Author Topic: Need help with varmit  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
Re: Need help with varmit
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
Pellet guns are still considered a firearm.

As are slingshots, blow darts, etc...

No they arent.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
This, its a Federal crime (Felony) to do, you would go to real jail if you dont get the proper paperwork and tax stamp.

I don't get the weird suppressor laws in the US. Every rifle I own has one, and about 50% of hunters I know use them as well. They reduce noise 'pollution', they help mask your location from prey (especially good if you're culling pests), they reduce hearing loss issues, and they actually tighten up accuracy (some may experience a minor velocity gain as well). Plus they're dirt cheap, my .22 suppressor was about us$50, and my .243 one about $120.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »
ok,but look at how most deer and big game are killed.they either asphyxiate or bleed out.all my deer,elk,and bore kills have been clean shots but that doesnt mean they die on the spot.ive had to track down bores a mile and a half.I didnt know an animal could even have that much blood.I agree with you on the suffering but its either a coyote that every wants gone or a pet that no one wants to lose.thats what it comes down to.
yes they are considered a firearm.but less likely someone is going to be worried about a BB gun rather then an accual rifle or pistol.also alot quieter then a .22.making a supressor is out of the question for this 1.best route would be a BB gun or bow.but you still dont want to make it obvious of what you are doing

9 out of 10 folks can't tell a pellet gun from a .50 caliber.

All they see is a weapon pointed downrange.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
No they arent.

I should have been more specific. 

In some parts of the country they are.

Gun means a firearm or pneumatic gun or other similar device designed and intended to expel a projectile through a barrel of any length by means of explosive, expansion or release of compressed gas or compressed air or action of a spring mechanism.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
it would make serial killers jobs easier without the attention involved in a quiet gun shot.
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
it would make serial killers jobs easier without the attention involved in a quiet gun shot.

Nah, serial killers rarely use guns.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »
Then idk lol
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
Nah, serial killers rarely use guns.

I didn't want to burst his bubble...

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
Now hit men on the other hand....... :noid ;)
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »
I hunt them here in texas in the winter for the bounty (15.00 - a head) pawn shop 22 with 3X scope 22 shorts. Go to internet order a wonded rabbit tape play in middle of hard medium low volume shoot in stomach, it will run back to pack and keep going and did the rest wont come back for a long time if ever and no body to get rid of
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
The stupid is strong in this thread.

The situation is simple. Loose pets left outside instead of being kept safe indoors or in a secure yard. There are coyotes in most of the urban areas of the US. They tend to thrive there as people have been and continue to be stupid. You feed them with your trash, food left out and with your pets. If you remove the incentive to stay in the area, they leave. That is not likely to be a viable solution as people will not change their ways willingly or quickly.

In an urban environment you are not going to be able to legally shoot the critters. Should you do so, be prepared to accept the consequences of your acts. Those range from simple misdemeanor prosecution to loss of your rights (felony conviction) to an injury or fatality to an innocent third party from a miss, ricochet or over penetration. Once you launch that shot or arrow you cannot call it back.

You could try poison bait. That might get one or two of them but coyotes ARE smart and there have been lots of attempts to poison them out by ranchers. It didn't work out well. It will also almost certainly be illegal so there is that prosecution thingie again.

Solution. First keep your pets inside at night. That means cats and dogs. Coyotes like to eat both but they absolutely love cats. They will play with dogs run them until they are tired, if foolish enough to chase the coyotes, then kill the dog. If you are going to own a pet, be responsible about it and keep them inside and or secure. If you cannot or will not do that then don't get one.

Call animal control, Call game and fish. Do not take no for an answer. Call the local city council, a LOT. Call the local county / parish representative, a LOT. The more noise you make about it the more likely you are to get a response to take care of the problem. You try to do things on your own expect bad things to happen.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 04:24:28 PM »
Believe me, I'm gonna aim true, but I'm gonna string the carcass up on my property line as a warning to any other unfriendly critters or coyotes.

If they are smart this should keep them away.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »
Do you have any fields around where you live that are surrounded or bordered by trees? Here in KY, coyotes always stick close to those areas, mostly farm land. I suggest you go to a nearby field with a .223 and have a stake out. I'm not sure what Texas Fish and Wildlife has as far as regs, but in KY, you can kill as many coyotes as you want, year-round.

It won't just be cats and dogs, if they get comfy enough, coyotes will go after infants and even small kids. There is also the ever-present danger of rabies. If you trap it, get fish and game or animal control to come out and get it, releasing it a couple counties over will do nothing. You can always use repellent (Deer-off, basically mace), but that won't stop a determined coyote. The best option is to try to find the burrow. Look at any place close that has rocky ledges or cliffs, riverbanks, holes under stumps, etc. These are prime real-estate for the ugly buggers.

Good luck.

P.s. don't mistake a fox for a coyote, if you kill a fox, your arse is in a world of hurt if you don't have tags or if it is out of season, or both.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »
my friend lives up and the hills, your best bet is to get a big dog, my friends cat kills the rodents and the dogs keep the threats away and it ends up working very well.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
my friend lives up and the hills, your best bet is to get a big dog, my friends cat kills the rodents and the dogs keep the threats away and it ends up working very well.

You have the added expense of a dog, you have to make it moderately mean (my dog will bark, but not bite, and he's a big boxer, I never made it mean). If the dog gets bitten in a brawl, it could contract rabies. Also, who is to say that the dog will even win? If the coyotes need food, they can and will gang up on animals. Repeated brawls with many coyotes, I just don't see it as a good method, but that's just me.

Getting rid of the problem directly reduces the need for animal expense.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>