Author Topic: Young pilot lands airplane on highway  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Young pilot lands airplane on highway
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
http://en.video.canoe.tv/video/raw-video:-emergency-landing-on-highway/919707470001

Really neat video. I wish all engine-out situations had a happy ending like this one did
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
Re: Young pilot lands airplane on highway
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
Very Good...Had to laugh he even pulled over....WTG.....I like how silent everyone was... :O

Kam

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »
pretty dam good.

he must've had an excellent CFI.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
They walked away which is great news.  Highways and roadways generally aren't good options for a host of reasons but BZ for a happy ending.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:06:37 PM »
excellent landing  :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »
Some pretty big eyes in the back seat, not that you can blame them.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
How about in a more urban area?

This is old(er):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiLrperYPIA

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
Very well done.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »
 :aok  :salute
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Waldo

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
 How bout from the movies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DzWNmCXmEg&feature=related

granted not an emergency but still  :O
I read it on the internet, so it must be true !

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
relatively common in alaska...

i always wonder how im gonna react if i would see this happening. Great job by the pilot!

we actually had this happen close to my house in the 50's-60's only it was a twin engine military aircraft (I want to say A-26 invader, but not sure). It lost power and landed... they ended up fixing the problem and taking back off from the highway
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:19 PM »
Extremely happy that he made it down in one piece, great landing and looking back at it - it's impossible to critique as he made it down without killing or hurting anyone. Looked as though there were a few fields he could have chosen from. By landing on that highway, he put even more lives in danger and was most likely thinking about saving the plane. It worked this time, and hopefully won't need to be tested again.

I hope I never have to put my money where my mouth is, but I hope I do the right thing and put myself before the plane, if I ever need to make that decision.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
Extremely happy that he made it down in one piece, great landing and looking back at it - it's impossible to critique as he made it down without killing or hurting anyone. Looked as though there were a few fields he could have chosen from. By landing on that highway, he put even more lives in danger and was most likely thinking about saving the plane. It worked this time, and hopefully won't need to be tested again.

I hope I never have to put my money where my mouth is, but I hope I do the right thing and put myself before the plane, if I ever need to make that decision.

myself and a friend were flying a 172.....well.....TRYING to fly it. N738RE. suffered a partial engine failure taking off. serious misfire at around 300 to 400 ft alt. got her to smooth out, and continued our climb to pattern alt, as i made the call that we were having trouble. 2 aircraft on downwind actually exited the pattern to the north, which i thought(afterwards) was unnecessary.
 we got her back on the runway, taxied up to the maintenance hangar, and shut her down.
 then we got yelled at for saving that airplane. the cfi that was yelling at us told us we should've declared an emergency, and landed in the field off the end of the runway. he said that as soon as that plane developed that problem, it belonged to the insurance company.

we were thanked by the club owner. i still think we did the right thing. that kid did the right thing too. if you notice when the kid with the camera points it back, there is only 1 car there. probably a very lightly traveled road to begin with.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »
then we got yelled at for saving that airplane. the cfi that was yelling at us told us we should've declared an emergency, and landed in the field off the end of the runway. he said that as soon as that plane developed that problem, it belonged to the insurance company.

First, he's a moron.

I really want to talk to someone who is actually giving the advice to "declare an emergency" and crash a flyable airplane to find out their thought process because it's wrong.

If you're still flying with that club and that moron is still there the both of you should come over to our hangar.  Load him up in the baggage compartment so he won't touch anything and fly over to Coatesville.  I'll buy the both of you lunch and some popcorn to hear what his experience really is.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »
First, he's a moron.

I really want to talk to someone who is actually giving the advice to "declare an emergency" and crash a flyable airplane to find out their thought process because it's wrong.

If you're still flying with that club and that moron is still there the both of you should come over to our hangar.  Load him up in the baggage compartment so he won't touch anything and fly over to Coatesville.  I'll buy the both of you lunch and some popcorn to hear what his experience really is.

LOL! That made me laugh
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."