Author Topic: The Over 40 Crowd  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
Re: The Over 40 Crowd
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
thats some funny watermelon Beet1e, err I mean penguin

Anyone else notice that penguin is what I have dubbed "the funny thread SAM site"?

seriously, he turns up, and suddenly its a drama, slanging match or both.

Incidently the first page is hysterical!
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
Sheesh ... over 40??

I didn't even solo till I was 43.
*the year I found out about General Aviation Medical Waivers* .. wish I had known that when I was a kid :)

Got my Daisy BB-gun when I was 7 or 8
.. had my own .22 lever action Marlin (with the 8-sided barrel) when I was in 8th grade ....useda make summer money shootin crows for the local farmers.

First few cars I owned didn't have seat belts, had steel dashboards, and were a total blast to drive :)

Yanno what cracks me up .. every single decade since I was 20 people have said 'life is over as you know it' when you reach 30 .. 40 .. 50 ..
.. I will be 61 this year .. feel like someone stole the last 40 years 'cause no way it feels like that much time has gone by!

The only difference from my 20's to now is .. I don't burn as much rubber as I useda,
..and it's been awhile since the wife grabbed the keys an tossed 'em out the window :)

(yes .. we just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary ..it's gonna be a great summer ;)

-GE aka Frank

congrats on your anniversary sir!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
SST Racers
Smash up derby cars
Stretch Armstrong...........
Ahh the good stuff
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »
Slot car racing!  Water rockets!  Kick the can! 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline medic341

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
LMAO, Good stuff and so true. :)

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would
usually talk over the beginning and mess it all up!  There were no CD players! 
We had tape decks in our car.  We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when
finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless.

I had 8 Track tapes, they sucked ! :D

<S>
Medic341

RIP SWfire

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
When gas was 49 cents a gallon, schools actually taught and parents could discipline their kids. I am building a time machine to go back. :bhead
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
When the president gave a speech, it was on all the channels, and you were stuck with it!

Ok, now I'm showing my age. But I remember when JFK was shot, we got out of school for the next several days, but every TV station was running all day long stuff about JFK, the shooting and what ever that I cann't remember. No cartoons or anything that a kid in 3rd grade wanted to watch. 
"And we were happy to just have that!".   :lol
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
Sheesh ... over 40??

I didn't even solo till I was 43.
*the year I found out about General Aviation Medical Waivers* .. wish I had known that when I was a kid :)

Got my Daisy BB-gun when I was 7 or 8
.. had my own .22 lever action Marlin (with the 8-sided barrel) when I was in 8th grade ....useda make summer money shootin crows for the local farmers.

First few cars I owned didn't have seat belts, had steel dashboards, and were a total blast to drive :)

Yanno what cracks me up .. every single decade since I was 20 people have said 'life is over as you know it' when you reach 30 .. 40 .. 50 ..
.. I will be 61 this year .. feel like someone stole the last 40 years 'cause no way it feels like that much time has gone by!

The only difference from my 20's to now is .. I don't burn as much rubber as I useda,
..and it's been awhile since the wife grabbed the keys an tossed 'em out the window :)

(yes .. we just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary ..it's gonna be a great summer ;)

-GE aka Frank

Congrats GE, you still doing that nursing thing?
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
<-----40 in 2weeks  :O

Not a clue where the time went  :lol

^THIS

<-- 40 in November.... not that it means anything, I'm pretty much a 19 year old living in a 70 year old's body!

Oh yeh.... 5 channels? And my brother and I were the remote control!! We had the big ChannelMaster antenna on top of the house with the rotary dial control sitting on top of the TV... if you turned the channel you then turned the dial to rotate the antenna to where that channel came in best. We didn't get cable TV or a VCR until almost 1990.... I remember my great aunt in Georgia got a VCR when they first came out... it loaded from the top and cost almost as much as what my parents had just paid for a car....

Rock'em Sock'em robots, black plastic toy M-16 that made machine gun sounds when you pulled the trigger (although most of our guns were made from scrap wood), green plastic army men, GI-Joe was a foot tall and had a beard, cartoons ONLY came on on Saturday morning, trampolines didn't have nets and padding.....I had a model kit of the USS New Jersey and the USS Enterprise...when it would rain heavily there was a HUGE puddle that would form in our yard (think 50-60 feet across and 4-5 inches deep)... Oh it was WAR in the Pacific time! Summertime mom would put us out in the morning and we weren't allowed to come back in except for lunch... and play til dark. We would wander for miles, and no one worried about child abducters and the likes.... when mom would go shopping we were expected to stay in the car and behave while she was in the store. Now they put people in jail for going in the store and leaving kids in the car.  :huh

I've got lots of old vinyl from the late '70's and early '80's.... AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Preist, KISS...... and the original Star Wars 2-record Soundtrack!
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
GI-Joe was a foot tall and had a beard,

And Kung-Fu grip!  Then they got a little PC and GI Joe became more of a big game hunter adventurer type on the Action Team. 

There were movies like Star Wars and Jaws...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:32:57 AM by usvi »
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2011, 11:24:06 AM »
And Kung-Fu grip!  Then they got a little PC and GI Joe became more of a big game hunter adventurer type on the Action Team. 

There were movies like Star Wars and Jaws...

BOLDED....

is doing to this country what no other power in the world can do.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
Have you ever watched G.I. Joe cartoon? That was the best. The HUB, that is a new channel if you never heard of it, is showing them again late at night. Must have watched four episode so far.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
Then again, life has gotten better.

1.) Women's rights have made huge strides, along with minority groups being able to get a decent job
2.) Medicine has made huge strides, steriliztion has become mandatory for all things
3.) No more lead in the paint
4.) No more lead in the gasoline
5.) No more lead in the pipes
6.) Airbags and full seatbelts mandatory on all non-racing cars
7.) Electric lawnmowers (thank goodness for those, the gasoline ones make my ears ring)
8.) The personal computer
9.) The internet
10-10,000.) New things one can do with the internet (research, find old friends)
10,010.) Non-stop flights from California to Bejing
10,011.) Genetically modified crops to boost food supply
10,012.) Fall of Communism
10,013.) AH2

You guys are confusing how fun being a kid was with the actual quality of life back then.  Now that you're an adult and life sucks, you blame it on the time period.

-Penguin
most people gain intelligence as they age...you're proving that the opposite is possible.

every socio-political item you consider "good", has had ramifications that you're generation will never understand.

only new construction is absent lead in paint and plumbing...removing it from gasoline has only proven to be an economic windfall for gasoline manufacturers...sterilization is not mandatory for all things only in medical and food processing industries, still doesn't stop infections from occurring and it's becoming more evident that sterilization processes have created resistant strains of bacteria and viruses...not sure what the difference is between a seat belt and a full seat belt is, i've seen them in cars since the mid 60s...electric lawn mowers were around in the 70s, and just as useless as they are now...

10,011.) Genetically modified crops to boost food supply
been happening since the 60s and hasn't improved the world food supply a single iota...with the exception of creating some heartier crops, the quality isn't the same as what nature intended...let's not forget the economic impact on the american farmer.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
most people gain intelligence as they age...you're proving that the opposite is possible.

every socio-political item you consider "good", has had ramifications that you're generation will never understand.

only new construction is absent lead in paint and plumbing...removing it from gasoline has only proven to be an economic windfall for gasoline manufacturers...sterilization is not mandatory for all things only in medical and food processing industries, still doesn't stop infections from occurring and it's becoming more evident that sterilization processes have created resistant strains of bacteria and viruses...not sure what the difference is between a seat belt and a full seat belt is, i've seen them in cars since the mid 60s...electric lawn mowers were around in the 70s, and just as useless as they are now...

been happening since the 60s and hasn't improved the world food supply a single iota...with the exception of creating some heartier crops, the quality isn't the same as what nature intended...let's not forget the economic impact on the american farmer.

QFT
-AoM-