Author Topic: Something to make Americans smile (Marines in particular)  (Read 795 times)

Offline EDO43

• Copper Member
Something to make Americans smile (Marines in particular)
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »
This has got to be one of the greatest quotes of all time.
 I thought this might make you smile.

...a conversation overheard on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai.

Iranian Air Defense Site:
'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft:
'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft:
 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

( dead air .. silence)

There is just something about a US Marine that makes other countries listen to reason.
Mawey -a-  tsmukan

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Re: Something to make Americans smile (Marines in particular)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
 :rofl :rofl
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
too bad it's fake.  sounds like that coast guard cutter and the lighthouse.

yup I was right.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=39907

posted there:

Point 1. Challenges are not broadcast on VHF Guard. And 121.5 MHz is not Guard in the sense being used here. 121.5 MHz is international distress, used by emergency beacons and such.

Point 2. You never identify yourself to that degree when initiating a challenge or responding to one. The correct response would of been something along the lines of "United States Aircraft" not specifically "United States Marine Corp F/A-18." When responding to a challenge you identify yourself only in the vaguest terms necessary.

Even on Nimitz Class Aircraft Carriers, which even at many miles simply cannot be mistaken for anything else on the planet, refer to ourselves when responding to challenges only using the generic term "United States Warship."

Now even granting that this story is still someone within the realm of possibility. Iran routinely challenges US Forces in the area, challenges happen almost constantly while we transit the straights of Hormuz for instance. And yes Iran often does take a harsher tone on those challenges until they they learn they are talking to US Forces.

Still don't see an exchange like this happening though.

semp
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:59:39 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
This "story" is older than dirt. I remember it from 30 years ago with Lybia instead of Iran.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Smkn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
I've heard this same story yet another way:

Speaker #1: Unidentified ship, you are in danger with colliding with us, please change course.

Ship: This is a Coast Guard Vessel, YOU change course.

Speaker #1: Coast Guard Vessel, I repeat again, if you maintain your current heading you will hit us. Change course.

Ship: I am James Smith, Captain of this American Coast Guard Destroyer, with years of experience behind me. I will not change course. Move aside or face the consequences.

Speaker #1: My friends call me Tony, and I work the radar at the South Point Lighthouse, we can continue this conversation when you get here.

Undoubtedly made up, but brings a slight chuckle regardless.

-Smkn-

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
real or not, they all should make you smile and that is the point.... i needed a smile as i love the 4Th yet always remember our friends and family who will not be by my side this weekend.  :salute

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
I've heard this same story yet another way:

Speaker #1: Unidentified ship, you are in danger with colliding with us, please change course.

Ship: This is a Coast Guard Vessel, YOU change course.

Speaker #1: Coast Guard Vessel, I repeat again, if you maintain your current heading you will hit us. Change course.

Ship: I am James Smith, Captain of this American Coast Guard Destroyer, with years of experience behind me. I will not change course. Move aside or face the consequences.

Speaker #1: My friends call me Tony, and I work the radar at the South Point Lighthouse, we can continue this conversation when you get here.

Undoubtedly made up, but brings a slight chuckle regardless.

-Smkn-

lol great story
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
real or not, they all should make you smile and that is the point.... i needed a smile as i love the 4Th yet always remember our friends and family who will not be by my side this weekend.  :salute

well there's a difference between trying to pass something as true (even unknowingly) and hey here's a joke.  look at this website, it has lots of funny stories that may or may not be true.

http://www.snopes.com/

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:29 AM »
Although the various stories about the Habu flights are rather funny...

An SR-71 pilot told this story from his first flight with a new co-pilot(SR-71 was the USAAF advanced ‘stealth’ reconnaissance aircraft known as the Blackbird). An SR-71 and crew were flying over Southern California when a bug smasher came on the airwaves in a dorky voice:
Cessna 152: Ground Control, What’s my airspeed?
Ground Control: 100 at FL 100. A few moments later a cocky voice came on;
Mooney M20: Ground Control, What’s MY airspeed?
Ground Control: 240 at FL 240.
By this time the SR pilot was seething, but since communications were the duty of his new co-pilot, he remained silent. A few moments of radio silence passed, and in the calmest voice imaginable the co-pilot keyed in:
SR-71: Ground Control, What’s our airspeed?
Ground Control: 1875 at FL 800.
There were no more speed checks called in that afternoon, and the pilot knew that he had a cool partner in the back seat.

SR-71: "Good Morning, tower, Habu 21 is requesting FL600"
ATC: "Say again, Habu 21. Was that FL six-zero-zero?"
SR-71: "Roger that, tower, flight level six hundred."
ATC: "Habu 21, if you think you can reach it, you can have it."
ATC - "callsign, if you can get high enough, you are cleared to FL600"
SR-71: "Thank you, tower. Habu 21 out of FL850 for FL600."

As to whether either of them is true... I'm reminded of a quote from John M. Ford's 'Star Trek' novel How Much for Just the Planet?:
Kaden pointed upstairs. "I am not tired either. Let us converse as well. I know many glorious lies of battle."

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:54:54 AM »
I believe the response is something like "I am a coalition aircraft in international airspace conducting routine operations......"
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:46:30 AM »
ive heard that first one Shiva, and after reading the idfferent variants of the OP, ive heard this one too... still funny none-the-less
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb