Author Topic: new weather warning device is needed badly.  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: new weather warning device is needed badly.
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
Even then,  you can't even hear them hardly from my location. So whether your in a house or not, you won't hear it either way.

What's your point with all this?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
You didn't answer my question.  Why do you believe it is the government's responsibility to take care of you when you are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself?
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »
You didn't answer my question.  Why do you believe it is the government's responsibility to take care of you when you are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself?
Its the Governments job to protect its people I recall.
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2011, 11:35:11 PM »

:huh  Oh Brother!~  :frown:  :(

Please don't come to Texas.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2011, 11:39:28 PM »
Words of a Teenager, I'm sorry I haven't seen the world like all of you. You can't take me serious all the time, but I never said you can't take me seriously at all. I'm just saying give me a break.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:17 PM »
...when you are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself?

Herein lies the problem.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:40 PM »
Yeah from hostile foreign aggressors.  Not people from themselves.  Down that way lies madness; among other things.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »
 The entitlement generation is in trouble   :rofl
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:57:09 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:45 AM »
The entitlement generation is in trouble   :rofl
I never said I was entitled to anything

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
:huh  Oh Brother!~  :frown:  :(

Please don't come to Texas.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2011, 05:51:56 AM »
im in the lower half, towards Kentucky. Clermont County.

and yes, yesterday i had looked out the window, and it was amazingly sunny. i was actually playing aceshigh. and i couldn't hear the sirens over the sounds of my planes engine. it was only after i landed that i heard them wailing.

at first i thought they were testing it. (which they sometimes do during the beginning of the week) because i looked out the window next to my computer desk, and it was still amazingly sunny.

so i got up, went into the backyard, and that was when i saw the giant storm cloud coming. before i could do anything tho the wind just hit us hard. my house is next to a sunocos. and one of there plastic garbage cans went flying by my head. i actually had to sorta duck to avoid it (its now stuck ontop  of the vacant house next door's roof) and to make things worse, sunoco kept there garbage cans up, so half there trash is now blown into the tree in my backyard.

over at sunoco tho, some people were yelling "twister!" and running inside as it started to hail. now like i said, my house is pretty much nothing but plywood, and has 0% weather protection, so i freaked out a little.

i ran inside, grabbed my hoodie, and sprinted it to a friends a few houses down who had a basement.

in the end, we didn't have a tornado, but it sure looked like it. the wind was so strong it ripped the side panels off a couple houses, there was downed trees every wheres (including on my road) and one house even had a hole in its roof.

there was no predicting that storm was coming from simply looking up at the sky.mother nature can change very quickly.

but i dont think i made my idea clear enough. i was thinking of something similer to a smoke alarm, that would sound to warn the inhabitants. that would be set off when sent to do so similier to how home security units do with there devices.

or maybe even make this an option package with home security? pay a little $$$ extra and the home security unit will install a sort of "home weather system" in your house with a mini speaker in each room. and if there is a major storm and/or tornado watch in your area, it will sound off when they send it the signal. maybe even give it customizable options. like weather you want it to sound for only tornado watches/warnings, for severe weather, or any other type of weather.

its not a perfect plan, but its just my theory. no need to tear it apart with your obnoxious "get educated" "fend for yourself" "learn to predict the weather"  :uhoh

p.s sorry for the spelling mistakes, my keyboards keys dont always respond when pushed. and i didn't think we had as bad of grammar freaks on here.

Tyrannis -

I think you've put forward some decent ideas. The trick is to figure out how can you make money off of them. You need to market these ideas. Do some thinking about how you could interface that weather radio system with a home alarm system, then patent the general idea, and approach the companies about it.

You'll feel good about helping people, and the folks on this board will idolize you for making money!

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2011, 06:07:08 AM »
Sorry but no.  I won't idolize anyone for helping with increasing the nanny state.  If I don't something completely stupid that I know I shouldn't do I deserve whatever happens to me.  If everyone took that outlook there would be no need for something like Preparation H to have a warning to not take it orally.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »
You're correct!  You getting old and not being able to hear the siren *IS* your fault and not mine.  Granted I don't think that you deserve to die, but you have to give people more credit.  People suffering from hearing loss already know they they are suffering from hearing loss and will (hopefully) already be taking the necessary actions as a result.  If not, then I have a real hard time feeling sorry for them.

Having an alarm like a smoke detector is not the problem.. the problem is with being FORCED to have an alarm like a smoke detector.

We're not saying the guy is stupid... we're just saying that he's not proposing anything that doesn't already exist.  The only difference is that what he proposes would be required, whereas what already exists is optional.  Since monthly (and sometimes bi-weekly) tests are already run on the alarms, then those of us in tornado-prone areas should already know how close the the siren we are and how well we can hear it.  If we don't, then it IS OUR FAULT for not taking the necessary precautions to compensate for a siren that is barely audible.

Also the sirens are hardly reliable.  Yes they will warn us if a tornado warning is present in our general area, but it tells us nothing of any tornadoes that are actually on the ground.  Because of this, only a small fraction of people will take shelter in a basement or closet just because the sirens go off.  No they will instead turn on the TV or weather Radio to determine the extent of danger and then take shelter if necessary.  Personally, I almost always have the TV on long before I hear the the sirens.

Here's the way I see it... my house was built in the early 70's.  My last house was built in the 30's.  I know other houses in the area well over 100 years old.  It's hard to imagine that these houses have survived ALL THOSE YEARS without getting destroyed by a tornado!  WOW!  How rare is that?  Seriously even in the worst area of the country chances of actually getting hit by a tornado is very small.  I feel the systems already in place are better than 'adequate' as a public service.  The OP was complaining that a lot of people died as a result of the siren system being ineffective but my opinion is the exact opposite.  I feel the systems already in place SAVED MANY, MANY LIVES!

That's the beauty of things over here.  If you want to live your life being paranoid about being killed by a tornado then by all means go invest in a bunch of alarms and various weather equipment so that you can go hide in your cave every time you see a raindrop... but don't put that responsibility into the tax payers' hands.

Yes I'm exaggerating a bit here, but it gets my point across.

Nop, I am not saying required.  But it seems to be the best option since all the obvious stuff does not work if you are asleep or forgot to turn it on.  As I said, someone will make millions implementing that idea.  I never said forced on anyone.  Just because some is provided already does not make it the best solution now does it?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
I never said I was entitled to anything

did i mention YOUR name?  guess that broad statement hit home huh?
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
did i mention YOUR name?  guess that broad statement hit home huh?
You pointed it at me indirectly