Author Topic: no icon for me,none for you  (Read 4846 times)

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
no icon for me,none for you
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:18 PM »
i just got to thinking on this subject.

I think it would be a great deal more realistic you could say if we had the ability to turn your own icon off.i mean,you can turn enemy icons off but no one else does it so you're just at a disadvantage.
it kind of goes along with tracers...you can turn your tracers off and you nor anyone else can see them.why cant we turn off our icon if we cant see anyone else's icon.

IMO theres no point in having skins other then to look "cool"

if you like flying on the deck you might select a more green or dark skin to somewhat blend in with the ground.but when you have a big P47 1.5k right under you it doesnt really help.especialy when you are trying to sneak under someone and they see half an inch of red markings under you.
it would also help with C47s trying to NOE into a town or land.

we need to impliment this or at least change the icon range to 2k or 1.5k.
just my opinion though,voice yours

EDIT:you would still see friendly icons,but not at 6k.vis range on friendlies would be at maybe 4k.but there would still be a green marker on your clipboard map

EDIT2:keep in mind if you keep your icon you will still see other players with their icons on as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:18:46 PM by LThunderpocket »
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
Re: no icon for me,none for you
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
You would still be able to see friendly icons, correct? Otherwise you would have no way to distinguish friend or foe.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
You would still be able to see friendly icons, correct? Otherwise you would have no way to distinguish friend or foe.

yes you would still see friendly icons,but not at 6k.vis range on friendlies would be at maybe 4k.but there would still be a green marker on your clipboard map.im going to edit that in
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
-1.   in real life you have the whole world at your visual disposal, in AH all you have the screen in front of you.   everything is considerably downsized compared to reality.   would be a giant pain in the keester IMO
-AoM-

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
-1.   in real life you have the whole world at your visual disposal, in AH all you have the screen in front of you.   everything is considerably downsized compared to reality.   would be a giant pain in the keester IMO

yes im aware of that.but seeing someone at 6.0k out and knowing what they're in is one thing,but when you are in an intense dogfight and you lose the guy u can just hit your views and see big red writing that sais "HERE I AM!"IMO if you lose sight of your enemy during a fight it should be harder to find him.it would only be a pain in the keester if you like it easy
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:54:37 PM »
I can see this being abused so easily. You get into a dogfight and either lose your advantage or suffer damage, cut off your icons, then dive to the deck and try to run away and blend in. 
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline tf15pin

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
Changing icons could add some challenge and new aspects to the game but there would be a mass exodus of subscribers. If there is one thing this community hates it is changes to the game mechanics.

SA is also one of the aspects of the game that players have to develop to become successful. Even with icons this is difficult and takes weeks or months of playing before it even begins to develope. So a game with an already steep learning curve would become even more difficult for new players to get into.

So the icons are like training wheels; some people will refuse to ride without them and not many new people will be able to get started without them being available.

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »
I can see this being abused so easily. You get into a dogfight and either lose your advantage or suffer damage, cut off your icons, then dive to the deck and try to run away and blend in. 

no because you cant change you incon on and off during flight,just like with tracers
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:20:22 PM »
Changing icons could add some challenge and new aspects to the game but there would be a mass exodus of subscribers. If there is one thing this community hates it is changes to the game mechanics.

SA is also one of the aspects of the game that players have to develop to become successful. Even with icons this is difficult and takes weeks or months of playing before it even begins to develope. So a game with an already steep learning curve would become even more difficult for new players to get into.

So the icons are like training wheels; some people will refuse to ride without them and not many new people will be able to get started without them being available.

i see it as the more advanced pilots in the game would fly with their icon off.dont forget,if you decide you want a fat icon under you,you can still see other players who have their training wheels on as well
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »
Heya LThunderpocket,

you can go check it out for yourself and see what you think about your enemy not being able to see your icon

the AvsA arena is set up this way all the time...........

if noone is in there, just hang around a few minutes and people will show up.... but best times to go there is 7 PM EDT  to 11 PM EDT through out the week

there is no enemy icons and friendly icons are set to under 3K if I remember correctly.....

give it a try....... it is harder than you think...... but it also is fun  :aok

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »
Heya LThunderpocket,

you can go check it out for yourself and see what you think about your enemy not being able to see your icon

the AvsA arena is set up this way all the time...........

if noone is in there, just hang around a few minutes and people will show up.... but best times to go there is 7 PM EDT  to 11 PM EDT through out the week

there is no enemy icons and friendly icons are set to under 3K if I remember correctly.....

give it a try....... it is harder than you think...... but it also is fun  :aok

hope this helps

TC

whenever i see 1 person in there im in.and no its not harder then i think.its how all arenas should be with the exeption of the TA.thats one of the main reasons i like AvA,no icons and better plane matchups along with an objective other then taking bases
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 01:03:18 AM »
Thunderpocket, your failing is that you assume it's hard to see a plane and keep it in visual sight. In fact it's probably a million times easier in real life than in here. With our limited view angles (8 directions plus up and down) you have to constantly jockey around instead of just following it instantly and carelessly with your eyeballs. Not only that, but in real life things have much higher contrast and brightness, and you would easily be able to see a con even if it was against the ground and wearing camouflage.

It's because you're close to it and it's moving. Your eyes see moving things a LOT better than stationary ones. Camo might work at long range (that's what it was intended for) but up close you could still see it and track it easily.

That said, the same constraints exist with or without icons. If you have a con go below your nose, under your tail, drop below your wing, etc, you lose sight of it. Same as in real life. However when it's on your screen this game (and most games) has a poor quality compared to the real world.

Don't believe the IL2 minority crowd that proclaims "no icons" as realistic. And don't claim that only "experts" would use it. It's an arbitrary handicap for the sake of making things harder (NOT making them more realistic).

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »

It's because you're close to it and it's moving. Your eyes see moving things a LOT better than stationary ones. Camo might work at long range (that's what it was intended for) but up close you could still see it and track it easily.

That said, the same constraints exist with or without icons. If you have a con go below your nose, under your tail, drop below your wing, etc, you lose sight of it. Same as in real life. However when it's on your screen this game (and most games) has a poor quality compared to the real world.

Don't believe the IL2 minority crowd that proclaims "no icons" as realistic. And don't claim that only "experts" would use it. It's an arbitrary handicap for the sake of making things harder (NOT making them more realistic).

so with the last paragraph are you stating that the icons make it harder?now,with the IL2 thing.ive never played the game and have no knowledge of how it works.i claim that "experts" would use it because they would probably(seems to me)be able to spot a plane while changing views.Then again though,anyone who does not want their icon seen can turn it off witch comes with the advantage that no one else can see yours.

I realize it IS a computer game and the whole graphics situation.but even if you can easily spot a plane,you still wont know what plane and the distance.plus the big red picket sign with an arrow pointing to your airplane is gone,witch would add to being harder to spot.

As you stated the camo might work at long range,thats because further then 6k you dont even see the airplane,you might see a square or a dot.but the camo wouldnt even matter then because hes all that further away.anything within 6k you mine as well have white paint and flying with a black background
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 02:19:47 AM »
I often cannot tell if the plane is comming towards me or going away... with icons.

AvA----> No icons.  Try it. Cammo does work.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:26:24 AM »
to think ICONS do not make it easier to track an nme plane, is absurd...I understand all the aspects about the monitor not being able to replicate what your eyes can, does not change the fact that NO nme ever had a giant neon sign over their head, which makes it 100% easier to track an nme, in a game about fighting, if there were no icons the fights would be far less and mostly sneaks,.......like it was in the real war...good thing this is just a game and we got those icons to help us spot the bad guys :aok