Author Topic: Independent E6B  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Independent E6B
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »
Rarely IFR, it only takes a moment to spin the wheel and check time/distance/speed stuff...not like you're head down for any length of time.

This, I use it quite often in VFR for computing groundspeed
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 03:40:34 AM »
Its not like P51s had to scan for aircraft when they were cruising on their way to Japan hundreds of miles out.

Yes they did....

You ever tried flying in AH without looking for enemy fighters?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 03:58:30 AM »
Rarely IFR, it only takes a moment to spin the wheel and check time/distance/speed stuff...not like you're head down for any length of time.

Well I guess you can do that. I usually approximate those things to +/-2min (or +/-5min for greater distances) given my groundspeed it correct.

This, I use it quite often in VFR for computing groundspeed

How? To do that you need your winds, if your aircraft can tell you the winds than it can also tell you your groundspeed, if you don't have your winds than you need to use the winds that you checked before T/O therefore you might as well get your GS before T/O. The winds you ask the tower are on the deck, you can also ask FSS but they can only tell you the forecast which you could have got before T/O yourself. 
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »
Well I guess you can do that. I usually approximate those things to +/-2min (or +/-5min for greater distances) given my groundspeed it correct.

How? To do that you need your winds, if your aircraft can tell you the winds than it can also tell you your groundspeed, if you don't have your winds than you need to use the winds that you checked before T/O therefore you might as well get your GS before T/O. The winds you ask the tower are on the deck, you can also ask FSS but they can only tell you the forecast which you could have got before T/O yourself. 

You don't need the wind for groudspeed...you only need the time between two points.  Back to the books for you!!  :D
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 08:10:30 AM »
You don't need the wind for groudspeed...you only need the time between two points.  Back to the books for you!!  :D

Oh that kind of GS, I thought he was talking about the current GS. Your right that would work.

My avionics tell me all that stuff these days so I don't really have to calculate it  :bolt:
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »
I keep one of these in my car in case the opportunity to fly comes up unexpectedly.

Just an extra formula or two vs the E6B.

Aluminum E6B sure don't like the salt air near the florida coast.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
I keep one of these in my car in case the opportunity to fly comes up unexpectedly.

(Image removed from quote.)

Aluminum E6B sure don't like the salt air near the florida coast.

That's not an E6B, it's called CR3 (CR5 in your case)  :D
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »

Yes, I know the difference which I why I contrasted it's utilty vs the E6B.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:48:04 PM by icepac »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
double post...

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

Right, I'm an idiot.

:bolt:

I really like it's front side, but I can never get used to the back. E6B is so much easier to use for the winds.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn