Author Topic: GV Automatic Transmissions  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Greg

• Zinc Member
Re: GV Automatic Transmissions
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
The old transmission sucked. The way it works now is MUCH better. One you can stop from your gunsight and now instead of switching to driver stopping (or sometimes not quite stopping) then back to gun to try and shoot. now you just hit stop and your stopped. the only thing I can see is people want to go 100+ MPH down hills in N... other then that the old system sucked compared to the new one.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
For some reason, if you sit with engine running and shooting at someone, all of the sudden my tank will just start going and shifting through the gears, after say, 2-3 shots.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why we cant shift and select our own gears.  Planes have the ability to adjust their rpm and manifold pressure, so they are not operating as a fixed pitch propeller.  Is there any chance we can get the manual transmission back on the next patch?  The automatic transmission we have now is just not working well overall, in my opinion.  Thanks

set the parking brake..... :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 08:50:35 PM »
Maybe don't sit with your engine running...

Pick a better spot to sit, so you can turn off your engine.  Any friendlies around will appreciate the silence so they can more easily hear the enemy coming.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline prowl3r

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 11:19:37 PM »
i like the new tranny more mapping options would be nice but not nessarry. i have my "gear" selection mapped on j/s hatswith left accelerate, hat right slower, top left button full speed, top right button full stop. i have run into same thing and haveing the full stop on stick helps. a "harder" mapping would like a parking brake button would be nice, but id prolly be goin why wont the stupid thing move when im tryin too get out of your way  :bhead
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:27:50 PM by prowl3r »
in peace sons bury thier fathers, in war fathers bury thier sons

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:26 AM »
Maybe don't sit with your engine running...

Pick a better spot to sit, so you can turn off your engine.  Any friendlies around will appreciate the silence so they can more easily hear the enemy coming.

this is a VERY valid point.....especially considering the anti-idling laws all over the place. you could get a ticket.  :noid :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »
Initially I did not like the changes in the GV's at all - Really more of a knee jerk reaction because you have to learn the new controls. After the fix to turn off the mouse look option and re-introduction of use of rudder peddles for steering, I found it was close enough to what I found acceptable.

I have remapped a number of keys to suit my own setup and preferences.  I have found somethings are definately better and others less convenient, overall, whilst it is not perfect, it works well enough for me.

I think a fair few people in here need to review the way their gear is set up and make changes to suit. The auto-transmission box works just fine once your controls are properly set up. It is easy enough to check by taking your own sticks etc out of use and trying it with the keys only. It's then a matter of finding out what your stick and buttons are actually doing if it is not working as it should.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 08:40:42 AM »
 I have a problem with the shifting also. When I hit the W to start forward I stay in low gear the transmission will not speed up no matter how many times I push the W key. Then sometimes it will shift just fine or start to shift fine for no reason I can tell after punching the W key 50 times???

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
I have a problem with the shifting also. When I hit the W to start forward I stay in low gear the transmission will not speed up no matter how many times I push the W key. Then sometimes it will shift just fine or start to shift fine for no reason I can tell after punching the W key 50 times???

Could be a calibration issue See the thread link below

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,312586.0.html

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »
I did set up more deadband in the joystick rudder control, and it helped.  But if you accidently "twist"  if engine running while stopped tank will start moving.  If anything it should just pivot slowly, as in creeping in first gear. 
this is a VERY valid point.....especially considering the anti-idling laws all over the place. you could get a ticket.  :noid :rofl

Ya know, sometimes ya gotta sit behind a hill  or something and you are shooting at somebody.  I move back and forth a bit if I need to.  If I'm parked where I am comfortable, the tank should stay there without moving, unless I tell it to move forward or backward.  A parking brake such as the symbol .  or shift . would be great to keep tank still.  I wouldnt gripe a bit if we had a parking brake.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »

Have you tried holding the W key?  Like driving a car, you don't tap on the gas pedal and expect the car to accelerate...you have to hold your foot on the pedal.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »
There are no "improvements" only changes.

What is worse about these changes?  How were the old ones at all better?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »
What is worse about these changes?  How were the old ones at all better?

Nothing, everything is wonderful, 4,000 (?) people think the changes are great and I'm the only one who doesnt.

Game ID: Blimey

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
Nothing, everything is wonderful, 4,000 (?) people think the changes are great and I'm the only one who doesnt.

Actually, there are two who don't.  I don't like trying to drive a vehicle solely with the cruise control either.  Apparently everyone else uses their cruise control to drive not only on the freeways but city streets, around corners, in parking lots, and right into their garage.  We just don't have their massive skillz Wobbly. 

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

That really doesn't address any issues. It's more of a whine.

Actually, there are two who don't.  I don't like trying to drive a vehicle solely with the cruise control either.  Apparently everyone else uses their cruise control to drive not only on the freeways but city streets, around corners, in parking lots, and right into their garage.  We just don't have their massive skillz Wobbly. 

Cruise control...?

What exactly did you need to actively do to move forward before? What do you need to do now? Compare and contrast.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 12:54:08 AM »
Cruise control...?

What exactly did you need to actively do to move forward before? What do you need to do now? Compare and contrast.

wrongway

What we had before was an analog throttle/brake giving you fine control and immediate response; except for the annoying auto acceleration if you centered the stick.  Analog control is responsive: you can quickly make big changes or small changes. 

What we have now is exactly like a cruise control- push a button to accelerate, hold it down and wait until you reach the desired speed, push another button to reduce speed, hold it down until you slow down to the new desired speed.  Excellent for unattended cross country traveling, not so responsive for maneuvering in town or to take up a hull down position. 

What I'd want would be to be able to map the right toe brake as an analog vehicle throttle and the left toe brake as an analog brake (the twisty stick would then be the differential clutch/brake steering).  That'll never come to pass because then one would have to keep ones foot down on the throttle to keep moving.  So I'll continue to run into things and get killed when I overshoot my chosen hull down position.