Author Topic: Lancstuka...the data no one bothered to look up  (Read 3905 times)

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Lancstuka...the data no one bothered to look up
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
     After reading post after post of complaints about heavy bombers (especially the lanc) being used to unfairly bomb GVs  I decided it was time to show some data.  ESPECIALLY since I have not seen one piece of factual data in ANY post, all just being opinions, and speculations.
     But it sure seems like there is alot of complaints about dive bombing lancs, maybe there is something to this. 

These are current statistics for the current late war arena for aircraft performance against GVs
I included our our three non-perked heavies the B17, B24, and Lancaster.  I included two dedicated attack aircraft, the IL2 and the A20 so we can compare how well these aircraft perform

Plane         GV kills   Total Kills   GV Kill Ratio to aircraft %   Killed By GV       Total Losses   % Loss to GV   GV Kill/Death ratio
Lancaster    1180         2865                               41%            1224                12686              9.6%                        0.96
B17              275         3620                             7.50%              424                  9527              4.0%                         0.64
B24              300         2753                           10.10%              309                  7978              3.8%                      0.97
A20            2785       3929                           70.90%             1987          2848             70.0%                      1.40
IL2              1832       2197                           83.34%                1147               1953             58.7%                        1.60

As you can see that out of the heavies the lancaster truly is used far more against gv's as opposed to the B17 and B24 with 41% of its kills being vehicles.  Only 9.6% of it's losses were from GVs, however its GV Kill/Death ratio is still less than 1 at .96 and it gets severely pwned compared with...

.....the A20 and IL2.  These are uses almost exclusively against ground targets with 70.9 and 83.34 or their credited kills going against GV's.  They fair much better against them as will with a K/D ratio at 1.4 and 1.6 respectfully.

To add my .02, with the posts about the dreaded "lancstuka" it seems that you tankers out there should be more concerned with dedicated attack aircraft, both the A20 and the IL2 have a favorable K/D ratio and both have destroyed significantly more vehicles than the Lancaster has.  Further more GV's have a slightly better K/D against them.  In short if a Lancaster attacks your tank, you have a much better chance against that then a "true" attack aircraft.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: Lancstuka...the data no one bothered to look up
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:28:42 PM »
Oh I almost forgot
Myth plausible :aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:30:06 PM »
     After reading post after post of complaints about heavy bombers (especially the lanc) being used to unfairly bomb GVs  I decided it was time to show some data.  ESPECIALLY since I have not seen one piece of factual data in ANY post, all just being opinions, and speculations.

Yes, nobody has ever provided any data on that matter....  :rofl
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »
if the 17 held 14 1000lbs bombs it would be used more often too I imagine.

The reality is,  where are the actually WWII stats that show Lancasters killing GVs..
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
I should have added, except for luche :rolleyes:
havent seen anything as of late though, whats your take?

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »

The reality is,  where are the actually WWII stats that show Lancasters killing GVs..

This has nothing to do with actual WWII stats. :lol
These are AH2 stats

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »

Hate to break it to you, but this is NOT a WWII simulator.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:34:17 PM »

07/18/44 05:45 - 1,056 Halifax and Lancaster bombers flew at 3,000 feet and dropped bombs on the tank positions of the 21st Panzer Division which resulted in the 22nd Panzer Regiment and the III/503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion being knocked temporarily out of action.  The resulting bombing of the German tank positions left tanks over turned, destroyed out right and some were later found abandoned in bomb craters.

Results of the bombing:

Enjoy.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »
Hate to break it to you, but this is NOT a WWII simulator.

Every plane and GV in this game is based on planes from WWII.  It is my understanding, from reading past BBS Threads, they are supposedly modeled as close as possible to their performance during that time.  Seems it can go either way.  As some can say, "you can't have your cake and eat it to".     :bolt:

Fred

Edit: Sorry, forgot about the exception of the three or four WWI planes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:56:23 PM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
I think most people's complaint about lancs bombing GV's is that with the payload the lanc can carry plus the 3 plane formation; it doesn't take much skill to destroy a GV with the lanc.  People get more irritated if their death was brought about by what they see as "easy mode".  The Il2 and A20 (and the other dive bombers/Jabo planes) take more skill and work to destroy a small target on the ground like a GV, the lancs can just salvo a handfull of 1000lb bombs onto the general area of a GV and still fly away with the kill, AND still have enough bombs left over to repeat the process 3 or 4 more times. 

To sum up, it sucks getting bombed when in a GV, it sucks more when bombed in a GV by a gamey or easy method.

Ack-ack, nice pictures. Hadn't seen those before.  :aok
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
I think most people's complaint about lancs bombing GV's is that with the payload the lanc can carry plus the 3 plane formation; it doesn't take much skill to destroy a GV with the lanc.  People get more irritated if their death was brought about by what they see as "easy mode".  The Il2 and A20 (and the other dive bombers/Jabo planes) take more skill and work to destroy a small target on the ground like a GV, the lancs can just salvo a handfull of 1000lb bombs onto the general area of a GV and still fly away with the kill, AND still have enough bombs left over to repeat the process 3 or 4 more times. 

To sum up, it sucks getting bombed when in a GV, it sucks more when bombed in a GV by a gamey or easy method.

Ack-ack, nice pictures. Hadn't seen those before.  :aok

The stats seem to show that the lanc does not fly away with the kill

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
he might not make it back to land the kills, true. That doesn't mean the lanc pilot wont have enough time over a GV battle to empty his bomb bay, or destroy several GVs.  I'm sure the super brave bomb-n-bail brigade has a small effect on the lanc's stats against GVs also.

I'm just trying to offer up an explination as to why people seem to complain more about lancs bombing GVs than the other ord capable planes; especially since the stats you provided show that the lanc is not the top GV killing ride.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:31:54 PM by tmetal »
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 02:05:49 PM »
I get more aggravated with one shot kills than I do with bombing. I think the point people are trying to make is in the game(that uses wwii modeled equipment) if a gv battle is raging on out at a spawn point it most likely is a gv furball and the GVers there would like to be left to play. Unfortunately like the aircraft furball, some ones always looking to spoil the fun and drop the hangers.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »
I am insulted!  You left my favorite airborne tank killer the Huricane II-D out! :frown:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
I'm not a gv'er and I don't have an issue with lancs bombing gvs, but I do find it silly when I see lanc's dive bombing. For some reason their wings don't break like the other heavy bombers  :headscratch:
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)