Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89739 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
For me personally this is also a very emotive aircraft because it epitomises the fighting spirit of my homeland at a time when they literally fought for their very survival. Most poignantly the eight Whirlwinds that fought to their deaths outnumbered in the channel dash. One gets sentimental with maturity.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »
I agree.

If not for the British at that time, who knows what the next few years would have been for far more people.

When I was a child I lived in Luton. My father earned his silver C at the Dunstable Downs gliding the slopes. Tiger Moths and Dragon Rapides are fantastic living art by Mr. Dehavilland which were frequent sights and a ride for me once. I can never forget the smell of warm doped fabric in just mowed feilds. The tiger Moths acted as glider tugs. I was once afforded the privlege as a child of sitting in a spitfire at a war memorial display near the Downs.

For the history and thanks to the brave heros all those years ago, this would be a great addition to the game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »
I agree.

If not for the British at that time, who knows what the next few years would have been for far more people.

When I was a child I lived in Luton. My father earned his silver C at the Dunstable Downs gliding the slopes. Tiger Moths and Dragon Rapides are fantastic living art by Mr. Dehavilland which were frequent sights and a ride for me once. I can never forget the smell of warm doped fabric in just mowed feilds. The tiger Moths acted as glider tugs. I was once afforded the privlege as a child of sitting in a spitfire at a war memorial display near the Downs.

For the history and thanks to the brave heros all those years ago, this would be a great addition to the game.

Oh the Dragon Rapide... one of the most beautiful planes ever created.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2012, 07:38:50 AM »

:rock
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »
+1 for this beautiful aircraft
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:35 AM »
Apparently Classic Aircrames make a model of this aircraft in 1:48th scale but I've been unable to find one for sale on eBay:-

Coorrr, look at the nacelles on that one, and look at the length of those wings. I definitely would  :banana:

Also have a look at this fellow's efforts, he built a 1:32nd scale model. FROM SCRATCH!

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=6996&st=270

Scroll down a bit for the finished model, and then look back through the pages for his build.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »

:bolt:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #292 on: August 04, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »
Cockpit.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:23 AM »
Hasn't this awesome, fun little aircraft not been added yet? I've been away from Aces High for absolutely ages!  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
The Old Plastic Model Kits site lists a special-order 1:32 scale vacuum-formed kit (includes resin and cast metal parts) for US $100.  And from the description, it sounds like an expert-modeler kind of kit.

Apparently Classic Aircrames make a model of this aircraft in 1:48th scale but I've been unable to find one for sale on eBay:-

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
The Old Plastic Model Kits site lists a special-order 1:32 scale vacuum-formed kit (includes resin and cast metal parts) for US $100.  And from the description, it sounds like an expert-modeler kind of kit.

1:32 is a bit too big for me. Another Classic Aircrames 1:48 just went on ebay but it was over $80  :rolleyes:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »
This! For Shida  :aok

:cheers:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2012, 06:07:40 AM »
This! For Shida  :aok

:cheers:

JUGgler

:rock   :salute

I'm afraid I don't have anymore material to contribute. Except the original pilot's manual. No one wants to see that, right?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Beermat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #299 on: November 26, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
I recently acquired some of the blueprints:-

Just to clear this up.. did you 'acquire' these, or are you in fact posting the content of the Whirlwind project site, without accreditation and without acknowledgement of the actual copyright holders  - in several cases AgustaWestland, and in one ca se - the wing section sketches, me.