Author Topic: KI-84  (Read 19030 times)

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
Re: KI-84
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »
I think the new skin looks much better, ink. Less distracting and a little more realistic in my opinion. In my opinion (double imo's :P) there's no such things as "battle hardened" in aircraft terms, only "worn out". So the previous skin looked to me like something that was getting ready to fall out of the sky. This looks more like a plane that has several more scalps to collect in its lifetime to me.

I second Ty's notion on the tail art, perhaps keep the wear in the area the same but make it look like the pilot makes sure those bones are taken care of? I think it'd look great either way though, really nothing to improve on there.

I don't get the brown belly. How did it get stained so bad? I think it looks cool but I don't understand how it was supposed to get like that... and how hard would it be to just hose it off?

I think the streaks look great and I like the attention you gave to the inside of the wheel wells. I think the wear on all the red circles should look more like the ones on the underside of the wings, less veiny and more patchy.

Great skin!

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »
You sure do nice work, ink.   I think this version is more authentic-looking for a war-weary but flyable frontline aircraft.   On the previous version I swear I could see the where the rivets had failed and the dented, corroded panel sections were coming loose from the wing spar!   

Thanks for all the angle shots - it really helps to give comments.

My thoughts:

- I don't know about the shade of brown you've chosen - it looks chocolate to me - is this a valid IJAAF color?   The Simmer's Paint Shop
www.simmerspaintshop.com has color swatches and may have the best reference color for the Japanese Army Air Force.  You could also check model kit reviews for painting instructions to get the actual name of the color to reference it at Simmers Paintshop   Whatever color it is, if the plane is that war-weary the original color is sure to be faded.

- Something going on between tread and tire sidewall - the colors are not blended well there.  It's a pain to get it right but it'll be worth the effort to do it now, since this skin will probably be in game for years to come.   Btw, go ahead and get detailed with the wheel rim in there.  Detail here can really set your skin apart from the default.   

- I do think the gun muzzle soot is overdone-too large an area, and too dark.   Perhaps nrshida sent you pics that show such heavy of staining around the wing guns?   But I tend to think less is more here.  Also, the aileron gap shadow may be a bit too wide too. 

- the antiglare black on the top of the nose looks too fresh and clean to me - its at odds with the weathering on the rest of the plane.

It's a beautiful piece of work - you seem to have conquered the hardest part of skinning with your first effort!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
I think as time passes here we are going to see some terrific skins in the future if this keeps up.

Well done Ink. :aok

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
thank you guys...for all your words and tips.

i personally think the weathering is a little over-done. especially on the tail.

you should make the skull&crossbones a little more clearer. Its the coolest part of that skin, but you can barely see it because of the weathering covering.

just my opinion.  :salute

I will rework the tail a bit, thanx :salute

Nice job!     I like the underside as well.   :rock

Thank ya, I was pretty happy with it, after looking at a bunch of skins I noticed that most don't have the exhaust coming over the bottom of the wings, they just have it on the body, that the wing end ups covering, and looks messed up, I wanted to make sure I got that right.  :salute

Ink, just my opinion:
the belly is beautiful. But the top is a step back from the previous model. I guess you pulled the brake on your fantasy and made it after that photo.
In the other hand its ready to be an in-game skin  :aok

Thanx for reply :salute

I think the new skin looks much better, ink. Less distracting and a little more realistic in my opinion. In my opinion (double imo's :P) there's no such things as "battle hardened" in aircraft terms, only "worn out". So the previous skin looked to me like something that was getting ready to fall out of the sky. This looks more like a plane that has several more scalps to collect in its lifetime to me.

I second Ty's notion on the tail art, perhaps keep the wear in the area the same but make it look like the pilot makes sure those bones are taken care of? I think it'd look great either way though, really nothing to improve on there.

I don't get the brown belly. How did it get stained so bad? I think it looks cool but I don't understand how it was supposed to get like that... and how hard would it be to just hose it off?

I think the streaks look great and I like the attention you gave to the inside of the wheel wells. I think the wear on all the red circles should look more like the ones on the underside of the wings, less veiny and more patchy.

Great skin!

I wanted to show the dirt and grime, hell this driver don't care how his plane looks he just kicks arse in it :D

thanx :salute

You sure do nice work, ink.   I think this version is more authentic-looking for a war-weary but flyable frontline aircraft.   On the previous version I swear I could see the where the rivets had failed and the dented, corroded panel sections were coming loose from the wing spar!   

Thanks for all the angle shots - it really helps to give comments.

My thoughts:

- I don't know about the shade of brown you've chosen - it looks chocolate to me - is this a valid IJAAF color?   The Simmer's Paint Shop
www.simmerspaintshop.com has color swatches and may have the best reference color for the Japanese Army Air Force.  You could also check model kit reviews for painting instructions to get the actual name of the color to reference it at Simmers Paintshop   Whatever color it is, if the plane is that war-weary the original color is sure to be faded.

- Something going on between tread and tire sidewall - the colors are not blended well there.  It's a pain to get it right but it'll be worth the effort to do it now, since this skin will probably be in game for years to come.   Btw, go ahead and get detailed with the wheel rim in there.  Detail here can really set your skin apart from the default.   

- I do think the gun muzzle soot is overdone-too large an area, and too dark.   Perhaps nrshida sent you pics that show such heavy of staining around the wing guns?   But I tend to think less is more here.  Also, the aileron gap shadow may be a bit too wide too. 

- the antiglare black on the top of the nose looks too fresh and clean to me - its at odds with the weathering on the rest of the plane.

It's a beautiful piece of work - you seem to have conquered the hardest part of skinning with your first effort!
thanx :salute

there are no good pics of the "right" color, and much controversy when it comes to Japanese planes,  for this plane I have seen it in three different shades of green and brown, and in black, trust me I did my searching, but then chose what color I thought looked the best, I was wanting to make it black, but after serious searching, none were black so I chose the next closest color.

after looking at it, I also agree the gun muzzle soot is a bit to heavy on the underside, I am gonna rework that a bit.  the paint they must have used for the black nose, on every plane(just about) was NOT worn out the way the rest of the planes were so I left that like it was new....I kinda like it, don't know if I will change that :headscratch:

I think as time passes here we are going to see some terrific skins in the future if this keeps up.

Well done Ink. :aok

thank you I appreciate the words :salute

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »

Rust doesn't hose off.

Awesome work ink.  :rock

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
Rust doesn't hose off.

Thank Ya Grizz :salute

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
brown belly from a gears up landing ;) lol

Overall - OUTSTANDING job. I'm going to hold off flying the KI until this skin gets thrown in....then it will be all I fly for a while. :D

I do agree that the skull and crossbones should be a tad more visible but other than that, I am in love with this skin lol

:salute
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »
Rust doesn't hose off.

I thought it was mud. I wasn't criticizing because ink certainly knows more about this plane that I do, I was just asking why it looks like that (never seen it on other skins).

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2011, 06:55:42 PM »
I thought it was mud. I wasn't criticizing because ink certainly knows more about this plane that I do, I was just asking why it looks like that (never seen it on other skins).

mud..... dirt.... rust.....all the above :D

just seems like a plane that is on dirt with all the grease, sortie after sortie for months on end would not look "pretty" especially the belly that is getting hit by rocks, dirt ect ect.....constantly , I may have went a bit over the top, the way the skin stretches over the belly, it "stretches" the skin, distorting it a small bit, which was by the way driving me insane :rofl so I kept working it till I was some what happy......

ya most skins look like they just rolled from the hanger....I can assure you for any skin I make, which I plan on doing more,(even if I am doing it wrong) will not look like that.    I had an absolute blast making this, truly I am an artist, have been my whole life, and to do this for a game I love....well...........seems appropriate  :salute

brown belly from a gears up landing ;) lol

Overall - OUTSTANDING job. I'm going to hold off flying the KI until this skin gets thrown in....then it will be all I fly for a while. :D

I do agree that the skull and crossbones should be a tad more visible but other than that, I am in love with this skin lol

thank ya very much I am glad you like it, I am reworkin the Jolly Roger now :D

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:57:51 PM by ink »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2011, 07:24:07 AM »
Like someone else remarked, the black on top of the cowling doesn't appear the same age as the rest of the plane.  Also, the meatballs under the wings could have the chipped paint, but not be sun-faded like those on top of the wings.  I like the mud.  The weathering is a bit much, but it is very well done. :aok
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »
I hate to repeat myself but (I keep catching myself looking at this skin), even though I absolutely hate the KI-84....I think I'm going to make it my new plane of choice, with this skin. I get tired of flying "brand new" planes. It's nice to see a "beat up" and "used" air craft, though I do like flying a "new" one every once in a while. :) :)
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
Out of curiosity, why do you hate the Ki-84 so much?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »
Not sure lol.

Just one of those planes where I look at it and suddenly think, "I really don't like that plane..." lol!

HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »
Understood.  That is my reaction to P-40s.  I know a lot of people like them, I don't have anything against them personally, but I just dislike how they look.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »
Out of curiosity, why do you hate the Ki-84 so much?
i hate the ki-84 with a passion.

the cocpit is uber small. its wings seem to want to fold with the smallest of pings, it black-outs like crazy...

and yet, i do really well in it.

to me, the ki-84 is that plane that you absolutly hate, but at the same time do really well in.