Author Topic: Unexplored variants of existing planes?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Unexplored variants of existing planes?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
In that case, F7F and F8F:

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »
There is no limit on the NUMBER of craft that can be included. I think you all know the limits that HTC has imposed as to potential additions (i.e. "criteria")

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
Well......now that I know there are no limits, then we must explore every variant of existing planes as possible.

It is far easier to add variants than new models which might take some heat off of the developers.

I think some sort of minimum accepted confirmed action criteria should be established, though or we will end up with some pretty unreal planes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:55:36 PM by icepac »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 09:10:28 PM »
Variants are good, but they don't have the same draw as an entirely new unit.  What interests you more, getting a Bf110D, Mosquito Mk 30, P-38H or an Me410?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »
I came from sims that included the 410 and flew the 110 26 times as often but.....I flew the ki44 and j2m (before it was uber) much more often.

I stopped flying the J2m once it became uber around 2006.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
I thought about why the 410 was not used at the other sims and it was probably because the nature of the play there was more jabo/die/repeat than it is here.

I think the 410 would be a great addition here.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »
Then I suggest the only qualification should be:

1. existed b/w the Japanese invasion of asia proper and August '45
2. has sufficient flight data to allow HTC to model

3. saw combat

combat: engaged enemy forces of any kind during the course of a mission in WWII.... i.e. fighter/attack plane strafing ground targets and encountering ground fire / AA qualifies as a "combat sortie" whether it engaged in air combat with hostile aircraft of any form or not.....
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Eric122

• Zinc Member
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
i agree all variants of current aircraft should be added. that includes diffrent bomb loads and bombs like tall boy and the tiny tim roocket carried by the avenger and the grand slam. icould find a use for them.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
Since the F4Fs are due for remodeling, I'd like to see the addition of the F4F-3:

This was the variant used at Coral Sea and most of the early carrier actions. The -4 wasn't widely deployed with the fleet until Midway.
The -3 was the main type deployed with USMC squadrons in the Solomons, particularly during Guadalcanal.
An F4F-4 with the 4x .50cal option is NOT the same aircraft. That's an FM-1. The F4F-3 was some 1000lbs lighter than the -4 at full internal loading on the same engine and airframe.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »
Since the F4Fs are due for remodeling, I'd like to see the addition of the F4F-3:

This was the variant used at Coral Sea and most of the early carrier actions. The -4 wasn't widely deployed with the fleet until Midway.
The -3 was the main type deployed with USMC squadrons in the Solomons, particularly during Guadalcanal.
An F4F-4 with the 4x .50cal option is NOT the same aircraft. That's an FM-1. The F4F-3 was some 1000lbs lighter than the -4 at full internal loading on the same engine and airframe.
Thing I am skeptical about the F4F in AH is its durability.  I don't see how an airplane that weighs the same, basically, as a Spitfire Mk IX is so much tougher.  A bit tougher, sure, but there is only so much that can be done with that weight of aluminum and steel.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
Thing I am skeptical about the F4F in AH is its durability.  I don't see how an airplane that weighs the same, basically, as a Spitfire Mk IX is so much tougher.  A bit tougher, sure, but there is only so much that can be done with that weight of aluminum and steel.

Its the only thing going for it. I love upping the 4f4 wildcat (Not the FM2) and just attempting to get people to fight me.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »

How the weight was distributed and for what purpose? The Merlin 61 alone weighed ~400-500lbs more than the R-1830 Twin Wasp of the Wildcat, not to mention the added weight of the Merlin's radiator (which the air-cooled Twin Wasp lacks). Considering the additional operational stresses endured by carrier aircraft, that extra weight could very likely have been put instead into strengthening the airframe.

Ardy,

The F4F is actually quite a nice little fighter, especially in the Early War arenas (assuming you can find someone willing to fight and who's not just out to milk run bases). She'll give the early-mark Spits, Hurricanes and 109s a run for their money, especially if they're dumb enough to try turn-fighting you. It's really the Zero and Brewster she has to watch out for.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
The problem I have with that durability is that it is so durable, more so even than P-47s and F6F-5s in my experience, that it makes it very lopsided against the A6M2s in scenarios.  The A6M2 is so fragile and a brief snap shot from the F4F will likely destroy it while the A6M2 has virtually no chance to destroy the F4F with a snap shot and must saddle up for a long, sustained burst of 20mm fire in order to down one.  Saddling up on one F4F means another F4F can easily saddle up on you, and his shot is easier due to ballistics of the Type 99 Model 1 compared to the Browning .50.

I don't think the A6M2 should wholesale sweep the F4F from the skies, but I think the domination the F4F has over the A6M2 in AH is accurate either, and that is largely due to the ability of the F4F to ignore the fact it is being hit by 20mm rounds for a little while.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »
we need to stick a tater on a brewster :D, imagine the hell that thing could cause
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
is there a finnish employee at HTC?