Author Topic: queston one the 190 turn  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: queston one the 190 turn
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
Tank-Ace,

Turn off Combat Trim on the Ki-84 and ~90% of its problems go away.  It is truly stunning the performance difference.

Spitfire can keep with the Fw190 in a spiral dive so long as the Fw190 does not use its roll rate to switch directions, it isn't that] fragile.  Spitfires roll like crap at high speeds.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 03:22:04 AM »
IDK, all I know is that I've lost wings under heavy manuvering at speeds as low as 430mph. Was a spit 14, IDK if the wings are weaker or anything, I'm not a spitdweeb, but I can say for certian a 190 could have pulled the same manuver and survived.

And I'll have to try that with the Ki-84.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 08:26:59 AM »
I'm curious about the comments regarding Spit losing wings in high speed turn.  A couple of things come to mind.

First, until the clipped wing spit came into play, the elliptical wing Spit Did have issues with wing torsion at high speeds. IIRC NACA Report 868(?) detailed studies comparing both the P-47C-1 and the Spit V with respect to aileron diminished effectiveness at 400 mph with extensions to control reversals in 550 mph range.

The Jug had ~ 65% aileron effectiveness at 400 and the Spit was at 31% -indicating a significant amount of torsion in the outer panels of the wing as the Q loads increased.  Another curiosity of the Spit was that twist of the wing was not done on the leading edge, but on the trailing edge which I think was unique.   But there is no reason for a Spit to shed wings unless the initial turn exceeded ~ 10-12G and somehow avoided a stall well before it reached that level of loading... So how were the modelling assumptions applied to create the game effect?
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
I don't think we'll ever know all the sources they've used to model our planes and tanks. For whatever reason, whether it be to hide the use of speculation or to keep things from competitiors I don't know, but (I don't think) they've ever disclosed their sources.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
First, until the clipped wing spit came into play, the elliptical wing Spit Did have issues with wing torsion at high speeds.

That would imply either the shape of the wing was not symmetric to the applied aerodynamic force or the force was not acting uniformly about the wing I believe..

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »
I'm curious about the comments regarding Spit losing wings in high speed turn.  A couple of things come to mind.

First, until the clipped wing spit came into play, the elliptical wing Spit Did have issues with wing torsion at high speeds. IIRC NACA Report 868(?) detailed studies comparing both the P-47C-1 and the Spit V with respect to aileron diminished effectiveness at 400 mph with extensions to control reversals in 550 mph range.

The Jug had ~ 65% aileron effectiveness at 400 and the Spit was at 31% -indicating a significant amount of torsion in the outer panels of the wing as the Q loads increased. 

Blast it, you structures & loads guys always have to bring up aerolasticity don't you.  I like my bodies rigid. :D
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
I'm very happy aileron reversal isn't modeled in the game!  :uhoh
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
If you look at your aileron deflection at high speeds you'll see that the travel is reduced.

Hitech mentioned looking at the possibility of modeling wing flex and aileron reversal.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 06:57:36 AM »
"First, until the clipped wing spit came into play, the elliptical wing Spit Did have issues with wing torsion at high speeds."

All wings flex, more or less, but because of wing area the Spit's wings flex more that usual and it was most noticeable from aileron reversal at high speed dives and visually evident from outer machineguns firing a bit here and there during maneuvers. Not many other, if none at all, planes had machineguns fitted that much outboard so the wing flex in those was not that evident during firing.

The wing clipping did not affect to wing flexing, AFAIK, but the changes in wing structure in later models did.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
All wings flex, more or less,

Yes. :) If a fly sits on a rail road track piece suspended from both ends. Does it bend because of the weight of the fly? Yes it does. The question is, just how much. :D
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!