Author Topic: Need help with varmit  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Re: Need help with varmit
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »
Maverick you didnt do a whole lot to address the problem.

Ive shot stray dogs and cats for causing a LOT less trouble than eating my pets.
Id have been hunting this guy a long time before now.
Please stick to something this man can use.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
You have the added expense of a dog, you have to make it moderately mean (my dog will bark, but not bite, and he's a big boxer, I never made it mean). If the dog gets bitten in a brawl, it could contract rabies. Also, who is to say that the dog will even win? If the coyotes need food, they can and will gang up on animals. Repeated brawls with many coyotes, I just don't see it as a good method, but that's just me.

Getting rid of the problem directly reduces the need for animal expense.

You have 2-3  or even one big german shepards running around it can be the nicest dog to humans, but when a vamit comes in and insults its territory boundries it can get pissed! trust me iv seen it and its shocking.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:24:12 PM by Skyguns MKII »

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »
The stupid is strong in this thread.

The situation is simple. Loose pets left outside instead of being kept safe indoors or in a secure yard. There are coyotes in most of the urban areas of the US. They tend to thrive there as people have been and continue to be stupid. You feed them with your trash, food left out and with your pets. If you remove the incentive to stay in the area, they leave. That is not likely to be a viable solution as people will not change their ways willingly or quickly.

In an urban environment you are not going to be able to legally shoot the critters. Should you do so, be prepared to accept the consequences of your acts. Those range from simple misdemeanor prosecution to loss of your rights (felony conviction) to an injury or fatality to an innocent third party from a miss, ricochet or over penetration. Once you launch that shot or arrow you cannot call it back.

You could try poison bait. That might get one or two of them but coyotes ARE smart and there have been lots of attempts to poison them out by ranchers. It didn't work out well. It will also almost certainly be illegal so there is that prosecution thingie again.

Solution. First keep your pets inside at night. That means cats and dogs. Coyotes like to eat both but they absolutely love cats. They will play with dogs run them until they are tired, if foolish enough to chase the coyotes, then kill the dog. If you are going to own a pet, be responsible about it and keep them inside and or secure. If you cannot or will not do that then don't get one.

Call animal control, Call game and fish. Do not take no for an answer. Call the local city council, a LOT. Call the local county / parish representative, a LOT. The more noise you make about it the more likely you are to get a response to take care of the problem. You try to do things on your own expect bad things to happen.

QFT!

Don't get me wrong.  I'm 100% in favor of hunting, and coyote hunting in particular.  I've trapped them, and I've shot them.  It's just not a viable way of protecting the bait you've left out (er, cats).  More time, money, and effort is spent every year on killing coyotes, and every year their population and range increase.

Shooting the coyote that's bothering you may be fun, and possibly even profitable (at the right time of year), but it won't be any more effective at stopping the problem than using a spoon to empty the ocean.

If the habitat is suitable, and food is available (and coyotes are some of the most resourceful critters on the globe) you'll have coyotes.  Done deal.  If you leave your livestock out where they can be eaten by coyotes, you'll have dead livestock.  Done deal.  Hunting/shooting coyotes even prompts them to reproduce at a higher rate...

We don't have all that many coyotes around compared to Texas, but we shot 41 of them this year here on the farm.  Not even a dent in the population...

For that matter, the coyotes are probably better for the environment than the stray cats.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:42:54 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
QFT!

Don't get me wrong.  I'm 100% in favor of hunting, and coyote hunting in particular.  I've trapped them, and I've shot them.  It's just not a viable way of protecting the bait you've left out (er, cats).  More time, money, and effort is spent every year on killing coyotes, and every year their population and range increase.

Shooting the coyote that's bothering you may be fun, and possibly even profitable (at the right time of year), but it won't be any more effective at stopping the problem than using a spoon to empty the ocean.

If the habitat is suitable, and food is available (and coyotes are some of the most resourceful critters on the globe) you'll have coyotes.  Done deal.  If you leave your livestock out where they can be eaten by coyotes, you'll have dead livestock.  Done deal.  Hunting/shooting coyotes even prompts them to reproduce at a higher rate...

We don't have all that many coyotes around compared to Texas, but we shot 41 of them this year here on the farm.  Not even a dent in the population...

For that matter, the coyotes are probably better for the environment than the stray cats.
How about calling animal services to relocate it?
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:11 PM »

Because Bob Barker said so!!!
See Rule #4

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
How about calling animal services to relocate it?

Good idea!  

Like, put it somewhere with a shortage of coyotes?  

Or somewhere where people leave their cats out too much?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I'm 100% in favor of hunting, and coyote hunting in particular.  I've trapped them, and I've shot them.  It's just not a viable way of protecting the bait you've left out (er, cats).  More time, money, and effort is spent every year on killing coyotes, and every year their population and range increase.

If the habitat is suitable, and food is available (and coyotes are some of the most resourceful critters on the globe) you'll have coyotes.  Done deal.  If you leave your livestock out where they can be eaten by coyotes, you'll have dead livestock.  Done deal.  Hunting/shooting coyotes even prompts them to reproduce at a higher rate...

Shooting them will get rid of them for a short time, and dogs aren't always reliable, neither is repellent. There is no sure-fire "cure" for coyotes, but you can do what you can to prevent anything from happening to family pets (and family). Shooting them, combined with dogs (with rabies vaccines) and close watch can prevent them better than just shooting them. You're right.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »
Thanks a lot for all of your input, it's helped me calm down a lot more and make a decision. My neighbors didn't take the news too well, and are giving us full freedom to kill any coyote/fox/pest that we see on their yard.

I've lived in the same house for over 15 years, right off of the COE lake property, and this is the first time we've had any coyote problems. I honestly think it's because of this drought, since it's one of the worse ones I've seen around here. We plan on setting up our coyote call and taking it down with a bow and arrow (please understand, in our neighborhood, it's not like a house every 100 feet next to eachother, every person has atleast 2-3 acres out here) and we are going to set up facing towards the lake so we do not shoot towards any houses or people.

Thank you for all of your help, any other tips will be greatly appreciated and hopefully tonight there will be a dead coyote or 2 strung up around our property.

:salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 06:48:52 PM »
What if someone is on the lake in a boat?
See Rule #4

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »
Good idea!  

Like, put it somewhere with a shortage of coyotes?  

Or somewhere where people leave their cats out too much?
:lol
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
What if someone is on the lake in a boat?

Then obviously you use the same common sense you use at all times with firearms, anyway.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
Maverick you didnt do a whole lot to address the problem.

Ive shot stray dogs and cats for causing a LOT less trouble than eating my pets.
Id have been hunting this guy a long time before now.
Please stick to something this man can use.

All the advice Maverick gave was sound, common sence advice. Discharging a firearm in a populated area is just moronic.

<edit> Just read the layout of your neighborhood 1plus, I think your better off with the bow.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:10:28 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »
All the advice Maverick gave was sound, common sence advice. Discharging a firearm in a populated area is just moronic.

You know where I live.

Moronic?  Of course.

Where you live?  Not nearly as moronic.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »
Then obviously you use the same common sense you use at all times with firearms, anyway.

Well until mtnman and, I can't believe I'm saying this  :huh, Maverick came along common sense was seriously lacking in this thread.

Just thought I'd pose a quick hypothetical.  :lol

Personally, I'd just shoot them. I live in town so my varmint killer of choice is the .22 short (sub-sonic so as to not wake the neighbors.)

If noise isn't an issue, put them down with any firearm of choice. Just remember... common sense.  :aok

And please spay or neuter your pets. Also you must realize how many songbirds are killed yearly by cat "owners" that allow their felines to roam without a bell on their collar. I blame the owners and not the animals, after all it is there nature. I had a couple feral cats running the neighborhood for awhile. I tried to get them under control. They sleep with the fishes now. :frown:
See Rule #4

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »
Trap the cats and put bells on 'em. Then send them back to the neighbor with a note in the collar saying "fork up for some food."

Bells aren't a good idea with the actual situation, though. The coyotes don't need help locating the cats (domesticated ones).
Landing is overrated.