Author Topic: no icon for me,none for you  (Read 5201 times)

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: no icon for me,none for you
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »

Sit down in your computer chair. Take your joystick in hand. Now look backwards over your left and right shoulders. Try to do so at least every 5 seconds. Tell me how easy that is. Now scan the ENTIRE sphere of directional space surrounding you, trying to hit every spot at least every 5 seconds. Keep this up for awhile. In abit you will understand why an attacking airplane might not be spotted.

sounds alot like WW2
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »
sounds alot like WW2

And it has nothing to do with how visible an airplane you have your eyes on should, and everything to do with how putting your eyes on every piece of sky an airplane can conceivably in in r/l can be a true "pain in the neck"!
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »

In reality you can spot aircraft so much easier than on a computer screen.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 06:31:22 AM »
Bingo...

Until true VR 3D headsets become the baseline for all of Hitech's customers, icons will exist. That is, unless you fly in the AvA;

(Image removed from quote.)

To that one AvA staff member that decided to send me a rude PM, I have no problem getting kills in a no icon atmosphere. The last FSO I flew with no icons I had plenty of scalps, I just don't like it. It favors the faster of the two aircraft, further favors the guy with the better computer, and lessens the amount of turn fighting that takes place.

edit: if an alternate option was available instead of full or no icons, I'd be all for it. For example, a small red dot (that grew in size as the distance lessened) under the aircraft, rather than text. Something you could miss if you were carelessly looking around, particularly at great distances, but something you could still pick up much more easily at closer range. Also, if the dot was below the aircraft it wouldn't appear if you were low enough to be helped by the ground clutter.
there hasn't been a no enemy icon fso delirium...there was only one off night event that ended with 80 non arcade players enjoying themselves...every other fso has been short range icons with the lowest at 800 yards, and that one caused a lot of whining from the verbal arcade crowd. i won't even get into your assertion that icons exist due to a depth perception limitations.

in spite of you regurgitating the same tired old b.s. i like the possibility of your alternative to the neon icons out at 6000 yards...but i have to wonder, considering the rendering and visual limitations in ah, and computer hardware variables just how viable would it be for main arena use. there are a lot of people who seem to think positive identification of a 50 foot airplane 3+ miles in the distance is realistic, mostly because some other player without any real experience says so...however, if say htc did implement something like your idea, at some point that red dot has to turn into a plane type identifier to simulate a trained pilot's ability to positively identify a plane...and i'm not talking about twin or quad engine aircraft...this is just fighters...the bigger planes would require slightly different settings. just thinking out loud, what if the icon in use now were to change size with distance? say at 6000 yards it's a small mark on your screen, just slightly bigger than the airplane dot and by the time it gets to possibly 17-1800 yards it's a full size neon sign. not that we know whether or not it's actually possible to program, but if it were and htc would implement it, would the masses accept it?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
Gyrene, you're the one spouting BS and loaded terminology, explicitly insulting everyone that doesn't agree with you as "arcade" players and that you are an "non arcade" player when the exact opposite is true. By doing this you imply we are all inferior in skill and abilities, which is a false claim, and merely egotistic chest thumping.

The BS is you say "Fly with no icons because you suck if you don't!" and despite facts, proof, debate on physics of light, optics, combat pilot reports, you cling to a delusion that you are better than all of them by flying with "no icon" settings.

It gets very old. You've been proven wrong so many times, please stop with the insults any time the topic comes up. Overcoming an arbitrary handicap is not "realistic" nor is it "harder" -- just a different skillset that is useless except to those who cannot compete in the normal "settings"...

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
Gyrene, you're the one spouting BS and loaded terminology, explicitly insulting everyone that doesn't agree with you as "arcade" players and that you are an "non arcade" player when the exact opposite is true. By doing this you imply we are all inferior in skill and abilities, which is a false claim, and merely egotistic chest thumping.

The BS is you say "Fly with no icons because you suck if you don't!" and despite facts, proof, debate on physics of light, optics, combat pilot reports, you cling to a delusion that you are better than all of them by flying with "no icon" settings.

It gets very old. You've been proven wrong so many times, please stop with the insults any time the topic comes up. Overcoming an arbitrary handicap is not "realistic" nor is it "harder" -- just a different skillset that is useless except to those who cannot compete in the normal "settings"...
whatever krusty...didn't say anything like that but it's your dream so hang on to it. if you're one of those "i refuse to consider anything but a big neon sign at unrealistic distances" then ya, the term "arcade" is fitting...don't be mad, that's just what you're used to.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:17:44 AM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »
And HiTech says you are wrong about the icons.  It is his game, you lose.

Also, nobody claimed to know the specific make at that range.

I never said a word about icons. I was referring to the ridiculous assertions regarding real world visual acuity. There is math to back it up.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
i just got to thinking on this subject.

I think it would be a great deal more realistic you could say if we had the ability to turn your own icon off.i mean,you can turn enemy icons off but no one else does it so you're just at a disadvantage.
it kind of goes along with tracers...you can turn your tracers off and you nor anyone else can see them.why cant we turn off our icon if we cant see anyone else's icon.

IMO theres no point in having skins other then to look "cool"

if you like flying on the deck you might select a more green or dark skin to somewhat blend in with the ground.but when you have a big P47 1.5k right under you it doesnt really help.especialy when you are trying to sneak under someone and they see half an inch of red markings under you.
it would also help with C47s trying to NOE into a town or land.

we need to impliment this or at least change the icon range to 2k or 1.5k.
just my opinion though,voice yours

EDIT:you would still see friendly icons,but not at 6k.vis range on friendlies would be at maybe 4k.but there would still be a green marker on your clipboard map

EDIT2:keep in mind if you keep your icon you will still see other players with their icons on as well.

That's where the problem started.

You should have quit while you were ahead...

AVA does not have icons.   It is a blast, but the gen. pop. would not go for it.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »
see what you started lthunderpocket  :rofl.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
see what you started lthunderpocket  :rofl.

semp

yup.but its not me arguing.people forget its the wishlist and can just put a -1 or a +1 if they like or dislike.but everyone on here likes to contradict and argue with eachother.so technically i didnt start it.i just had an idea.
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
yup.but its not me arguing.people forget its the wishlist and can just put a -1 or a +1 if they like or dislike.but everyone on here likes to contradict and argue with eachother.so technically i didnt start it.i just had an idea.

you want to see an even better catfight.  go post a thread asking which is better amd or intel   :bolt:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
I can see this being abused so easily. You get into a dogfight and either lose your advantage or suffer damage, cut off your icons, then dive to the deck and try to run away and blend in. 

Thats the first thing I thought of as well - when you shoot someone down now, their icon disappears as the wreckage falls.  If you can just turn your icon off and go into a spin, most would think that someone else just shot you down.

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 11:09:06 PM »
you want to see an even better catfight.  go post a thread asking which is better amd or intel   :bolt:.

semp

ok.finish your story and post it and i will
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »
AvA no icons all the time everytime...
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2011, 06:41:26 PM »
Thats the first thing I thought of as well - when you shoot someone down now, their icon disappears as the wreckage falls.  If you can just turn your icon off and go into a spin, most would think that someone else just shot you down.

did you read the part when i said u cant change your icon on and off mid flight.its the same way no tracers works
-Cpl Fish
-Tupac