Author Topic: Lancstuka...the data no one bothered to look up  (Read 3904 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Lancstuka...the data no one bothered to look up
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
Tell me kind sir, how does the statistic "Years in Service during the War" play into your data? 

A BUNCH OF REASONABLE STATISTICS
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
07/18/44 05:45 - 1,056 Halifax and Lancaster bombers flew at 3,000 feet and dropped bombs on the tank positions of the 21st Panzer Division which resulted in the 22nd Panzer Regiment and the III/503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion being knocked temporarily out of action.  The resulting bombing of the German tank positions left tanks over turned, destroyed out right and some were later found abandoned in bomb craters.

Results of the bombing:
(Image removed from quote.)

Enjoy.

ack-ack

that's 1,042 bombers akak.  not 3 like in the game.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »
havent seen anything as of late though, whats your take?

My take is still the same as of 6 months ago as been documented in my AH stats 2010 link ;) Since then, nothing much has changed. There is still much more talk about "Lancstukas" than actual Lancstukas.

And while the ratio of GV to air kills by the Lancs is interesting, it's not very telling by itself. If you want to see the impact of the Lanc has on the GV's you have to look at it from the GV perspective - how many tanks are being killed by Lancasters compared to all other means? If we do that, we see that Lancasters are only responsible vor a very small percentage of all tank kills. Usually between 3% and 4% of all GV kills by planes are made by Lancs (current data), and planes do account for only about 10-15% of tank kills anyway.

I'm not a gv'er and I don't have an issue with lancs bombing gvs, but I do find it silly when I see lanc's dive bombing. For some reason their wings don't break like the other heavy bombers  :headscratch:

For some odd reason I never see Lancs going "Stuka" at all. All I see is them dropping bombs from level flight or a very shallow (and not very fast) dive - which shouldn't be much of a problem.
This reminds me a bit of all that talk about Spit 16's accelerating while going straight up that was so prevalent for about 2-3 years ;)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:59:20 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »

It was just operational restrictions that prevented them from doing that. Having an unlimited supply of planes, with no risk of real death and a very different, and very confined battle environment, we are free to use any plane in very silly way. Different combat environment breeds different tactics. Hurricane D's and Il-2's do fly their attacks on tanks totally different in AH than in WW2 too.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
Tell me kind sir, how does the statistic "Years in Service during the War" play into your data? 

I'm not certain what the question is?

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 03:37:09 PM »
The data on Lancstukas K/D is skewed. Many times they simply bomb and bail, they arent about to fly all the way back to an airbase. Ive seen them do it even while defending an airbase. :D So some GV ends up getting a 3 ringer just for being near the B&B'er crash sight.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
The Lancaster served about 75% longer than the American heavies.....  It would be easy to correlate your K/D data to that difference in time served. 

I'm not certain what the question is?
See Rule #4

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 03:46:56 PM »
The Lancaster served about 75% longer than the American heavies.....  It would be easy to correlate your K/D data to that difference in time served. 

No it wouldn't.  These numbers are from our game, LW this current month

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »
 :lol

You've been talking about the game this whole time and not RL.......  :headscratch:   Well fart me, forget what I said.   :bolt:

:lol
No it wouldn't.  These numbers are from our game, LW this current month
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »
Just another way to put things into perspective:

Last tour, 0.3% of all Panzer IV that had been killed suffered their fate by the hands of a Lancaster pilot. Yes, that's 3 out of 1000. ;)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
Just another way to put things into perspective:

Last tour, 0.3% of all Panzer IV that had been killed suffered their fate by the hands of a Lancaster pilot. Yes, that's 3 out of 1000. ;)

I once was accused of egging GVs with a 109 k4!.... Its amazing what duct tape can hold!
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »

semp

It doesn't matter...it does not invalidate the fact that Lancasters, along with other heavy bombers were used to bomb tanks in real life.  Nice try though, better luck next time.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
All I see is them dropping bombs from level flight or a very shallow (and not very fast) dive - which shouldn't be much of a problem.

You're right, it wasn't a problem at all as Lancasters were also used in the shallow dive bombing role.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 04:16:57 PM »
The OP's statistics are backwards.  I think he has a bright future in politics as he is doing very well on using statistics to lie.

The percentage of a bomber's kills that are GVs, particularly when the bomber in question has a very hard time killing other aircraft, tells us literally nothing useful.

The statistic he should have been showing is what percentage of GVs were destroyed by said bomber, but that doesn't serve his desire.  There has been a lot of utter hyperbole spread on this forum over the last few days by people who GV a lot and to listen to them talk about aircraft ruining the tank game you'd think that aircraft were getting at least 50% of the kills on GV, probably more like 66% or 75%.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
Updated with the HurriIID by request.  Note Snailman(42), NekoNabe(32), waystin2(25), and ZEKE31st(19) make up 50% of the total kills.

Plane         GV kills   Total Kills   GV Kill Ratio to aircraft %   Killed By GV       Total Losses   % Loss to GV   GV Kill/Death ratio
Lancaster    1180         2865                               41%             1224                  12686             9.6%                     0.96
B17              275         3620                             7.50%              424                  9527              4.0%                      0.64
B24              300         2753                           10.10%              309                  7978              3.8%                       0.97
A20             2785        3929                           70.90%             1987                  2848             70.0%                      1.40
IL2              1832        2197                           83.34%             1147                  1953             58.7%                      1.60
HurriIID          237         374                                63%              285                    659               43%                       0.83