Author Topic: Malayan theater A6M2s  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Malayan theater A6M2s
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »
Lyric1 has found me a load of photos and other stuff on these two A6M2 schemes. The one with the orange tail is from the 381st Kokutai and the one with the pale grey tail is from the 331st Kokutai. The 381st aircraft has squadron leader stripes and is skinned in a much less worn state, as is shown in the photos I have of these two planes.

The pale grey wings and tail is a theater ID scheme, similar in concept to Allied D Day stripes. This scheme was applied to all IJNAF fighters participating in the summer 1944 offensive against the British and Indian armies in Malaya, this included the 301st, 331st and 381st Kokutais. The IJNAF order originally called for just the right wingtip and vertical tail to be painted pale grey, however all the photos of this scheme show both wings painted. The 381st aircraft had their vertical tails painted orange rather than pale grey.

The summer offensive ran from April to June 1944 and had much in common with the Battle of the Bulge. It initially caught the British by surprise as it was undertaken through very difficult terrain where an offensive was thought impossible. However the British General Slim reacted quickly, using Allied air power to transport thousands of troops into the area quickly. The offensive stalled on Kohima ridge a few miles from a huge Allied supply dump. Weeks of vicious hand to hand fighting resulted in a stalemate which ended when the Japanese ran out of food. The terrain they had advanced through made it impossible to bring up sufficient supplies so they were forced to retreat. More Japanese troops subsequently died of starvation and disease in the retreat than in the actual fighting.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Malayan theater A6M2s
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »
I still think there's no proof the tail was orange. Doesn't look it in the 1-2 photos.

Much like the "orange" P-40 nose we just discussed, I don't think it existed.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
Greebo,

Great work on the skin! Would you be able to supply us some pictures you referred to during your time skinning these profiles? Just to double check the sources since Krusty doesn't seem convinced (as the norm).
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »
Greebo,

Great work on the skin! Would you be able to supply us some pictures you referred to during your time skinning these profiles? Just to double check the sources since Krusty doesn't seem convinced (as the norm).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:32:24 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:31:45 PM »

-This picture above appears to make sense with the colored plane profiles below. Look at the third A6M towards the back next to the Betty. The vertical stabilizer appears to be a bit darker than the shade of grey in the other photos. Also, the red stripe on the stabilizer looks consistent with the colored profiles. I am not an expert at plane profiling and examination, but I would trust that these sources are accurate.

Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
Nice job Greebo. :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:55:31 AM »
The first picture Lyric posted shows 381st aircraft in a "boneyard". The vertical tail is clearly a mid shade between the green camo and the pale grey on the outboard wings. The photo Plazus mentioned also shows this shade. As the other sources say this colour is orange, I've done it orange. If Krusty or anyone else has any proof it was a different colour, I'd be happy to change it.

Incidentally the 2nd and 3rd photos posted were combat shots taken from a PBY patrol plane.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
Great looking Zeke skins Greebo  :salute

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Mitsu.

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
Thanks for awesome skins. <S>

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
The first picture Lyric posted shows 381st aircraft in a "boneyard". The vertical tail is clearly a mid shade between the green camo and the pale grey on the outboard wings. The photo Plazus mentioned also shows this shade. As the other sources say this colour is orange, I've done it orange. If Krusty or anyone else has any proof it was a different colour, I'd be happy to change it.

Incidentally the 2nd and 3rd photos posted were combat shots taken from a PBY patrol plane.
Also explains why in two photos the 381ST aircraft have what looks like white numbers painted on the tails. If they painted a plain white number on that grey/green paint it would be near invisible.

There is a third colour in play here :aok & since evidence shows it to be orange at this point based off of the profiles & art work.

Orange it is.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 03:01:13 AM »
excellent work as usual greebo.   :cheers:

thanks.   :salute
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Also explains why in two photos the 381ST aircraft have what looks like white numbers painted on the tails. If they painted a plain white number on that grey/green paint it would be near invisible.

There is a third colour in play here :aok & since evidence shows it to be orange at this point based off of the profiles & art work.

Orange it is.

I think this photo I have from a Japanese magazine sums up what I am talking about.

The Japanese text that Rolex translated. Thank you again Rolex.

The Nakajima model 21 was usually painted in a green and black camouflage. The plane on the left has a very unusual white tail that may have been repaired, so the underlying camouflage paint on the parts may have been removed or not painted yet.

The white numbers are very hard to read, but may be "81-142." Starting in November, 1943, the 281st air group was stationed in the Marshall Islands.

Clearly the fellow who wrote this was not aware of the special markings that was ordered from Japanese high command so he is a little puzzled as to why this aircraft looks this way.

The belly of this plane would have been done in green/grey & the orders were given to paint a wing tip & the tail with the same colour paint.

Clearly what is painted on the underside of the aircraft is not what is painted on the tail.

I also think the guy who wrote this is wrong in regards to a white tail painted with white numbers? :headscratch: Why? well white on white is ahhh??? white.

So you would never be able to read them at all. So the tail has a third colour in play here other than white & the green /grey.

Looking at the tail of this plane I think it is the same aircraft in this photo.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
damn nice work greebo! looks amazing as always.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 06:58:52 AM »
 :cheers:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 02:28:00 AM »
Please tell me you'll submit them...  I'd love to fly em. :x  Awesome looking. :rock
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.