meant to be bombed...  :headscratch:

I have never seen a 200 complaint or a forum post from a destroyable structure...what would be the point of bombing those?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2011, 07:00:52 AM »
 In September of 1944 the British flew a lot of air recon missions over Arnhem and managed to totally miss a bunch of German tanks and thousands of SS troops before Operation Marketgarden. In Army combat maneuvers I has seen scout choppers fly right over a 60 tank sitting under trees in broad day light at 200 feet and not see us. To bad real tanks don't have icons lol.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2011, 07:28:53 AM »
I have never seen a 200 complaint or a forum post from a destroyable structure...what would be the point of bombing those?
:lol  i've never seen a complaint from one either...but i have seen some complaints about strats not being worth the effort, i don't survive strat runs so i don't know if they are or not.
jarhed  

Offline Airborne

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2011, 07:29:32 AM »
You can easily see a gv, by itself in a field, from 5K.  Among trees, not so well.

Heck, you can bomb them from 18K in a level bomber, if you have one good eye.  

If you have some sort of vision issue, and need to zoom in, I wish everyone had it.  It would be that much more realistic.  

I'm sorry, but tanks were not hit, while under cover.  Case in point, Germany 1944.  1,800 tanks moved within 5 Km of the forward lines at the Battle of the Bulge, under total allied air supremacy.  

A single tank in this game is a beacon, as it stands.  

This has no bearing- do a little research on subjects before using them for fact. Weather plays a crucial role, regardless of who maintains air supremacy, check out what the weather was like prior to, which would be during the Axis movement, and during the battle. The weather was one of the key decision points for Hitler... And your tank numbes are off, at the beginning of the Battle Germany had 600 tanks- far off from your 1,800 figure.  Which also contributes to their ability to move undetected.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:35:15 AM by Airborne »