Author Topic: Freakin poison ivy  (Read 3005 times)

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
Re: Freakin poison ivy
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »
This is going to sound gross but you need to make sure that the affected areas have been scrubbed until they are weeping.  If you don't think you can stand straight bleach you can cut it in a 1:1 mix with water. :aok
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 01:49:43 PM »
Poison is easy to id.  If you notice later (6 hours) you have been in a patch, just take a good shower with soap.  If you're ate up with the rash, see a doctor and get rid of it with a simple shot.

Rash
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
It sounds a bit crazy but plain old lye soap works great to remove the oil from you and your clothes. It also helps dry out the reaction your skin has to it.

THis is the best method ive found to get rid of it. :aok We get it from a small amish store near us, but i found it on line

http://www.grannyslyesoap.com/
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 04:08:11 PM »
I'm immune.  :neener:

Me too! But I'm pretty sure I got into poison oak one time and it tore me up. I've been through poison ivy many many times hunting and camping, never bothered me or anyone in my family.  :rock
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
Me too! But I'm pretty sure I got into poison oak one time and it tore me up. I've been through poison ivy many many times hunting and camping, never bothered me or anyone in my family.  :rock
I don't go into the woods often, but when I did the Police camp program we went hiking in Hollywood Georgia and a few people got poison ivy on their legs, I'm sure my legs touched every leaf theirs did but I was the one whom was fine at the end and didn't think much of it.

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »
I think everyone is born immune.  I lost a jig in a tree, then slid down it, and had open wounds because of sliding down the tree. 
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 05:09:36 PM »
Amputaion at the neck Meatwad, it's the only cure man.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 05:10:10 PM »
I'm immune.  :neener:

Same here.  I can roll in the stuff and not have an issue.  My brother seems to get it if he comes within a few yards of the plant though.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Pfftt your poison ivy is a limp wristed weak little plant...

I present to you Onga Onga - a native NZ plant that carries a standard nettle poison plus another nasty poison (possibly a neurotoxin). It kills horses, dogs, stock, one person has been recorded as dying from it. I 'brushed' it once with a finger, only lightly, I after the burning sensation stopped I lost feeling in that finger for about a week.

The stinging hairs are very obvious on this nettle being some 6mm or more in length. Crowe describes them as being like a hypodermic syringe. “The slightest touch knocks off the tip of the needle leaving a slanting point that drives into the skin. The elastic barrel at the base of the needle immediately shrinks, pumping its venom into the victom. The extract from just one of these long, fat stinging hairs is sufficient to kill a guinea pig.”
Ongaonga contains the same poison as common garden nettle but also has another, as yet unidentified, poison. In severe cases of poisoning artificial respiration and injection of atropine may be necessary. Pain can be eased somewhat with calamine or antihistimine medication. Common along edges of forest (including forest tracks!) and regenerating scrub.
This photograph taken on Kapiti Island.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
Pfftt your poison ivy is a limp wristed weak little plant...

I present to you Onga Onga - a native NZ plant that carries a standard nettle poison plus another nasty poison (possibly a neurotoxin). It kills horses, dogs, stock, one person has been recorded as dying from it. I 'brushed' it once with a finger, only lightly, I after the burning sensation stopped I lost feeling in that finger for about a week.

(Image removed from quote.)
oooh, that plant has some evil possibilities   :devil

does that plant grow rampant or is there some sort of natural control?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
some kind of caterpillar eats it. But a couple of places I got there's some thickets that I give a very wide birth. It's the little ones that get you, you'll be bush bashing or doing something and not notice them.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
some kind of caterpillar eats it. But a couple of places I got there's some thickets that I give a very wide birth. It's the little ones that get you, you'll be bush bashing or doing something and not notice them.
Process it into a salad and give it to the enemy  :D

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »
Hell if your going to go through the trouble to process it that are even better plant toxins to work with.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »
I meant just make it look like salad, but thinking of it now, how many terrorists eat salad  :lol