Author Topic: Berets in the Army?  (Read 6512 times)

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: Berets in the Army?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »
Army could go back to the Tricorn hats. 
:rofl :rofl :rofl And powdered Wigs for Officers :aok

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »
This.

I'm sorry, I don't really deserve a voice in this discussion as I never toted a rifle or jumped into danger, but I have family who did, and it was a muther-luvin "spit in our faces" moment for the Rangers when the black berets were taken away from them and given to every leg grunt, to make them feel better about being in the Army. What. The. Eff. By some leg POS General who spent his career behind a desk.

You non-hackers can say what you want about "berets" but the guys who earned them (Airborne, Rangers, SF) would love for you to laugh about their headgear.

:salute to the guys who earned the right to wear them, back when it meant something.....

(Image removed from quote.)

Super 66, Mogadishu, Somalia, 1993.... My little brother is kneeling center with the M243 SAW
As I have said before the blame for that whole load of dung rests solely with Ret. General Eric Shinseki.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Bad call by Shineski on the Beret but I do love my Stryker. If I wanted a Beret I would have gone Spec Ops. Beret has always been a source of frustration, shaping the dam thing, shaving it...etc..
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
Bad call by Shineski on the Beret but I do love my Stryker. If I wanted a Beret I would have gone Spec Ops. Beret has always been a source of frustration, shaping the dam thing, shaving it...etc..

:lol That sounds more like a beard than a beret.

-Penguin

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
Sucks for those of us that had to earn a beret...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 02:49:23 AM »
What is the point of the baret? It does not block the sun that good and it catches a lot of dust being so fluffy. The Israeli army figured out it is an idiotic piece of clothing, but did not figure out how to completely get rid of it: soldiers stick it in the shoulder strap and NEVER wear it except for silly ceremonies. Its only real use is that it is where one attaches the army branch symbol, which is good, otherwise they'd have to find a place for it on the uniform.

Even generals stick it on the shoulder:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:51:26 AM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 06:19:01 AM »
What is the point of the baret? It does not block the sun that good and it catches a lot of dust being so fluffy. The Israeli army figured out it is an idiotic piece of clothing, but did not figure out how to completely get rid of it: soldiers stick it in the shoulder strap and NEVER wear it except for silly ceremonies. Its only real use is that it is where one attaches the army branch symbol, which is good, otherwise they'd have to find a place for it on the uniform.

Even generals stick it on the shoulder:
(Image removed from quote.)

Well, I guess the difference is whether or not one had to bleed extra for the right to wear one.

I'm glad I got out before the change was made...

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 06:59:57 AM »
The US Army needs to make an official regulation authorizing green bandanas for Special Forces, maroon bandanas for Airborne and black bandanas for Rangers in every day headwear. 

Just my .02
 :salute
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
I think you need to find other things to worry about.
Trying to get my mind off IEDs and people trying to kill me....sorry

:rofl :rofl :rofl And powdered Wigs for Officers :aok

<S> Oz
I like it :D
Im with Junky. Going to the berret for all was classic 'we are all winners' crap. Just like soccer leagues in Massachusetts not keeping score so no one gets their cute little feelings hurt. So a US Army cook, who would be flipping burgers at IHOP in the civiliam world gets to tell stories like they did something for real. I spent years as an M60A3 then M1A1 tanker and don't deserve the black berret.

Dump the PC crap and get back to where it should be. Rangers get black berret, SF green, paratroop maroon and dump the tan stuff. All the rest of us get soft caps and boots. Nuff said!

Boo
exactly
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »
For those who earned it <S>, I 'm a Red Leg, head gear doesn't define who I am.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
What's a red leg?

-Penguin

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
What's a red leg?

-Penguin

Field Artillery

Hooah!

Offline moochin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
The beret is an especially smart piece of military headgear. right up until the moment that it is issued to troops.

The British military have been able to pull it off for some generations, and a properly steamed beret is a damned sight smarter than any other piece of military headgear. Especially 'digital' camouflage 'baseball caps' :huh nevertheless  :salute to those who've earned the ones with the globe and laurels.

These chaps make it look fairly good :salute

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
Yea the Brits could always pull it off but most regular joes in the army dont wear it anywhere near right. and I would be more than happy to go to the pc full time.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
If it's that much trouble, why do we issue decorative headwear to people who are rolling in the mud, blood and dust all day long?  It seems like a waste of cloth and time that could be better spent than steaming and shaving berets.  Seriously, these beret-related verbs are becoming quite creepy.

-Penguin