Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 535 times)

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
Game of Thrones
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
This show is FULL of twists and turns.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »
So are the books it's based on. Personally, I think they're overrated. The only likeable or honorable characters end up dead, and considering I like to read fantasy to ESCAPE the sort reality Martin creates that's a major fail.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »
Boobies every episode.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »
  Ive watched every episode so far, but I gotta tell ya..its tuff to follow. Theres too many characters to remember, and being a 1 hr show 1 night a week you dont see enough of it to stayed involved. My favorite character is Starks youngest daughter who is the Tomboy. Again, her name escapes me.

I want to like the show, but it comes off as a soap opera. It hints of cool things, but so far has been pretty lame.

~AoM~

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
I have not read the books, but have been following the series. The plot is a bit too complex for me to follow and it would be much easier for me if I had read the books. The books are on my list of things to read, however. The shows do indeed look like a soap opera to me. I love the fantasy genre, so at least in that respect, the shows have sparked an interest for me.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
I usually watch it twice to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have started reading the first book and find it is much easier to keep up with who everyone is from the show. The book has ALOT more details about everything as well (being that it is only a one hour show). I hope they end up doing all the books.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
So are the books it's based on. Personally, I think they're overrated. The only likeable or honorable characters end up dead, and considering I like to read fantasy to ESCAPE the sort reality Martin creates that's a major fail.
++

He also switches plot lines way too much and most of the plot lines are just miserable and unenjoyable.  After slogging through the first book and skimming the second I gave up on it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
++

He also switches plot lines way too much and most of the plot lines are just miserable and unenjoyable.  After slogging through the first book and skimming the second I gave up on it.

I made it through the third, and the Red Wedding is what finally killed it for me. No loyalty and no sense of honor among any of the characters who come out on top.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
I have watched every episode so far and am fully enjoying it.  I have to admit there were a an episode or two where I had to go online just to make sure I understood everything correctly.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
I made it through the third, and the Red Wedding is what finally killed it for me. No loyalty and no sense of honor among any of the characters who come out on top.

Part of the appeal for me is that's not a good vs evil story. The "evil" characters' motivations are explored just as fully as those of the "good" characters. I got bogged down in the middle of the second one but picked it up again after the HBO series started. Totally hooked now.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:02:03 PM »
Love the books, the series is decent (I am enjoying it).

I like that it's not the typical fantasy novel which are boring and predictable. The novels are all shades of grey
and he is ruthless to all the characters. I enjoy the characters good and evil equally, for me it's who's
coming out on top. I favor some characters over others but enjoy them all and their stories.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
The Dwarf is the most interesting of all.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
I enjoyed how dark the story is.  We're so used to the "good guys always win" that, for me, it was refreshing to see plot lines that danced within the shades of gray instead of the black and white of most fantasy stories.  Also, no magic = bonus, IMO.  My only complaint is that the books have taken a very long time to get the story to where it is.  I feel like this epic climax is on the horizon, but I have no idea whether or not that is going to be 1 or 4 books into the future.  I'm figuring Martin is going to kick before he wraps everything up, if he keeps this pace going.

Last, and I'm putting the flame proof jacket on for this, there is entirely too much nudity and sex.  The books included the somewhat "rated R" type content, but did it in ways that weren't gratuitous.  Those scenes in the book felt necessary.  Some of the sex and boobs HBO is showing simply detract from the story.  The story is very powerful and complex, but surely HBO intended it for more than the teenage boys of the world.  The nudity might keep others away--kind of like back in the day when you heard a great song on an album, but knew it would never get airplay because of all the f-bombs.  Anyway, I'm 37 and I don't need any of that to stay interested.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 12:47:36 AM »
Kinda irked me that he started this instead of to finishing the series. wonder how long well have to wait? Already been what 4 years since the last book?

"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 06:18:18 AM »
I enjoyed how dark the story is.  We're so used to the "good guys always win" that, for me, it was refreshing to see plot lines that danced within the shades of gray instead of the black and white of most fantasy stories.

George RR Martin is one of my favorite authors; his characters are exceptionally well developed and believable, and he's not afraid to kill of one of his mains.  Totally shocks and surprises you...

"Winter is Comming"

The world he sets the story in is a dark time, with twists and subplots that really grab you and suck you in.  I think they did a great job on the HBO series...but to truly appreciate it you should read the series.  I'm reading them for the second time; it's a cheap download on your Nook or IPad, and you can watch the entire series on-demand on a laptop connection (I have dish network, so I'm unable to use my receiver to do this), or with the HBO Go app...

Part of the appeal for me is that's not a good vs evil story. The "evil" characters' motivations are explored just as fully as those of the "good" characters. I got bogged down in the middle of the second one but picked it up again after the HBO series started. Totally hooked now.

:aok
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix