Author Topic: Freakin poison ivy  (Read 3006 times)

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
Re: Freakin poison ivy
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »
I don't know about you but I know that there isn't any salad that looks like that.  Personally I've been fond of messing with enemies by liberally spritzing their vehicles with doe estrus and then letting nature take it's course. :devil
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 06:22:34 PM »
 :rofl
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Rhah

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
I'm immune to it, it's really nice  :D
Kommando Nowotny

Your level of fail is increasing exponentially with every subsequent post

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
I used to get it every year as a kid.  One time I had it so bad my eyes swelled shut for two days.  Haven't had it now in over 20 years. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 07:05:13 PM »
I didnt read to see if anyone else posted this, but... meatwad, use Mineral Spirits. It along with another chemical are the ONLY substance that can kill (dry out) the poison ivy once its one your skin. I had it about a week ago for only two days and i had it somewhat bad. This has also worked every time i have gotten it.

This is what i do

When it was itchy, i would scratch it until it was opened to relieve the itch. Then i would go and pour mineral spirits onto a paper towl so it was wet. Then i would rub the paper towl over the entire area that i had poison ivy. I would pour some more on the paper towl and do every other spot. I would only be itchy after waking from sleep. However, after 5 minutes of application, the itch was no longer there either and i didnt have to apply it until the next day. Now if it gets rubbed during the day alot you might need to reapply it later in the day.

Today i also touched a poison ivy leaf on accident while picking berries and i went in and washed my hands then went out and put some mineral spirits on it to kill any oil that might have been left on my skin.

It really does the trick.

edit: i just read the thread and some mentioned about sensitive skin. With mineral spirits, there is no burning or nothing. It just feels a little greasy for all of maybe three minutes until it dries completely.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:11:27 PM by flight17 »
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
gasoline. if it starts itching, itch it a little.. then dowse the area in gasoline. dries up the oils in it while the fumes from the gasoline evaporate.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I don't get poison ivy/oak, never have*.  I once lead a friend on a hike, completely forgetting about that issue, through a lot of poison oak and he really got nailed.  I felt kinda bad, but he didn't say anything about it while on the hike.

*I haven't tempted fate by aggressively rubbing the leaves and sap on my skin as a test, so I may just be resistant.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
I don't get poison ivy/oak, never have*.  I once lead a friend on a hike, completely forgetting about that issue, through a lot of poison oak and he really got nailed.  I felt kinda bad, but he didn't say anything about it while on the hike.

*I haven't tempted fate by aggressively rubbing the leaves and sap on my skin as a test, so I may just be resistant.
got a friend who said that... decided to chew on some poison ivy. didnt swallow it, thank god.
HogDweeb

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
So far been trying the bleach method, will see how things are in a few days
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
got a friend who said that... decided to chew on some poison ivy. didnt swallow it, thank god.
That would send a person into shock and close the air way due to inflammation, serious stuff right there.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »
also for those of you who might not know. NEVER burn poison ivy/oak/sumac. If you or anyone else inhails the smoke (which can travel hundreds of feet), you will get it in your lungs which is really dangerous. My sister inhailed it when a neighbor burned it when she was little and became really sick and was only some serious steroids.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
Ive had it bad enough on the legs and arms that they were horrible swollen. I could take my finger and poke my leg and still have an indent in the skin about 1/2" deep after I removed the finger. Took some over the counter meds and it finally went down in a week or so.

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 07:37:53 PM »
That would send a person into shock and close the air way due to inflammation, serious stuff right there.
some scary stuff.

also for those of you who might not know. NEVER burn poison ivy/oak/sumac. If you or anyone else inhails the smoke (which can travel hundreds of feet), you will get it in your lungs which is really dangerous. My sister inhailed it when a neighbor burned it when she was little and became really sick and was only some serious steroids.
almost had a friend smoke it trying to be "cool"

NOTE: not the same friend who almost ate it. some area i live in...
HogDweeb

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
some scary stuff.
 almost had a friend smoke it trying to be "cool"

NOTE: not the same friend who almost ate it. some area i live in...
Why are people so stupid  :huh

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
Why are people so stupid  :huh
human nature.

ive got a rough area where i live. more inner city issues in the county i live in then the rest of the state (Springfield and Boston included in the poll)... in a farming based economy. tell me...why are people so stupid?
HogDweeb