Author Topic: Ta 152  (Read 27104 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: Ta 152
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2011, 12:18:12 AM »
it has extremely unstable flight characteristics and possibley something miss modeled with it's CoG and fuel/weight distributions that are also in place hand-in-hand with extremely over-stable characteristics (damned if I can explain almost half the stalls I get into in a 152, but damned if I don't get out of them almost every single time, tail-heavy or not, also.).

Ok, you're regressing here.  Just because it goes into a stall/spin easily does not mean its unstable.  Stability is a separate issue.  The yaw stability issues Krusty was talking about earlier are not part of the stall/spin issue.  For example, the Ta-152 is extremely roll-stable.  There's no such aerodynamic terms as "over-stable".  It would be more proper to say excess stability perhaps.  And the "something miss-modeled with its CoG" is again an illogical statement.  Consider what I posted that you quoted, especially on that last part.  Overall, I don't think you have full command of the aerodynamic concepts you are purporting the in-game Ta-152 exhibits.  What Tango is trying to say is that perhaps you need to read up more on the aerodynamic stuff we've mentioned here before continuing to argue these points.

Thank you Stoney!  So then, as I had assumed, an aircraft's CoG stays about constant, given no weight distribution or fuel distribution changes (you mention it shifting) during flight?  And when the CoG is too far aft, "the aircraft should experience worsened stall recoverys", is that in reference to the lack of pitch authority (I agree, pitch authority is useless until you get it pointed in the right direction with some air traveling around it) or that there is more to it working against us recovering than a lack of pitch authority and the heavy tail leading the way for us to the ground (overall I disagree that the stalls are hard to recover from, and perhaps that is realted, but they are repeatabley easy to recover from, although not as easy as other stalls in other AC)?

Two questions here:

1.  Is an aircraft's CG constant, given no weight changes during flight?  Generally speaking, yes.  To see how much the CG can change in flight, you focus on the consumables.  Oxygen tanks, fuel, the ADI mix (water, etc.), ammo, ordnance--all of these things are consumed during flight or the mission, so that's where your changes to the CG can come from.  The closer these things are, positioned on the airplane, to the CG, the less effect they have on the CG as they are consumed.  A P-47 is a very good example of how to arrange things to reduce the fore/aft shift of the CG in flight.  Its fuel, water tank, oil tank, and ammo are all positioned very close to the CG of the plane, so that during the course of a mission, the fore/aft CG is very stable throughout.

2.  Is it "tail heavy" or "lack of pitch authority" that makes an aft CG dangerous?  Lack of pitch authority.  Consider that every part of the empenage (tail section) of the plane contributes to the stability of the aircraft.  Look at a picture of a C-17 and look at how enormous, relative to the wings and fuselage, the vertical and horizontal stabs are.  The reason why is to allow the aircraft to have a wide spectrum of operating weights, and more importantly, loadings.  The empenage control surfaces have to be capable of enough pitch and yaw force when the plane is very light, and when the plane is very heavy.  So, the tail could theoretically be as heavy as you could possibly want, if the H and V Stabs have enough authority, everything is ok, and you would have a very broad CG envelope.  Really, if the CG on the Ta-152 was simply too far aft, the aircraft would exhibit pitching problems in just about all regimes of flight.  In Krusty's video, we really only see the problem once the aircraft has departed, from high alpha, lower speed maneuvering.  Which leads me to believe that the issue there is really one of the tail being stalled, and not from a CG problem.  Tango has posted a few times about this occurring in other previous threads about other aircraft.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2011, 12:49:33 AM »
Baba,

For all dogfighting intents and purposes in AH, the 152's agility inarguably is directly proportional to forward fuel CG.
That's in-game concerns in a nutshell.  On real life aerodynamics I concede to Tango, Stoney, Mtnman & co.

The film bit was just to hammer it in... Anecdote can't sub for film...  The more anecdote's piled on, the more pressing the need for film to corroborate.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #197 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »
The 152 doesn't (or is extremely hard to) stall irrecoverably from power-on departures.
Jeez.....  That's supposed to say power-off.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2011, 09:14:53 AM »
Okay, so Moot comes in and says I'm fulla BS and there's nothing wrong. No surprise there...   :rolleyes:

Dtango... you're saying "I've seen no evidence" then you say "I can't be bothered to look at the examples shown. Am I the only one seeing the problem with that? You can't dismiss the matter if you're not going to take a look. You can add to other comments but you can't say "there's nothing wrong -- but I can't verify this by checking on it either" as it's not an honest reply.

Moot: You may think you are the only one that ever knows anything about flying the 152 in this game, and it's a sentiment you've shown before on the forums as well in past 152 discussions, but you are not. I have never professed to be an expert, but I know what I see when I see it, and I see abnormal flight behavior of ta152H-1s in this game quite often. It has been this way since AH2 when the flight model starts showing serious problems for this plane. It's NOT just an issue of stepping on the ball. What happens when you don't step on the ball? You spin. This is not spinning. This is total lack of H-stab influence on forward flight and loss of any elevator authority up to and past 130mph (well above stall speeds). In the other squirrely planes in this game if you don't step on the ball you spin into a wing during a turn. That doesn't happen with the 152. It stays relatively straight but the tail swings around underneath you and points forward. That tail forward attitude then leads to other problems (crashing/spinning/etc). NOT an issue with just the pilot being sloppy. The more I think about it, the more it reminds me of floating to the ground after having my tail feathers shot off in other rides. I'm willing to go on the explanation that the nose wandering is based off the aspect ratio and I accept that some planes you just have to be very careful of in very tight turns, but again this was not a stall turn nor a slow speed high AoA or anything like that. It's a different matter.

Babs/Stoney: This happens even on the lightest fuel load of the ta152. There should be no CoG problems at all in this configuration, and in fact it should be quite an improvement, but it does not preclude the flight behaviors as mentioned. Historically the CoG problems were resolved by filling the GM1 tank immediately behind the cockpit only 2/3 the way with GM1 liquid. That was reported to be the fix to any CoG issues. Here we can reduce the weight by several times that amount and still suffer. I like longer sorties so I fly with more fuel sometimes. During the flight you can feel the responsiveness improving. It's like a P-47. When heavy you don't want to push too hard, but when light you can do a lot more without departing in some way. So even under the best ideal load it still behaves like this.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
Dtango... you're saying "I've seen no evidence" then you say "I can't be bothered to look at the examples shown. Am I the only one seeing the problem with that? You can't dismiss the matter if you're not going to take a look. You can add to other comments but you can't say "there's nothing wrong -- but I can't verify this by checking on it either" as it's not an honest reply.
Krusty: here's how I understand your argument as it has developed through this thread:

A) the ta-152 tail skids + other handling issues as can be seen in my film
B) therefore, something is wrong.

Leaving the "other handling issues" aside, what's missing is explaining where the ta-152 skid = something wrong.  Providing film only gives us evidence that a tail skid exists.  There's no evidence you've provided yet that explains why the tail skid = something wrong.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:28:54 AM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
Look, I should say that you've at least provided some film as to the handling issues you're concerned with which is better than what most others claiming a problem have done in this thread.
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
When heavy you don't want to push too hard, but when light you can do a lot more without departing in some way. So even under the best ideal load it still behaves like this.

If the tail stalls, the aircraft would exhibit pretty much the same behavior as being too tail heavy.  Except if the aircraft was too tail heavy, you would have some strange behavior during regular flight and not just when it departs.  This is why its illogical for you to say off-hand that its a CG issue without some other sort of analysis.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »
Just posting this to say I'm still here, and am working on a draft of my next reply, it's been a busy weekend and start to my week at work in the real world, thank you in advance for being understanding, and not least - thank you all for your continueing contributions to this thread! 

I just wanted to make sure I take the time to address completely all the wonderfuly in-depth and inciteful responces without being insulting to the large amount of effort and thought they've put into them since my last responce.... I just hope it's closer to today than tomorrow or even the day after, as I've already put it off for a couple days now.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
 I've been reading this debate with some interest so I decided to take the 152 for a few flights.

One thing I noticed is that with combat trim on whenever the 152 goes into a tailslide/stall the CT gives full up elevator trim. This causes a lack of negative elevator,or down elevator,which makes getting the nose down to build airspeed rather difficult. With CT on the 152 tends to have quite abit of up elevator trim and this makes negative G manuvers rather difficult.

I turned off CT and trimmed it out to neutral around 250/275 IAS and found the plane behaved totally different,it was easy to get the nose down,I never had the tail slide out on the tightest turns I could make.With CT on it was rather easy to have the tail slide out on you in a turn. So I wont debate about the CoG and any issues with it but I think the biggest issue is how CT works and effects this A/C.

I'm open to hearing others thoughts and ideas on if it's possible the issue is with CT and not CoG.

:salute

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »
I've been reading this debate with some interest so I decided to take the 152 for a few flights.

One thing I noticed is that with combat trim on whenever the 152 goes into a tailslide/stall the CT gives full up elevator trim. This causes a lack of negative elevator,or down elevator,which makes getting the nose down to build airspeed rather difficult. With CT on the 152 tends to have quite abit of up elevator trim and this makes negative G manuvers rather difficult.

I turned off CT and trimmed it out to neutral around 250/275 IAS and found the plane behaved totally different,it was easy to get the nose down,I never had the tail slide out on the tightest turns I could make.With CT on it was rather easy to have the tail slide out on you in a turn. So I wont debate about the CoG and any issues with it but I think the biggest issue is how CT works and effects this A/C.

I'm open to hearing others thoughts and ideas on if it's possible the issue is with CT and not CoG.

Combat trim, and HTC can correct me if I'm wrong, basically introduces the amount of pitch trim necessary to maintain your indicated speed.  That means, as you slow down, even in a vertical attitude, you're getting a lot of nose-up trim, even if you don't need it for attitude control, merely because your speed is slowing so much.  This is also why it encourages you to lawn dart in extended, very high-speed dives.  I find that, regardless of aircraft, if you're doing a lot of high-alpha, low-speed maneuvering, combat trim is extremely destabilizing.  Mostly, the only two aircraft I use combat trim on are the 109 series and the Spit series, and then its usually only after major changes in the configuration of the aircraft.  I don't have enough time in the 152 to have an opinion on that aircraft, but my default would be to have CT off until convinced the airplane maneuvered better for me with it on.

HiTech

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2011, 11:07:22 PM »

I agree with morfiend, I recommend flying without combat trim, its usually more of a hindrance at slow speeds than a help, esp when flaps are deployed. I suggest get used to watching the ball and trying to keep your moves smooth and coordinated without CT.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2011, 07:20:56 AM »
You may think you are the only one that ever knows anything about flying the 152 in this game
More petulant BS from Krusty's imagination.  You say something wrong.  What else do you expect from someone who knows better, regardless who or what he/she is, but to call it as he/she sees it?  You're basically spinning anything said by anyone who's got more experience than you and happens to disagree with you as bragging. Get real. 

Next, unless you do actual aerodynamic analysis... Your assertion that the 152 FM is wrong, is unfounded.  Satisfying DTango & co's criteria for positive ID of an FM flaw is the only way you'll start to have credence.
Next, all your complaining about it is pretty moot gameplay-wise since you can keep the plane in check EASILY by keeping it pointing straight IE stepping on the ball.  On top of that, the departures themselves are easy to feel coming.  The rudder is always enough to keep the plane in check.
Next, if you're going to argue the FM, post film.  Otherwise it's just anecdote.

with combat trim on whenever the 152 goes into a tailslide/stall the CT gives full up elevator trim.

I turned off CT and trimmed it out to neutral around 250/275 IAS and found the plane behaved totally different,it was easy to get the nose down
Yep.  Was a reason why I tried a few times to push in wishlist for customizable CT. 

I don't have enough time in the 152 to have an opinion on that aircraft, but my default would be to have CT off until convinced the airplane maneuvered better for me with it on.
Possibly the main obstacle to most players keeping CT off in the 152 is how much rudder trimming's required.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:24:22 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
lets take a look at the 152's aerodynamics at sea level.
Lift:

L = 1.45*23.3*.5*1.164*600^2 = 7078633.2

Drag:

Cdi = (1.45^2)/(pi*8.94*.80) = 0.0935747393
Cd0 = -Unknown-

D = 0.0935747393*23.3*.5*1.164*600^2 = 456 814.66

L/D ratio = 15.49

and compare to the F4U-4 at sea level:
Lift

L = 1.4*29.17*.5*1.164*600^2 = 8556377.76

Drag:

Cdi = (1.4^2)/(pi*5.35*0.77) = 0.151447355
Cd0 = -Unknown-

D = 0.151447355*29.17*.5*1.164*600^2 = 925600.557

L/D ratio: 9.24

That's an extra 59%  ( :O ) lift for every unit of drag for the 152!    Does this mean the Ta has (or should have) a smaller turn radius at sea level than the F4U-4?
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #208 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
That's an extra 59%  ( :O ) lift for every unit of drag for the 152!    Does this mean the Ta has (or should have) a smaller turn radius at sea level than the F4U-4?

No, it means that the L/D you computed for the Ta-152 is higher than the L/D you computed for the F4U-4.  As a standalone metric, it means nothing, especially considering how your comparison is terribly flawed.

HiTech

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: July 14, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »

.....stuff....

That's an extra 59%  ( :O ) lift for every unit of drag for the 152!    Does this mean the Ta has (or should have) a smaller turn radius at sea level than the F4U-4?

Yes, the Ta-152 has a 59% better L/D ratio when the Ta-152 is turning at 138 g's and the F4U-4 at 154 g's  :aok (and that's being generous with aircraft weight).  

But let's assume you really meant sea level & an airspeed of 600 kph (372 mph) and not 2160 kph (1341 mph), and that looking at l/d ratios only is even remotely a valid way for estimating sustained turn performance.  

It sure would be awesome to watch the Ta-152 and F4U-4 sustain turns indefinitely at 11.2 and 12.6 g's respectively!  HTC better fix their FM ASAP closer to this "reality"!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:57:30 PM by dtango »