Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 90954 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #465 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:38 PM »
who said anything about excluding any plane....but look at the time frame, the last aircraft added was the tu-2...that was january 2014.  if we are going to get a new aircraft or vehicle every 1 and a half years.i think there are better aircraft and vehicles to choose from than the swirlwind...but hey, keep it on the list. it may appear in the year 2134.
What makes you think the time HTC is working on AH3 can be used to predict the rate at which units will be added once v3.00 is released?  That seems a fairly absurd position to hold.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #466 on: September 09, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »
who said anything about excluding any plane....but look at the time frame, the last aircraft added was the tu-2...that was january 2014.  if we are going to get a new aircraft or vehicle every 1 and a half years.i think there are better aircraft and vehicles to choose from than the swirlwind...but hey, keep it on the list. it may appear in the year 2134.

And, i'm assuming that there would be a "chunky" variant as well.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #467 on: September 23, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
Any of you guys unsure Waffle isn't spending his time bringing all of the AH1 vintage models up to AH3 standards? If you install the alpha, there is a new TBM model to look at along with historic gunsights installed in every aircraft. And updates to the CV along with all of the new airfields, villages, towns and strats. Oh, and clouds with miles of shadows over the terrains, and sheep in their own arena. All of the post lighting effects.

I'm not sure how so many in this forum have such good inside info on Waffle's production abilities when many seem to have not shown up in the open alpha yet, or spent time over the last year in the closed alpha.

So what's Waffle's bribe, I want the round glass gunsight in the Spit MKI.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #468 on: October 23, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »
+1 on the Whirlwind.

Offline Monza2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #469 on: November 08, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
I belong to a group in the UK who are recreating a Westland Whirlwind. From what I can find out it was faster than the early Spits, could out turn or stay with a Hurricane and out climb both till they had engine updates. It was only slightly large than the Hurricane but had a combined 1800hp. Its major problem was its high landing speed. This was due to the the very aerodynamic design that included forward wing edge oil coolers, the Spit and Hurrie had flared out vents that created drag. A very interesting design that never had the chance to reach its full potential

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #470 on: November 09, 2015, 02:09:27 AM »
A very interesting design that never had the chance to reach its full potential
I absolutely agree. In many ways it is similar to the mosquito, except of course that it was designed for a very different purpose. The next Brit twin engine Fighter was the DH Hornet - the evolution of the mossie into a single seat day Fighter. It was a total monster. I imagine the whirlwind could have been something similar had it been continued. Too bad that the RAF did not have a real need for a twin day Fighter (and Fighter bomber till the arrival of mossie FB.VI). It would have been interesting to see its development.

It is still a very good addition to the AH early war roster that may get some use even in the MA.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #471 on: November 10, 2015, 05:33:36 PM »
I bet a small group of players will have an instant affinity with this ride's strengths and make others whine in here about it being over modeled. And too much fire power..............

:noid
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #472 on: February 04, 2016, 01:16:36 PM »
Just checking in to see if my lost Imageshack pictures have been restored and indeed they are. What a relief. Also a terrible thought that such a wealth of resources painstakingly uploaded by a lot of people to make a truly award-winning wishlist thread are in fact 'perishable' over time. Probably the best thing would be to model the Whirlwind asap as soon as AH3 is released. Yes probably the safest thing to do all round  :devil  :banana: :bolt:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »
Heya Shida, I hope all is well with you and yours!

:salute

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2016, 07:14:22 PM »
I still want muh whirlybird!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +1
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #475 on: April 04, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
Then the Fw190a9 would be done in an hour (3cm longer cooling ring than the A8 ), and 20mph faster

Which is appropriate in a discussion about which variants of existing airframes in AH to add, but the work load to add a variant is far lower than the workload to add a new plane so they are not comparable.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #476 on: April 30, 2016, 02:22:55 AM »
Here's an interesting thought. The neighbouring Beaufighter wishlist thread (http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,255408.0.html) has been viewed 67,788 times and this one 34,262 so far (2:1). However the production figures are 5,928 Beaufighters to 114 Whirlwinds (52:1!). I'd have thought the Whirlwind a far less known / interesting aircraft.

So either this thread is doing (/has done) good work to raise the profile or there's an awful lot of closet Whirlwind fans around that don't say very much  :noid  +1s would really help. Well, that and whisky sent to Texas, apparently. 

Who wants to join a dedicated Whirlwind squadron for the MA when it gets included? :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 30, 2016, 04:33:02 AM »
Who wants to join a dedicated Whirlwind squadron for the MA when it gets included? :banana:

That would have been great in my time  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #478 on: April 30, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »
Here's an interesting thought. The neighbouring Beaufighter wishlist thread (http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,255408.0.html) has been viewed 67,788 times and this one 34,262 so far (2:1). However the production figures are 5,928 Beaufighters to 114 Whirlwinds (52:1!). I'd have thought the Whirlwind a far less known / interesting aircraft.

The Beaufighter is essentially a slower, less maneuverable Mossie. It would be very useful for scenarios but in the MA it would just have a niche role as a torpedo-carrying fighter bomber. The Whirlwind would see a lot more use in the MA. I'd guess that near the deck it would be faster than anything that could out turn it and out turn anything faster, plus its got Fowler flaps, counter-rotating props, a bubble canopy and four nose-mounted Hizookas. It ought to have a popularity in the MA out of all proportion to its RL importance to the RAF.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:30:29 AM by Greebo »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #479 on: April 30, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
That would have been great in my time  :old:

You'll just have to come back  :rock

The Whirlwind would see a lot more use in the MA. I'd guess that near the deck it would be faster than anything that could out turn it and out turn anything faster, plus its got counter-rotating props, a bubble canopy and four nose-mounted Hizookas. It ought to have a popularity in the MA out of all proportion to its RL importance to the RAF.

It'll get murdered by everything built after 1943  :rofl  We'll be all too busy looking good to care though, especially in a squadron strength  :banana:

Only the prototypes had contra-rotating props Greebo. They dropped that feature for the production aircraft, even though it was very easy to achieve with the Peregrine. I think the energy retention and slow-speed handling and turning would be also very useful assets, make Corsair pilots envious. Plus the armament and visibility as you say. Short clip though so you'll have to be a sniper shot! Did I mention it's got an inbuilt rear-view mirror. Is that doable now in AHIII?

If it gets included I'll teach everyone who joins the squadron how to do a true hammerhead turn with a single throttle.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-