Author Topic: New air combat movie  (Read 2558 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: New air combat movie
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »
No teenage heart throbs no fediddlein teenage type drama. If you do that we''ll end up with another version of this.

(Image removed from quote.)

I find myself in agreement here. Bring in a fresh group of actors, no hollywood bigshots.

Get some young guys together, guys that have a passion for aviation and history, and would
like to act and recreate and honor these men. No bigshots, just some guys who want to do this.

Think of the cast of Flight 91 (IIRC, it's been awhile...) - their weren't any bigshots there from
what I remember, and it was a truly inspiring, touching, even heartbreaking movie.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:47 AM »
No teenage heart throbs no fediddlein teenage type drama. If you do that we''ll end up with another version of this.

(Image removed from quote.)

I actually liked that movie, the action and the romance parts, write me off as a noob but I have a wide taste in movies, I also enjoyed Titanic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqU_WH8Cd0Best scene in pearl harbor
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:26:02 AM by F22RaptorDude »
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 06:54:28 AM »
I'll put up with a lot to see WWII fighters on the big screen.  And Kate Beckinsale is pretty easy on the eyes.

There are so many WWII air combat stories to be told though-- I wish they would branch out and cover some new territory rather than doing remakes.

I'd like to see Pvt Ryan quality film of the 8th Air Force Schweinfurt raid, or the Cactus Air Force struggles on Guadalcanal,  or the ace race in the Pacific between Bong, McGuire, and Kearby.   

I'll definitely go support this film if it gets released though.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 07:21:22 AM »
I always wished that maybe starz or HBO would to a series on the airmen of ww2 (similier to band of brothers)

Could maybe follow 2 brothers? one that becomes a bomber pilot in the 8th. (possibly 91st?) And the other becomes a fighter pilot.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
No teenage heart throbs no fediddlein teenage type drama.

LOL, well your'e gonna need actors from that age group, so at least get some popular ones, but yeah make it an action/drama film and not a romance.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
I'll put up with a lot to see WWII fighters on the big screen.  And Kate Beckinsale is pretty easy on the eyes.

WINNAR WINNAR CHICKEN DINNAR!!!!

As much as Pearl Harbor made me want to punch babies and stomp kittens, you're right..... I'd even tolerate Rosie O'Donnell co-starring if Kate has a leading role.

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »
WINNAR WINNAR CHICKEN DINNAR!!!!

As much as Pearl Harbor made me want to punch babies and stomp kittens, you're right..... I'd even tolerate Rosie O'Donnell co-starring if Kate has a leading role.

That would be the equivalent of puking rotten Mexican 1 minute then have an O the next.  Not a good tradeoff.  Just keep Rosie O'Donnell out of the picture period.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
Best WWII air combat movie made yet, Fo Sho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1ozeyaFN4

:D
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 09:57:34 AM »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
Best WWII air combat movie made yet, Fo Sho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1ozeyaFN4

:D

:rofl  :rofl  

I think this video sums up Aces High very nicely.   Is that AH 0.5 graphics model?  

"you couldn't hit the ground with a turd"    this also reflects the average AHers hit %   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
Best WWII aviation movie is actually a mini-series called "piece of cake":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R7pDoBSrKg&feature=related

This is a forgotten gem.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
Of course I would prefer a movie to be one that the veterans could get behind and be proud of.

"You ever talk to any 8th AF bomber crew about "Memphis Belle"?  I remember talking to some 91st BG vets."

I did more than that, I spoke to one of the actual crew members of the Memphis Belle who was at the premier promoting the film.

However, this was 21 years ago and I don't remember his name or exactly what he said.

As far as the last mission of the Memphis Belle, without looking, I seem to remember reading that it was actually fairly uneventful, unlike the movie.

To an extent, creative liberties will always be taken, as a feature film has to be different than a documentary.

As long as it isn't too outlandish and captures the general spirit, it still exposes non purists to the heroism of the men involved.

If it is more palatable to you, I wouldn't mind a fictional story line about a fictional unit that is big budget with awesome special effects just so that we can get more people interested in a unique time in American history where the greatest generation gave their greatest effort.

Best bet would probably be a remake of "Twelve O'Clock High".  Maybe tell it a bit closer to the actual book.  "Serenade to the Big Bird" would be a good book to base a movie off of too.  Much more of a story that while based in WW2 would tie into the present day world wonderfully. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
Best bet would probably be a remake of "Twelve O'Clock High".  Maybe tell it a bit closer to the actual book.  "Serenade to the Big Bird" would be a good book to base a movie off of too.  Much more of a story that while based in WW2 would tie into the present day world wonderfully. 

Excellent choice.

I recently saw that classic.

Would love to see it remade with todays special effects technology.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »
'Black Thursday' ..ohh yaa .. would be an excellent movie (Schweinfurt Raid in October of '43)

Any story of a fighter pilot .. Preddy, Hartmann, ..heck even a movie of Rudel and his Stuka would rock.

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE