Author Topic: Independent E6B  (Read 1045 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Independent E6B
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
I'd like to be able to have an E6B not attached to the clipboard.  It'd be nice to have it available at the same place and the same size whenever I need to reference it with a simple on/off switch without having to tinker with the clipboard.  Leave the clipboard for maps and charts, etc.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Independent E6B
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
You know you don't have to close the E6B (keep it open all the time) just press escape and it will appear and disappear with the whole clipboard.

Also in reality you almost never use an E6B in a cockpit unless you have an navigator or a copilot.

I know a few people here who keep a real E6B next to their computer to easier use (and it has a lot more functions), perhaps you want to look into that.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »
This has been requested before, sort of like the damage display is done within AH.

+1
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »
This has been requested before, sort of like the damage display is done within AH.

+1

Exactly.  TAS, IAS, Climb, Range, and Time Remaining (of flight) is all we'd need.  A quick reference just like the damage display.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
You know you don't have to close the E6B (keep it open all the time) just press escape and it will appear and disappear with the whole clipboard.

Also in reality you almost never use an E6B in a cockpit unless you have an navigator or a copilot.

I know a few people here who keep a real E6B next to their computer to easier use (and it has a lot more functions), perhaps you want to look into that.

The little cardboard E6B I was given when I started flying lessons... would be more of a hassle than clicking on the clipboard.  :lol   and fighter pilots had an E6B on their "knee board" and used it quite a bit especially in the PTO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
and fighter pilots had an E6B on their "knee board" and used it quite a bit especially in the PTO.
well if you're going to go by that...

TAS, IAS, Climb
all available on the instrument panel...so no need to have it in a "quick reference"...wasn't on the e6b the pilots had on their knees.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »
Since smartphone integration is all the rage these days we just need an app that ports the clipboard to your phone.  Then we can up the dweebery by wearing our phones as knee boards and always have our maps and e6b handy.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »
Since smartphone integration is all the rage these days we just need an app that ports the clipboard to your phone.  Then we can up the dweebery by wearing our phones as knee boards and always have our maps and e6b handy.

Way ahead of you... I have the scenario map with all the routes and radio channels on my smart phone for many past scenarios already.   :joystick:
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »
Good thing this isn't reality.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:27:40 PM »
well if you're going to go by that...

all available on the instrument panel...so no need to have it in a "quick reference"...wasn't on the e6b the pilots had on their knees.

True.  Then perhaps would should have them removed from the E6B on the clipboard?  The time remaining and range would be nice though. 

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »

Maybe you don't...I sure as heck did since I suck at doing math in my head....
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »
The little cardboard E6B I was given when I started flying lessons... would be more of a hassle than clicking on the clipboard.  :lol   and fighter pilots had an E6B on their "knee board" and used it quite a bit especially in the PTO.

I think if you get used to it you can use it as fast as a calculator, and the batteries never run out! One guy told me a few month ago "I bought mine [E6B] 40 years ago and the batteries still have not ran out". But I do understand that it does take a lot of time to learn to use it fast and for most people it's just not worth it. Depending on what kind of phone you have you can get a free E6B application. If you have a blackberry or an android phone I can help you find one.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for having more options on the ingame E6B, it's just that HTC will take some time to make it and I don't think you want to wait long.

Your right fighter pilots probably did use the E6B in PTO (I did not think of that), but they don't fly alone. One pilot could afford to put his head down to do the calculations while others scan for enemy aircraft.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »
Maybe you don't...I sure as heck did since I suck at doing math in my head....

Do you use it under IFR? Because you can't really afford to put your head down while under VFR (Need to be scanning for traffic).
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
I think if you get used to it you can use it as fast as a calculator, and the batteries never run out! One guy told me a few month ago "I bought mine [E6B] 40 years ago and the batteries still have not ran out". But I do understand that it does take a lot of time to learn to use it fast and for most people it's just not worth it. Depending on what kind of phone you have you can get a free E6B application. If you have a blackberry or an android phone I can help you find one.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for having more options on the ingame E6B, it's just that HTC will take some time to make it and I don't think you want to wait long.

Your right fighter pilots probably did use the E6B in PTO (I did not think of that), but they don't fly alone. One pilot could afford to put his head down to do the calculations while others scan for enemy aircraft.

Its not like P51s had to scan for aircraft when they were cruising on their way to Japan hundreds of miles out.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:31 PM »
Do you use it under IFR? Because you can't really afford to put your head down while under VFR (Need to be scanning for traffic).

Rarely IFR, it only takes a moment to spin the wheel and check time/distance/speed stuff...not like you're head down for any length of time.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"