Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89747 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #480 on: April 30, 2016, 09:11:13 AM »
Its way too slow to be an uberplane but there are still people who fly Zeroes, Brewsters, Spits and Hurricanes in the MA and this thing would be a menace to them all. Even the bore and zoom brigade will be wary of being sniped by that gun package.

It ought to be a great field defence aircraft. Shame about the lack of counter rotating engines though.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #481 on: April 30, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
Its way too slow to be an uberplane but there are still people who fly Zeroes, Brewsters, Spits and Hurricanes in the MA and this thing would be a menace to them all.

Yup for sure. If it handled like imagined I'd be in it an awful lot. Twin-engines really an extra dimension.

Even the bore and zoom brigade...

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok

It ought to be a great field defence aircraft. Shame about the lack of counter rotating engines though.

Yeah shouldn't be too much of a drawback. I find the Mosquito more stable in the vert than the P-38 somehow. Well more in the recovery I suppose.

Sufficient skinning reference material in this thread for you should it be needed Greebo? In the extremely unlikely event it's needed 

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #482 on: April 30, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
Who wants to join a dedicated Whirlwind squadron for the MA when it gets included? :banana:

If you are the CO, I'm in
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #483 on: April 30, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
If you are the CO, I'm in

Well hurrah and huzzah, God save the King, rule Britania and boo sucks to Harry the Hun  :banana:

First standing order: everyone help each other with flying technique, always do something stupid if it's more funny than sensible and always be a Gentleman in the Sid James
and Terry Thomas stylee, remember that rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Second standing order: refer to order one.  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #484 on: April 30, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
Sufficient skinning reference material in this thread for you should it be needed Greebo? In the extremely unlikely event it's needed 

I vaguely recall keeping some info from the Beaufighter thread but I haven't for the Whirlwind. While I'd love to see it in the game I just can't see it being introduced any time soon.

What I'm generally looking for first when I start a new skin template is a panel line diagram that also shows the rivet layout. Also photos of the aircraft to compare to HTC's shape, as well as photos and diagrams of details like the gear and inner gear doors etc. Photos showing camouflage schemes and weathering are not a priority at this stage but are stored for later.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #485 on: April 30, 2016, 09:12:13 PM »
What I'm generally looking for first when I start a new skin template is a panel line diagram that also shows the rivet layout. Also photos of the aircraft to compare to HTC's shape, as well as photos and diagrams of details like the gear and inner gear doors etc. Photos showing camouflage schemes and weathering are not a priority at this stage but are stored for later.

I stole the blueprints and put them here. Does this show the panel lines and rivets well enough?:-

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,313538.msg4198413.html#msg4198413

Some nice profiles courtesy of Fish42 on this page:-

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,313538.msg4250843.html#msg4250843

While I'd love to see it in the game I just can't see it being introduced any time soon.

Whisky, we need a Patreon account for whisky. This one was HiTech's favourite wasn't it?:-

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #486 on: May 01, 2016, 02:27:24 AM »

I stole the blueprints and put them here. Does this show the panel lines and rivets well enough?:-

Some nice profiles courtesy of Fish42 on this page:-

That would be enough info to base a template on. There's more variation of camo schemes than I was expecting too, given there's only a couple of squadrons to choose from.

I think the rarity of the Whirlwind is what will prevent it getting in, HTC only seem to do rare types if they are German or American...... ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:37:03 AM by Greebo »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #487 on: May 02, 2016, 03:00:16 AM »
That would be enough info to base a template on. There's more variation of camo schemes than I was expecting too, given there's only a couple of squadrons to choose from.

I think the rarity of the Whirlwind is what will prevent it getting in, HTC only seem to do rare types if they are German or American...... ;)

Well it is of course at the discretion of HTC to include whatever they choose. Many contributors to this thread have expended a lot of energy to collate all of the information that could be found to make the job easier for them if they decided to include it. Blueprints, technical data, cross-sections, control surface, flaps and slats operation, paint schemes, the original pilot's manual and even the restricted evaluation reports obtained from Kew. That's why I was checking if you would have enough data to proceed, with your skinning skills. I dare say you won't find a more comprehensive and motivated wishlist thread.

We, as ordinary players, can't do more anymore than that.

:pray
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2016, 04:30:46 AM »
I hope it does get in and I think there is plenty of info here for the external shape to be created. I'd much rather see this than say a Meteor.

Can't say what level of data is needed to determine flight or damage modelling but British planes tend to be well documented in this regard. From past experience one of the things that can be an issue for HTC with aircraft that no longer exist in a museum somewhere is finding info for the internal cockpit art. Not just the dashboard, but what the seat, floor, control column, pedals, minor controls, cockpit back and sides looked like.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:42:41 AM by Greebo »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #489 on: May 02, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »
I hope it does get in and I think there is plenty of info here for the external shape to be created. I'd much rather see this than say a Meteor.

Can't say what level of data is needed to determine flight or damage modelling but British planes tend to be well documented in this regard. From past experience one of the things that can be an issue for HTC with aircraft that no longer exist in a museum somewhere is finding info for the internal cockpit art. Not just the dashboard, but what the seat, floor, control column, pedals, minor controls, cockpit back and sides looked like.

Very good point Greebo, the voice of experience, many thanks. Hold the phone...

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #490 on: May 02, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
First some structural stuff pertaining to the cockpit:-

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #491 on: May 02, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
Orthogonal cross section (very handy for positioning I think):-

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #492 on: May 02, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »
Port:-

Starboard with seat removed:-

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #493 on: May 02, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »
Earlier version Starboard (seat present):-

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #494 on: May 02, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »
I know I included the instrument panel once before but I'm too lazy to check which one. This one shows some floorboard detail:-

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-