Author Topic: I suck!  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
I suck!
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:17:25 PM »
Started playing AH back in '01. Today my k/d & gunnery is probably about the same. Fly time is limited but hey...after 10 years it would be nice to rtb with a few scalps on a regular basis. I have a good grasp of ACM's but never string the right ones together at the right time. Anyone up to the challenge of helping me out? PM or say here.

:salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: I suck!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
anytime you see me on I would happily go DA and get some practice in for ya :aok

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
Max,

Stop by the TA between 8 and 9:30 central time most nights during the week.  If I'm not currently booked (most days I seem to be), I can help you, or we have a lot of good sticks that are helpfull that tend to be around in that time area.  Or if I am booked and you want to ride along while I teach just send me a PM while I'm in there, and if the seat is available you can have it.

BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye peeled for you both.  :aok

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:18 AM »
Started playing AH back in '01. Today my k/d & gunnery is probably about the same. Fly time is limited but hey...after 10 years it would be nice to rtb with a few scalps on a regular basis. I have a good grasp of ACM's but never string the right ones together at the right time. Anyone up to the challenge of helping me out? PM or say here.

Max, feel your pain.  After doing this since 2002, I have a few ideas.  I fly Bish.  If ever you see me on, feel free to say howdy, & we'll wing.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »
I fly Bish as well. Usually fly mornings EDT when time permits. I'll keep an eye out for ya. Thanks

btw Hap I saw your "grill" post in OC. I'm a BBQ/grill boy wonder. If my gunnery was as good as my ribs or brisket I'd have a 12 k/d :P  I'll trade ya tips for recipes  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:33:47 AM by Max »

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »
for starters are you satisfied with your controls? Do you always sees the guy that shoots you?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
I fly Bish as well. Usually fly mornings EDT when time permits. I'll keep an eye out for ya. Thanks

btw Hap I saw your "grill" post in OC. I'm a BBQ/grill boy wonder. If my gunnery was as good as my ribs or brisket I'd have a 12 k/d :P  I'll trade ya tips for recipes  :cheers:

haven't had a grill for years.  i miss it.  Sundays I'm on in the morning frequently.  Other than that evenings for just a bit.  No regular schedule. 

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
Good question. One of my squaddies insists I was trained at the Stevie Wonder School of Situational Awareness :)

I have a CH setup w/ F-stick, throttle, peds. I have 8way hat set to (starting at 12:00) front-up, front right, right, rear right, rear, rear left, left, front left. Pinky key is set to look up modifier. Note - none of my views are up or dwn except for 12:00 and the pinky.

Yes I do lose sight of nme in a fight...too often in fact. If I'm in a furball or 2v1, I may as well be wearing a blindfold.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
So forward on the hatswitch is the only view modified by the up modifier? That'd be a serious problem. Did I read that correctly? You can't look at your high 3 or high 6 etc.?

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
No, all my views can be modified UP by the pinky. My 12:00 hat is FWD+UP.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
your 12:00 position on the hat should be look front, because you can set an over nose view with the arrows and F10, permitting you to see better over the nose of the plane, at the cost of seeing the gunsight. This is not a detail, its very important if you want to shoot anyone lower than you.

My look up modifier is on my throttle as I'm used to use the left hand for look up from the times I didn't have a throttle. My pinky was toggle zoom when I had a fighterstick, but that's not very important

nrshida came up with a crazy method of training your SA, but it looks like working....go to the DA, up at the lake in your plane of choice, and unload the guns on the runway. Roll, go to the center of the lake and try to survive the longest you can without worrying about shooting just yet.

If you are not satisfied with your shooting go offline, and change your ammo multiplier in the arena settings to 10. Then roll and shoot planes for at least 30mins for a few days. The drones may only circle over the base, but you can add difficulty yourself by getting high over the field and simulate a picking situation where you come at high angle/speed.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »
go to the DA, up at the lake in your plane of choice, and unload the guns on the runway. Roll, go to the center of the lake and try to survive the longest you can without worrying about shooting just yet.

great idea!

fwiw, keep in mind the magic airspeed # is 400 by the red needle . . . always good to have enough alt to get there because getting away and then returning is often a very smart thing to do.  and low fights near your own field are great.  low fights near an bad guy field is a fool's errand unless cap is secure.

i've never had great pilot skills, so for me, choosing fights has proved to be 3/4's of the path to happy flying.  might not be so for the skilled.  but for me, it works.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:44:22 AM by Hap »

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
No, all my views can be modified UP by the pinky. My 12:00 hat is FWD+UP.

Ah, my dad plays this game too and he does the same thing. I always told him he should the same thing Noir just suggested, it really helps to keep track of guys trying to move underneath your nose, it also makes lining up for jabo easier.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »
your 12:00 position on the hat should be look front, because you can set an over nose view with the arrows and F10, permitting you to see better over the nose of the plane, at the cost of seeing the gunsight. This is not a detail, its very important if you want to shoot anyone lower than you

Just so we're on the same page allow me to clarify.

The standard view on any aircraft is look front. By pressing my 12:00 hat the look front is now look front up...giving me a 45 o view, halfway between front and up. Just below the red fire button there's a 4 way button. I have that mapped to (12:00) PageUP =raises head position= (3:00) Move head right (6:00) PageDwn=lowers head position (9:00) Move head left.

Thoughts on that^^^

I like the DA Lake and the ammo x ideas