Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89753 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #525 on: May 09, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »
Greebo,

Your explanations being very precise and informative, will be trumped by emotions until all the kapowi, whizbang, steroid monsters from WW2 are introduced. After all that, you will be told it doesn't need to be introduced because it has no whizbang and failed in WW2 because it couldn't be steroid enhanced like later monsters.

I bet Waffle will have fun making this one and reading the whines from the whizbang kids that Hitech is killing the game introducing losers.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #526 on: May 09, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
Greebo,

Your explanations being very precise and informative, will be trumped by emotions until all the kapowi, whizbang, steroid monsters from WW2 are introduced. After all that, you will be told it doesn't need to be introduced because it has no whizbang and failed in WW2 because it couldn't be steroid enhanced like later monsters.

I bet Waffle will have fun making this one and reading the whines from the whizbang kids that Hitech is killing the game introducing losers.

"Emotions" are a pejorative synonym for "what players want"?  You really need to stop insulting everyone that doesn't agree with you.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #527 on: May 09, 2016, 12:31:48 PM »
The P-63 saw very little, if any, action in WW2. The Whirlwind only equipped a couple of squadrons but was used extensively by them for a period of two and a half years.

It is also a very different aircraft to any other twin in the game. Its AH equivalents are planes like the Hurri IIC or Spit V, not the Mossie or P-38.

I think all the high volume planes have been covered, so new additions will all be low use.  My question is if the gun package is the the same as a SPitV or a HurryIIc why is anyone going to take a whirlwind up instead of either of those two?  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #528 on: May 09, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
vinkman because some people think it would be cool to up 1 for a sorty or two.  then forget about it when they get killed easily.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #529 on: May 09, 2016, 12:48:13 PM »
I think all the high volume planes have been covered, so new additions will all be low use.  My question is if the gun package is the the same as a SPitV or a HurryIIc why is anyone going to take a whirlwind up instead of either of those two?  :salute

I think the attributes and predicted characteristics of the Whirlwind have been covered sufficiently in this thread if you care to take your time and read through it. Respectfully Vikman, I think your best bet to have your favourite plane included is to make a similar, comprehensive wishlist thread instead of using this thread as leverage.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #530 on: May 09, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
I think the attributes and predicted characteristics of the Whirlwind have been covered sufficiently in this thread if you care to take your time and read through it. Respectfully Vikman, I think your best bet to have your favourite plane included is to make a similar, comprehensive wishlist thread instead of using this thread as leverage.

I did read it. This comment gets to the reasons for adding planes, which Buster and Greebo were making the case for. Valid question
Who is John Galt?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #531 on: May 09, 2016, 12:57:41 PM »
I did read it. This comment gets to the reasons for adding planes, which Buster and Greebo were making the case for. Valid question

Frankly your approach seems a little disingenuous and, well, lazy. You can't swan in, poo poo a decent thread, the result of considerable hard work from a lot of people for a long time, because you'd prefer something else. Well you can, I can't imagine it working though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:04:59 PM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #532 on: May 09, 2016, 01:04:42 PM »
Shida, did you just poo poo a poo poo?!  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #533 on: May 09, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
Shida, did you just poo poo a poo poo?!  :old:

Naturally  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #534 on: May 09, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »
Frankly your approach seems a little disingenuous and, well, lazy. You can't swan in, poo poo a decent thread, the result of considerable hard work from a lot of people for a long time, because you'd prefer something else. Well you can, I can't imagine it working though.

Apologies it seemed like a hijack attempt. My point was more along the lines of "why people ask for planes" I used my plane as example of "why" I want it, not "that" I want it.

Sorry if it seemed like a Hijack. But I wonder why people are passionate about planes that already have performance replicas in the hangar, they just look different. I got that impression about the Whirlwind BECAUSE I read the thread. I learned that it's a slower, worse turning Mossie with less ammo. I wonder, who then is going to take one out of the hangar other than people who think it looks cool?  Maybe that's enough.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #535 on: May 09, 2016, 02:18:36 PM »
Naturally  :old:
Well, I hope so, Shida. You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #536 on: May 09, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
I learned that it's a slower, worse turning Mossie with less ammo.

I got  completely different impression from this thread.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #537 on: May 09, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »
I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error!

:rofl :aok
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #538 on: May 09, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
I learned that it's a slower, worse turning Mossie with less ammo. I wonder, who then is going to take one out of the hangar other than people who think it looks cool?  Maybe that's enough.  :salute

I think you may be getting the Beaufighter and Whirlwind a little mixed up. The Beaufighter would essentially be a slower, worse turning and climbing Mossie, although tougher and with a little more firepower and the ability to carry a torpedo. The Whirlwind was a much smaller and lighter aircraft than these two and was by all accounts very maneuverable, more in line with a Hurri II or a Spit V. The Hurri II gets used and that is slower than a Whirlwind, nothing with four Hispanos is going to be a hangar queen.

I'd class the P-63 with other end of the war uber planes like the F7F, F8F and He 162 which would have an impact on the game out of all proportion to their miniscule effect on WW2. There are very few fighters that saw significant service in WW2  left to model that would also be competitive in the MA but I can think of a few. There is the Gloster Meteor, the Fiat G.55 and the Ki 100. If you include variants of existing rides there is the high-alt Mosquito Mk 30 and the Mustang Mk IA, which was the RAF's four cannon variant of the P-51A. The Allison Mustangs were very fast below 10K where most MA fighting is done.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:48:49 PM by Greebo »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #539 on: May 09, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
That was technically a field mod when they moved to Whirlybomber mode. Same business with the 109: there was a wiggle as they opened. There is an erroneous report that the slats made the wings snap off. That originates in a post-war 'journalistic' article. There's no evidence that that ever hapened and the Whirlwind operated for a long time with the Handley Page Slats fully operational.

Certainly those that fought and died in the channel dash were pre-Whirybomber, full slats.

So I did read that the slats were wired shut,just that it was done in the field.

Another question,did the peregrine engine use the same or similar carburation to the early merlins,as in a nonpressurized deal that would cut out under neg G's?

:salute