Author Topic: KI-84  (Read 19023 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: KI-84
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
Not sure lol.

Just one of those planes where I look at it and suddenly think, "I really don't like that plane..." lol!

Ha!  That's how I feel about all of them apart from the F4U, B25, and B17.

I've got say, though, I'm really enjoying the weathering Ink, can't wait to see it on more aircraft as well!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:36:04 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
the cocpit is uber small. its wings seem to want to fold with the smallest of pings, it black-outs like crazy...
Maybe I spent too much time in Spitfires, A6Ms and even P-51s, but its wings seem pretty durable to me.  Blackouts are all on you, just because it can pull that tight doesn't mean you should. Cockpit framing is bad on it, but never had a problem with cockpit size.

If this skin gets accepted it will be interesting to see if a few people take to the Ki-84 that previously avoided it.  The skin is too weathered for my taste, but tastes differ.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2011, 04:44:01 AM »
Tyrannis, blackouts are on the pilot, not the plane. If it "blacks out like crazy" that's good. That means you can "pull 6+ G's like crazy", which is as tight as anybody can turn in the game. Some planes can't turn tight enough to achieve that sort of G-loading at various speeds, that's a serious disadvantage [in turn-fights].

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
It looks like a piece of sh!

That being said Ink, I think you did an outstanding job making it look so terrible  :D
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2011, 12:23:16 AM »
i hate the ki-84 with a passion.

the cocpit is uber small. its wings seem to want to fold with the smallest of pings, it black-outs like crazy...

and yet, i do really well in it.

to me, the ki-84 is that plane that you absolutly hate, but at the same time do really well in.
I find it to be one of the toughest birds I fly.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
I find it to be one of the toughest birds I fly.

totally...baddest bird in the hanger :aok

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:47 PM »
its the only plane I fear because with a good pilot in it your dead :devil
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
its the only plane I fear because with a good pilot in it your dead :devil

until you meet up with a good pilot in a spit :furious

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »
I am becoming addicted to this skinning..... :rofl

a couple screen shots Of the reworking it from scratch...here are a couple bare metal test shot..... teaser's.....

on a side note looking through more Japanese plane pics they had HEAVY wear and tear :aok

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
until you meet up with a good pilot in a spit :furious
I agree to a certain extent.  If you get the spit slow enough then take the fight vert its easy. 
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »
Ink, if I may make a constructive observation which pertains to the underside of the aircraft. In the fourth picture of Reply #131 I very much get the impression that the belly is not coated in mud but rather is rusty (as others have observed), which in the colloquial understanding of term, implies the presence of ferrous materials which were not present in the surface panelling of the Hayate. To me it looks like a very astute observation of a rusty car, say, has been depicted (rather well I have to say) as a texture.

However, the skin of the aircraft was made from Duralumin, oxidization of which would announce as a light metallic grey colour rather than the red-brown appearance currently depicted. Furthermore, Duralamin is and was typically coated to prevent oxidization, therefore the surface-wide effect would likely not be present.

I hate to throw a spanner in the works at this stage but to me honesty the belly looks rusty and this detracts from the realism. Would it be possible to alter the colour or in some other way to be more representative of mud, environmental dirt etc? Perhaps you could find some modern colour photos which would show some of the colours of the earth on the Japanese airbases? Where was this squadron based?

Regarding the screenshots of the bare metal texture, perhaps it's useful to know what some of those features are. The two oval shaped black areas you have adjacent to the anti-glare strip are the cowl gun gas ejection ports and these would have a sharp edge as indicated in Busa's skin and the line up photograph you posted. The rear one of these would likely be a good candidtate for some weathering as propellent residue and hot gas would emerge from here.

Also the access panel on the left side of the fusalage had straight edges and radiused corners rather than the Space Invader you have at the moment. There is a very good picture of this on page 26 of the 'Aero Detail 24 Nakajima Ki-84 Frank' book you have.

I think you're doing great and original work which is a refreshing change from what we have now, my suggestions are merely not to overlook some technical issues which would detract from your artistic efforts.

Keep up the good work  :rock

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »
You're a great Ki.84 reference, nrshida.

Along the lines of rust vs mud, I think a quick and dirty way to remove the rust perception is to just dial back the amount of red in the color.

Another difference between the two would be that rust develops in place, and would impervious to wind effect from the plane movign through the air or along the runway, whereas mus would be 'splashed; up onto the airframe while taxiing or rolling down the runway, so it's desposits I think would show strong evidence of wind streaking.

I think Photoshop has a filter which can create a 'wind' look on a layer, but I don't know about Gimp.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »
I'm going nuts here!! I want to see her INK!!! :x :x

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2011, 12:53:29 AM »
I'm going nuts here!! I want to see her INK!!! :x :x

Whoah, hey there! Put your pants back on, cowboy!  :devil
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok