Author Topic: Disc golf  (Read 663 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Disc golf
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »
Which kind of bud are you talking about? :banana:

-Penguin

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
disc golf is a blast.   there are at least 6 or 7 courses within 50 miles of here, so it's always fun to go do with a couple of buds 
You're from GB? Check out Sandy Point in Minocqua. (sp?)
See Rule #4

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
You're from GB? Check out Sandy Point in Minocqua. (sp?)

Yep from GB.    I usually go to Pamperin Park in GB or Bairds on the east side.   Seems like there is a new course put up every year.  UW Green Bay now has a course, and they just built a new one in Howard, on the west side.   If those get boring, there is Plamann Park in the Fox Valley, as well as Kaukaunas newly remodled course.   Not to mention the dozen or courses between Manitowoc and Sheboygan :)      plenty of disc golf to be done here  :aok
-AoM-

Offline Regular

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 12:26:09 AM »
Looks like hippy crap like hackeysack.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Looks like hippy crap like hackeysack.

yeah, that's about right  :aok      bring on the hippie crap I LOVE IT!  :rock
-AoM-

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
I used to love hackysack. We'd play for hours and it oftentimes ended with grievous injuries due to our proximity to buildings and equipment.  :lol
See Rule #4

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 06:51:03 PM »
Real Golf maybe?
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 07:02:38 PM »
Real Golf maybe?

Naww, I suck at it. Last time I went (~5yrs ago), my drive off of #1 was a beauty. Straight down the fairway and loooooong.

Only good shot of the day.  :furious

This disc golf thing might be the sort of sport I'm looking to do with the few friends I have that I don't hunt and fish with.
See Rule #4

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
Real Golf maybe?

real golf is fun too, there is nothing wrong with liking both.   disc golf is also FREE ;)   i rarely have the money to burn on hitting the links
-AoM-

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »

Ever try Archery Golf? 

That's a blast too.  We have a 9 hole course about 8-10 miles from my house.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »
Ever try Archery Golf? 

That's a blast too.  We have a 9 hole course about 8-10 miles from my house.

Is that like a 3D course or???  Used to shoot a lot of competitions back in the day but "archery golf" is a new one to me.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »
Is that like a 3D course or???  Used to shoot a lot of competitions back in the day but "archery golf" is a new one to me.

No, it's basically just like a golf course.  Actually, a regular golf course would work fine.  The only real difference is the fact that you don't need fancy grass; just mowed fairways.  The "rough" is generally just woods.  The hole is a 4" diameter plastic ball, on a wire stand which holds the ball a few inches above the ground.

You "drive" by lofting an arrow down the fairway.  In some cases, a 65-70# compound won't make it all the way (I prefer a logbow or recurve, but it doesn't matter).  In others, you'd better not go for max range...  You adjust mainly by altering your launch angle, but always at full-draw.

You generally "putt" by only pulling the string a few inches back, and firing with a high arch.  There's nothing to keep you from aiming directly at the ball and going for it, besides the fact that a miss will generally skip and go far beyond the "hole" (which usually means you're deep in the woods, er, "rough").

Usually, once you're close enough to fire at a steep enough downward angle to ensure the arrow will stick, you'll finish the hole with a full-draw "kill-shot".

Some people use specialty arrow tips as well.  Metal blunts drilled out with a welded-in nail for a spike-tip are great for those 40-75 yard shots because they'll grab and stick much better than a field point, which will bounce/deflect off the ground and sail far beyond.  Those wire-tip "judo" points work well for the same reason.  Some will switch to flu-flu arrows for those 100 or so yard shots too, to get into putting or kill-shot range.

It's really just like golf, with one bow but several arrows, instead of one ball but several clubs.

It's a good idea to use your worst arrows for "driving", because the fairways are kind of narrow  :devil

There's a lot of fun in just letting an arrow fly up into the sky, and watching it sail out a few hundred yards...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:59:31 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
LOL....we had archery golf at Camp Awana in Wisconsin...or was it illinois.

They had a huge archery golf course that was popular.

Sadly, playing through caused a couple of injuries.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »
LOL....we had archery golf at Camp Awana in Wisconsin...or was it illinois.

They had a huge archery golf course that was popular.

Sadly, playing through caused a couple of injuries.

Well, you've got to have some common sense I suppose...

All in all, probably safer than the drive to the camp, though.
MtnMan