Author Topic: KI-84  (Read 19916 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: KI-84
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2011, 12:25:59 AM »
HOLY CARP BRO!!!  :O

I wander off for a couple of weeks and you are posting this stuff?

You have amazing talent sir.  I'll fly your work any time.  I mean that  :salute
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »
HOLY CARP BRO!!!  :O

I wander off for a couple of weeks and you are posting this stuff?

You have amazing talent sir.  I'll fly your work any time.  I mean that  :salute

Thank ya very much  :salute

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2011, 03:51:37 AM »
..I suddenly have an urge to fly this plane...

I HATE this plane...but...I want to fly it now....

oh crap... :uhoh
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2011, 04:38:16 AM »
..I suddenly have an urge to fly this plane...

I HATE this plane...but...I want to fly it now....

oh crap... :uhoh

:D

little more work done to it

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2011, 05:09:39 AM »
I do admire the weathering Ink, although I am like others more reminded of a lost in the jungle for forty years, Pirates of the Caribbean ghost ship theme. You have explored the limits of weathering but subtlety can often be more effective. This is merely my humble opinion. Please note that Japanese pilot's boots had smooth leather soles (with heels) and they likely did not have access to Timberlands   :frown:

Keep up the good work, I am sure you will contribute some excellent skins  :aok

P.S. I will send you some Hayate books this evening in pdf format, plenty of detail shots as well as full pictures of aircraft in service. Check pms later.
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2011, 05:17:51 AM »
I do admire the weathering Ink, although I am like others more reminded of a lost in the jungle for forty years, Pirates of the Caribbean ghost ship theme. You have explored the limits of weathering but subtlety can often be more effective. This is merely my humble opinion. Please note that Japanese pilot's boots had smooth leather soles (with heels) and they likely did not have access to Timberlands   :frown:

P.S. I will send you some Hayate books this evening in pdf format, plenty of detail shots as well as full pictures of aircraft in service. Check pms later.

:rofl didn't even think about the boot pattern hahaha....I look forward to them :salute

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2011, 05:53:47 AM »
Im in awe of the artistry, but can only agree with the others that it is a little too much

But it would be awesome to see in game
 :aok
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2011, 06:03:42 AM »

:D

little more work done to it

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

that one is great!!! We need more planeskins looks like this one! I love stronmg weathered skins!

:aok

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
Feel free to share :D

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »

But did you see anything else besided the boot print????? look again

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2011, 03:47:45 PM »
But did you see anything else besided the boot print????? look again
Talking about the  hand prints?

Loving this skin though! :D
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
Talking about the  hand prints?

Loving this skin though! :D

yes and the stress wrinkles on the wing tips too....dam good work I tell you.

"Oppulance...it has it...when Ink sais I can get a bunch of kills....I jump in it" (in russian accent)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMsSIjQXxo

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
yes and the stress wrinkles on the wing tips too....dam good work I tell you.

"Oppulance...it has it...when Ink sais I can get a bunch of kills....I jump in it" (in russian accent)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMsSIjQXxo

:rofl

Ty Marine :salute

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »
 :salute

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
There are a lot of different types of wear and tear. As mentioned yours looks like it's been pouded by the elements or underwater for 50 years.

There's sun bleaching, there's sand blasting, there's fading from age, there's a number of things up to and including peeling/chipping.

Now, what the Japanese paint did was peel/flake. It came off. What you're doing is mixing about 10 different types of paint wear and tear that really don't mix. You've got a very heavy splotchy pattern mixed with multiple faded colors then mixed with paint that looks like it's been rinsed off. etc..

I think it's overly extreme and not realistic at all. It's about the logic of the pattern you see. The weathering you have applied isn't logical. No set of circumstances would have combined to give you what you see there. I think it's a good start as many would tend to UNDER-state their first attempt at weathering. That can be hard to overcome and now you don't have to worry about it.

I think what you need to do is go back and check out the pics you looked up for similar planes and take a good look. Dollars to donuts if you find paint chipping/peeling it will be almost crisp. It won't be faded or blotchy in most cases with IJA/IJN and you'll find a harder "edge" to where the paint disappears.

The Japanese paint lacked adherence. That is it didn't stick, and parts came off if it didn't stick. Often along flexible joints, access panels, places of high traffic (walk areas, etc). Now, faded paint denotes a long-term exposure or heavy use. If the paint has stuck around long enough to fade, it isn't going to fall off like that. Scratches are another thing -- they can be on both old or new paint jobs, but will look a little different. Often scratches do not go down "to the bone" and show metal. They also are centered only on areas that would be scratched by ground crew or pilots. For example you use them to break up patterns all the way out on the wings and back. There's not much reason for scratches here unless the ground crew were flogging the ship with palm fronds all day long.

Something a little more realistic is something along the lines of this:

and:

But my question is: Why? You have a clear photo of how the real plane looked. You can see clearly, plain as day, it doesn't look anything like that. All the other planes on the line next to it, as well as similar planes in other units painted the same color, share none of these weathering traits.

Naturally weathering can be subjective, but IMO you can't just go and strip half the paint off a plane that never showed that kind of display in real life. The point is to simulate or replicate the historic profile you have chosen. There are others out there missing half their paint, so I would suggest find some good references, then do that skin if you want to do one beat-to-heck.

Smaller notes:

Bullet holes are a silly thing. No airframe is going back into battle with unpatched bullet holes. They cover and seal the holes when they repair any damage the bullet has done.

Also, the Hinomaru were hand-painted and maintained as a matter of national/cultural pride in most cases. You would never find them in such a sad state on any flying IJA/IJN aircraft.

P.S. Just for reference material:
http://www.ijaafphotos.com/jbwki841.htm