Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89846 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2011, 02:16:08 AM »
Thing is though, because flaps increase the lift, and Fowler flaps especially so, doesn't this automatically decrease the radius as well because you can get slower and still make the turn?

I'm still not completely clear on the radius versus rate business, but I have observed what your data suggests especially about the Corsair.  :headscratch:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 02:26:37 AM »
Are we talking about sustained turn rate?  Some flaps produce an enormous amount of drag compared with lift, and engine power alone will not compensate.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »
Are we talking about sustained turn rate?  Some flaps produce an enormous amount of drag compared with lift, and engine power alone will not compensate.
Thats it. Maybe the fowler design is producing less drag, allowing the engine to pull the plane around quicker in the sustained?

Any experts??
AoM
City of ice

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2011, 05:00:13 AM »

:aok
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2011, 01:18:41 AM »
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2011, 01:24:21 AM »
Just remember that the Whirlwind didn't really amount to much.  The engines were poor and unreliable and frankly the service record was poor.  Had she been a world beater, you can bet there would have been more of them.  As she wasn't a world beater, there were not more of them :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2011, 03:00:19 AM »
I think it was a sound design let down by engines which were approaching the end of their developmental lifespan, whereas the Merlin series was just starting out, and the airframe couldn't accommodate a larger unit, so that was the end of that. Regardless the aircraft did make a long and valid contribution to Britain's war effort.

For Aces High my feeling is that the criteria of 'world beater' is a poor measure for whether an aircraft should be included or not, or indeed if it would be fun to fly and fight in or not.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2011, 03:05:04 AM »
I think it was a sound design let down by engines which were approaching the end of their developmental lifespan, whereas the Merlin series was just starting out, and the airframe couldn't accommodate a larger unit, so that was the end of that. Regardless the aircraft did make a long and valid contribution to Britain's war effort.

For Aces High my feeling is that the criteria of 'world beater' is a poor measure for whether an aircraft should be included or not, or indeed if it would be fun to fly and fight in or not.

Not until after the Beaufighter :)

At least that one was there from beginning to end, and served everywhere in large numbers.  2 engines and 4 20mms on that one too :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2011, 03:32:43 AM »
Oh now I see what you were doing. Bog off and make a separate Beaufighter thread  :P

I think all the interesting aircraft should be included. I like fighters so obviously the Whirlwind interests me more. The first Whirlwind request thread I could find was dated about ten years ago. I'm sure it's the same for the Beaufighter too.

Incidentally I met a Canadian Beaufighter pilot once. He was once shot in the cockpit area and had to fly home on one engine with a smashed windscreen. He said he never did worry about anything much in life after that day.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2011, 03:55:48 AM »
Just remember that the Whirlwind didn't really amount to much.  The engines were poor and unreliable and frankly the service record was poor.  Had she been a world beater, you can bet there would have been more of them.  As she wasn't a world beater, there were not more of them :)
How many 109 g-6s were built? Was it a world beater aircraft?  ;)
Seriously, Beaufighter or Whirlwind, its equal to me. Both are valid requests, unlike someone elses experimental jets...
I "think" the game is more fun if not all you have is spit16, pony, tempest or 262. The British planeset is quite short except the line of spitfires. IMO this should be at high priority, right after the update of the old 3d models, the russian update (jak-9, jak-3, tu-2/pe-2) and the german medium bomber (ju-188 or he-111/do-217 as EW).
 :salute
AoM
City of ice

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
Bung it in it looks ugly enough to be cool.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2011, 12:57:49 AM »
Here ya go Whirlwind fans.  Images 248-265.  Try and contain yourselves :)
http://www.flightglobal.com/imagearchive/Image.aspx?GalleryName=Photo%20Archive/1939-1945&Image=FA_18456s

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »
Been there, raided the stash like pirates, left one tomato spinning on the plate and left  :banana: Thanks.

Some of the pictures of the pilots and ground crews are very atmospheric.

Yup, that nose means business. What would you guess, a maximum of twelve inches between bores? Close in snap shots, tracking shots, long range shots, no troublesome convergence issues. Surely this would be the most versatile fighter armament (in AH I mean). I think the essence of the Whirlwind is here. Get rid of the big engine in the nose, slide two smaller engines out into the wings just to make room for the guns.

Does anybody know what the maximum range is in Aces High for the Hispano round by the way? I heard a rumour that after 1000 yards .50 cals disappear (cease to be modelled) for instance. Is this true?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2011, 01:46:43 AM »
60 round drums for those 20s though.  250 each for a Beaufighter's 4 20mm, and you get 6 303's too :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2011, 01:51:54 AM »
Yeah but with the Whirlwind you don't need an armorer scurrying around in the weapons bay changing drums in the dark  :rock

240 rounds in total is still fairly healthy for a fighter, but I suppose no longer firing time than a Spit V. Have to be choosy about your shots.

Two different kinds of aircraft really. Where is the most recent Beaufighter request thread? I'll have a read of it.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-