Author Topic: F1 driver Kimi Räikkönen to the NASCAR  (Read 6885 times)

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Re: F1 driver Kimi Räikkönen to the NASCAR
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:08:45 PM »
Kimi had a driving seat for both Mclaren and Ferrari during his time in F1. It's extremely unlikely he would get another shot driving for either team if he chose returned to F1. Redbull already have a great driver lineup so his only chance would be to race for a midfield team who only pay semi ridiculous money for drivers.
thats true. but those teams are probably still payin more then NASCAR.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »
Dadgumit NASCAR is the best!!! They turn LEFT!!!!! WWWOOOWWOOOOOOO!!
 :neener:
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:51:44 PM »
I'd like to see American TV announcers try to pronounce his last name, especially since we don't have that 'glottal stop mid-word' deal, or umlauts, or anything... :lol

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
Kimi is considered by many to be one of the best F1 drivers of a generation. NASCAR fans should feel delighted to have a driver of such high caliber in their sport.
Not really. I personally think the French have no business in NASCAR.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:41 PM »
+1  :rofl

Him and Alonso would be a good team. still dont understnad why Ferrari got rid of him so quick.

who watched the race sunday? i missed it  :cry

Just watched it this morning.  In my heart I'm still a Webber fan, but I gotta say I think it's going to be VERY tough to beat Vettel this year.  He out-qualified everyone by 8/10ths.  That's a big gap in F1, and did it without using KERS to boot.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
Not really. I personally think the French have no business in NASCAR.

:headscratch:  Who said anything about the French?  :headscratch:

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
"Help me Tom Cruise!"

And now a palette cleanser.....

See Rule #4

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »
Unless McLaren get their new car on the track soon, Vettel will run away with the championship.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
:headscratch:  Who said anything about the French?  :headscratch:
It's a joke. Cause he's not really French.
 :huh

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »
Kimi is considered by many to be one of the best F1 drivers of a generation. NASCAR fans should feel delighted to have a driver of such high caliber in their sport.
Right we should but I guarentte you he can't turn left.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
My, my.... The nose-in-the-air crowd likes to bash the NASCAR drivers, I see.

Maybe they might recall back in 2002 when Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson represented the USA in the Race of Champions. They won the Nation's cup, with a field containing no less than 6 F1 drivers. Moreover, they were driving cars they hadn't even seen until a couple of days prior, in a completely foreign format. Then there was Gordon matching Montoya's lap times in Montoya's Williams on the Indianapolis F1 course, never having driven an F1 car previously, and with less than 45 minutes of seat time. Montoya tried Gordon's car, with far less impressive results.

NASCAR has come light years from the redneck days... The fields are loaded with very good drivers, who have won in many different disciplines. Sprint cars, Midgets, Off Road, Indycar and road racing. Johnson has won 5 NASCAR championships in a row. No one else has won more than 3 in a row, and that happened only once. Gordon has four championships to his credit. F1 drivers have not been successful in NASCAR to date.. Montoya has the best result, but still can't win away from a road course.

On the other hand, we live in a country where Larry the Cable Guy's tour draws bigger crowds than an F1 race... But, that doesn't mean the top tier NASCAR drivers give up anything in talent to the F1 geeks... They don't. Just a different form of equally difficult motorsports.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 12:27:38 AM »
So why the ... obsession (too strong a word but can't think of a better one) with hamster wheel race tracks?  I mean I can relate to how it's appealing and I can see how racing in that field around those tracks is not at all devoid of skill, but..  Why not throw a couple of actual twisty tracks in the season?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
So why the ... obsession (too strong a word but can't think of a better one) with hamster wheel race tracks?  I mean I can relate to how it's appealing and I can see how racing in that field around those tracks is not at all devoid of skill, but..  Why not throw a couple of actual twisty tracks in the season?

They do. Actually exactly a couple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infineon_Raceway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watkins_Glen_International
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:50:34 AM by kilo2 »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 12:59:57 AM »
Thanks Kilo, I'll have to watch one of those.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »
My,  my... NASCAR fans can't take a joke and laugh at themselves, I see.   :lol

Seriously...   I don't deny the talent of NASCAR drivers, never will, I just think the tracks, and the cars they race are stupid.   I question the management too.  A guy I know who is a Flowmaster regional-something-or-other, told me that years ago they went to NASCAR and showed them how they could make their race cars 50% quieter with very little power loss.  According to him most of the drivers and teams where all for it, saving them from going deaf and all that.  But NASCAR killed the idea because they where afraid they would lose fans it the cars weren't extremely loud and shouty.   Who cares about drivers and mechanics going deaf... we NEED loud cars.  :rolleyes:

Having said that, there is no way most NASCAR drivers could hop in a F1 car and race it to the limit for a whole race without several weeks of physical conditioning first.  The G forces in F1 are so much greater then anything stock cars could produce that their neck would give out halfway through the race.  But with proper conditioning I'm sure they could be competitive, after all most of them started out in carts just like F1 drivers.

I've said it before, I would love to see an American go kick butt in F1 ala Mario Andretti.  But with the popularity of NASCAR, American driving talent can stay at home and make a great living, instead of having to hop all over the world for 9 months a year in F1, plus the years they would have to spend in leagues like GP2  just to get a shot at an F1 seat.  There is just no motivation for American talent to pursue F1.  Same thing goes for WRC, I know we've got Ken Block... but so far he has been kind of a joke.