Author Topic: News: 12hrs side-switch LWA  (Read 13430 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: News: 12hrs side-switch LWA
« Reply #405 on: July 22, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
Side balancing was handicapped by this change. The ebb and flow of folks signing in and out is a constant. The ability to change sides to help even up sides is once every 12 hours.

I doubt it was handicapped.  Plus, I think you're looking at things in snapshots rather than over the course of an evening.  With short side switching, you'll probably see two phenomena:  First, you'll almost always have one side with a major advantage.  Folks like a winner, and they hate getting ganged, so you'll have a large proportion of players hopping to the "winning" side and exacerbating the imbalance.  I suspect the number of people who hop to the largest side easily outweighs those trying to balance out the numbers.

Second, as the night wears on and people log in and out, the balance of power potentially shifts to another country.  Suddenly you see major imbalances emerge as that country has everyone flock to it in that time frame.  So a short side switch doesn't necessarily equate to balanced sides, but rather leads to greater side imbalances in the short term and wild fluctuations in numbers between sides in the medium term (over the course of a night).  That should be especially bad in a huge arena compared to smaller arenas.

Limiting side switching flattens out those fluctuations, at least in theory.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:00:18 PM by hitech »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #407 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »
Playing the advocate here Shuffler.  I have not seen the large ENY's since the two arenas were combined.  So why do folks need to switch to even up sides that are more less balanced according to the low or no ENY numbers?   :headscratch:
Mind you a lot of us fly at all sorts of different times, and I typically fly 8-10 PM EDT during the week.

:salute

Way

To find a fight! Just because there is a low ENY does not mean there is a fight at hand. It is much more than just numbers. One side may have a lot of folks not fighting, or GVing, or bombing, etc. In that case if you are a fighter jock your out of luck. Same goes if your GVing and most on the other side are in fighters or bombers. In either case the ability to change sides in a reasonable time frame may mean fun or no fun. Due to the ebb and flow this can change many times in a 12 hour period.

There is no right or wrong here. It boils down to the point of keeping the majority happy one way or the other and keeping the playability of the game intact.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #408 on: July 22, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
You probably missed my thoughts on that it got rule 4 ed, it basically amounted to yeah Hitech I hear what your saying but I don't believe you, that you simply 'forgot' to add this when switching to one arena.

I've always found HTC to be pretty open and honest about their reasons for making changes.  If they found spying to be a huge problem, I suspect they'd announce they made a change for that very reason.  I'm not sure why they would want to hide their reasoning if spying was in fact the primary motivator.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »
are you playing again levi?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
To find a fight! Just because there is a low ENY does not mean there is a fight at hand. It is much more than just numbers. One side may have a lot of folks not fighting, or GVing, or bombing, etc. In that case if you are a fighter jock your out of luck. Same goes if your GVing and most on the other side are in fighters or bombers. In either case the ability to change sides in a reasonable time frame may mean fun or no fun. Due to the ebb and flow this can change many times in a 12 hour period.

There is no right or wrong here. It boils down to the point of keeping the majority happy one way or the other and keeping the playability of the game intact.

Understood.  As an AH II ADHD sufferer I am jumping from a fighter, to a jabo, to buffs, to field guns, to GV's in rapid succession all night and action is never lacking for me.  I can appreciate that some players approach this game with a single method of combat in mind.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2011, 01:06:18 PM »
are you playing again levi?

Nah, I've been sucked into Rift these days with a side helping of Bioshock.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #412 on: July 22, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
The change has nothing to do with preventing spying and everything to do with side-balancing.

I'm confused how keeping folks from switching sides, helps with side balance? This would assume that most people switch to the side with the MOST players. Isn't the oposite true?  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #413 on: July 22, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Nah, I've been sucked into Rift these days with a side helping of Bioshock.

....*sigh*.....such a waste.....

- oldman

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Nah, I've been sucked into Rift these days.

Any good?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #415 on: July 22, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
I'm confused how keeping folks from switching sides, helps with side balance? This would assume that most people switch to the side with the MOST players. Isn't the oposite true?  :salute

Yes, and I think that assumption is accurate.  Constant side imbalances cited in here even with the lower side switching time limit support that assumption.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #416 on: July 22, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
Any good?

It's alright.  I've been playing it far more casually than I did WoW, which is kind of funny since I've somehow wound up in hardcore guild that's clearing all of the current end game content.  It only takes them a night to do it though.

It's basically WoW even down to renamed talent choices (Retaliation instead of Revenge for warrior tanks, Incriminate instead of Misdirect for hunter types, etc).  The graphics are far superior and some of the boss fights have interesting mechanics.  The talent system is vastly superior to WoW.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »
Yes, and I think that assumption is accurate.  Constant side imbalances cited in here even with the lower side switching time limit support that assumption.

But wait. HiTech said when side imbalances were created due to folks swapping arenas, that the solution was to lower the time limit to correct the imbalance. If that was the solution then, why isn't a solution now? That would imply that folks weren't switching sides creating bigger imbalances, but just the opposite. no?  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #418 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Because they are not switching arenas any more so the sides stay balanced better.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #419 on: July 22, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
But wait. HiTech said when side imbalances were created due to folks swapping arenas, that the solution was to lower the time limit to correct the imbalance. If that was the solution then, why isn't a solution now? That would imply that folks weren't switching sides creating bigger imbalances, but just the opposite. no?  :salute

Look at what HiTech said:

the need arose to be able to change countries when you changed arenas.

That's the stated major rationale for why they went to one hour IMO.  The consequences of going to two arenas were massive side imbalances (likely due to the lower side switching limit necessary to accommodate two arenas).  In addition, it's very likely that players on the "losing" side were more likely to switch to a new arena, exacerbating side imbalances even more.  With one arena, you don't need to allow people to change countries when moving to a new arena; the rationale for allowing that no longer exists.