Author Topic: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?  (Read 3300 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 09:27:29 AM »
Bad attitudes and behavior from SDL member squads.  Not all of the squads, but enough to put a damper on the whole experience.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »

Just last night one of our numbers was going to drive his plane through a hanger to thwart off vulchers and get airborn....... after a short time he said over squad channel that next time he will chose a hanger that has both a front door and BACK DOOR.

LMFAO    :rofl

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 09:51:32 AM »
Bad attitudes and behavior from SDL member squads.  Not all of the squads, but enough to put a damper on the whole experience.

It seems to me that getting the individual matches set up and the order in which people fight eachother could create friction so it should be dttermined externally at the start of the season by rnadom lot and not left to the individual CO's to orgaises between them. Inevitably CO's and squads and I am not talking about you will tend to game this aspect especially if they susspect others of doing the same. A trully random draw for the season with one fight per squad per month would keep the event moving and stop people getting hung up over one particular match with another just around the corne.r

Do you think there should be a general code of conduct also Waystin?

It seems to me posturing and chest thumpin here of the "we owned you variety" should be outlawed and individuals who start any of that should be susspended for a few matches.

DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
I think threatening to lay the smack down on people is counter productive Yarbles...

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
multiple reasons why the Ak's don't participate.

1] Chest thumpers
2] tuff to get enough on at sametime.  Mainly FSO is when most of us our on
3] Most of us want to have fun, not prove anything
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
It seems to me that getting the individual matches set up and the order in which people fight eachother could create friction so it should be dttermined externally at the start of the season by rnadom lot and not left to the individual CO's to orgaises between them. Inevitably CO's and squads and I am not talking about you will tend to game this aspect especially if they susspect others of doing the same. A trully random draw for the season with one fight per squad per month would keep the event moving and stop people getting hung up over one particular match with another just around the corne.r

Do you think there should be a general code of conduct also Waystin?

It seems to me posturing and chest thumpin here of the "we owned you variety" should be outlawed and individuals who start any of that should be susspended for a few matches.

Hello Yarbles,

Yes a code of conduct concerning the SDL is exactly what is needed.  Mind you the problem is not smack-talk or chest-thumping.  In a good natured manner this should be encouraged as it builds the level of competitiveness. 

The largest over-ruling problem with behavior is debating duel results to insane lengths, which we all know spirals into non-productive spats between squads.  A lot of egos cannot accept losses.  Heck some of them can't even handle losing a round, even if they one the whole match.  Why not congratulate the victor, and plan for your next encounter with what you learned and move on?  If one enjoys this type of interaction, then you can get it in the MA's without the pains of scheduling and arranging a duel.

Second problem that I see, is that SDL decisions need to be made by a more representative group of the member squads.  Call it a Board of Directors or whatever, but there needs to be an appearance of objectivity when rule and ruling decisons are made.  That is not the case at this point.

Hope that helps to answer your questions.

:salute

Way

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
Hello Yarbles,

Yes a code of conduct concerning the SDL is exactly what is needed.  Mind you the problem is not smack-talk or chest-thumping.  In a good natured manner this should be encouraged as it builds the level of competitiveness. 

The largest over-ruling problem with behavior is debating duel results to insane lengths, which we all know spirals into non-productive spats between squads.  A lot of egos cannot accept losses.  Heck some of them can't even handle losing a round, even if they one the whole match.  Why not congratulate the victor, and plan for your next encounter with what you learned and move on?  If one enjoys this type of interaction, then you can get it in the MA's without the pains of scheduling and arranging a duel.

Second problem that I see, is that SDL decisions need to be made by a more representative group of the member squads.  Call it a Board of Directors or whatever, but there needs to be an appearance of objectivity when rule and ruling decisons are made.  That is not the case at this point.

Way

Nice explanatory post my porky friend!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
Hello Yarbles,

Way

As one of the instigators in the whole jokers, KN thread in the SDL o'club I find that coming from you hilarious.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 10:45:54 AM »
multiple reasons why the Ak's don't participate.

1] Chest thumpers
2] tuff to get enough on at sametime.  Mainly FSO is when most of us our on
3] Most of us want to have fun, not prove anything

out of 80+ squad matches only 3 have resulted in any comments afterwards.  Mainly attributed to differences of opinion over the perceptions of the rules.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
As one of the instigators in the whole jokers, KN thread in the SDL o'club I find that coming from you hilarious.

Kilo2 I never instigated any of these silly crap slinging matches nor encouraged them.  Get your facts straight before tossing accusations. Go back and check the posts my friend.  I offered a congratulation to the winners.  I wondered why noone from the KN had the proper etiquette to do the same.  Finally I applauded Perdweebs response that he has nothing nice to say, so he is staying quiet.  Instigating?   :rolleyes:

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
Kilo2 I never instigated any of these silly crap slinging matches nor encouraged them.  Get your facts straight before tossing accusations. Go back and check the posts my friend.  I offered a congratulation to the winners.  I wondered why noone from the KN had the proper etiquette to do the same.  Finally I applauded Perdweebs response that he has nothing nice to say, so he is staying quiet.  Instigating?   :rolleyes:

You were involved if you want to pretend your hands are clean go ahead. Couldnt leave well enough alone.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »
You were involved if you want to pretend your hands are clean go ahead. Couldnt leave well enough alone.

It is there for all to check and see and the community can read and understand my intentions.  You are only confirming what I previously posted.  Your ego cannot handle a loss that happened months ago to the Joker's.  Bad attitudes and bad behavior...

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »
in regards to a CoC it is in the original rules write up.

It does say all AAR's should be posted in private,  this was so that the contacts from each squad could talk about their difference in opinion without every squaddie getting their back up.

We can discuss some rule changes for season 3.  The only way I can see to go forward is to not record wins and losses and get squads fighting again without the un-necessary afters.  As with all things though people get hung up on the negatives when in-fact it is a great experience when both sides go at it.  
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
Is it really any wonder why participation is sparse when even this thread is degenerating into chest thumping, finger pointing, namecalling.................. .................
Wag more, bark less.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
It is there for all to check and see and the community can read and understand my intentions.  You are only confirming what I previously posted.  Your ego cannot handle a loss that happened months ago to the Joker's.  Bad attitudes and bad behavior...

The loss doesnt matter to me. wooo jokers won. The people playing instigator and then act shocked that the conversation went down hill is what I couldn't and still cant handle. The ultimate act of hypocrisy coming and complaining that things like that happened.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com