Author Topic: Hiding Carriers  (Read 16177 times)

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
Re: Hiding Carriers
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
speaking of hiding cv's....I logged in the other day to see this >.>

(Image removed from quote.)

Obviously artwork by a navy man..
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
This might make everyone happy..........if your cv becomes a reef, so be it no more cv for anyone until map is reset or won. That way no more hiding cv whines and maybeeeeeeeeeeeeee just maybe that might even make more fights to potect you cv. Oh wait.........that wont work.....New whine...Why do we have to protect our cv for. That means I would have to denfend a base, which means I can't fly around in mindless fullballs or fly at 30 and pick to get my name in lights and on the front page of HT's website, how dare he say something like that :x
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
Good strategy, Broken Game Mechanic, or Both?  Imo if a Carrier does not engage in combat after its corresponding port has been captured for a reasonable period of time it should switch to other side.  Or another carrier should spawn all together for the other side.  This is dumb right here though.

Discuss.

Where does this subject sound familiar?  :noid

I can't believe that map is still in the rotation, should be no surprise that a player exploited the flaw in the map or game's coding... again.  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,316488.0.html
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline killrDan

• Copper Member
      • Rolling Thunder Website
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
They got the CV in the first place because they sank it.  You want it back, take it back.  Why the artificial time limit?  Don't lose it in the first place.  They had to target and destroy 2 "fields" but since you lost it, you want to only have to put out the energy to take one "field" then in fairness get a free CV back later on at some arbitrary time limit.  That makes no sense at all.  How about, for the sake of the fairness you are seeking, you do get that CV back for nothing.  Then, the other side should get an airfield back in return that you took but shouldn't have because it wasn't yours.  You can't only code one side of a perceived problem.  The problem is solved in advance by getting your team together and keeping the fields.  That is the game, play it.

Fair enough..just fix the darn map so it's possible to get it back!
THUNDER MOB - CO
Battle Over the Winter Line - II.SG4 GL

Offline Razzor 479th

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
Ok, I've seen it before where the CV is parked wayyyyy away from any possible fights.  I see no one is commanding it, so I try and turn it toward land to eventually get it into use.  But, the controls won't let me move it or set a new course, even though it shows no one commanding it.  Anyone know why this happens??

RAZOR - PIGS ON THE WING

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
ROC, I think you're confusing two issues here at the heart.  You'd be 100% right (they sank it, they captured the port, thus they +1 a CV) if you weren't 100% wrong (they sank it, captured the port, +1 a CV, then shoved it a far corner that has an exploitable bug that makes said CV indestructable).
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »
Ok, I've seen it before where the CV is parked wayyyyy away from any possible fights.  I see no one is commanding it, so I try and turn it toward land to eventually get it into use.  But, the controls won't let me move it or set a new course, even though it shows no one commanding it.  Anyone know why this happens??

It is a bug, but possibley a known one - if you switched countries after entering the arena at some point in your current session, then the Task Group list on your end may not properly list a player as having command of the fleet when they actually do.  Try closing and reloading the game, if it's still not listing anyone there and you can't take control and steer it away from the corner, then make a report in the Bugs forum on it.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2011, 11:53:38 PM »
Good strategy, Broken Game Mechanic, or Both?  

Discuss.

I've got a wasp nest under my porch, let me know if you'd like to come over sometime and give it a good hard whack with a stick.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »
Babylon I see your point and agree completely in the context you have framed it in.  However I was commenting 100% on the original post
Good strategy, Broken Game Mechanic, or Both?  Imo if a Carrier does not engage in combat after its corresponding port has been captured for a reasonable period of time it should switch to other side.  Or another carrier should spawn all together for the other side.  This is dumb right here though.
which was exclusively about some random automated fairness doctrine that rewarded the guys who lost the CV in the first place.

The more it get's argued, the more people add things that were not part of the original topic to prove their point, and stray from the original post :)  Hell I could come up with all sorts of things that weren't originally brought up to prove my point, but the discussion started out as above, and I stick to my personal belief that for this discussion coding some arbitrary timer is a bad idea and does nothing to solve the problem he is explaining.  Fixing a bug that may or may not allow for a CV to be sunk is a singular problem in a specific area that needs to be addressed on it's own.  Clearly the CV can be sunk or it wouldn't be on the other side, but a specific map issue in a specific bugged region is not a reason to recode the entire system, nor was it the original complaint.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:10 AM »
I agree with the 2-3 hour reset to whoever owns the port.  great solution.

But until then.....

If the CV is being hidden,
1)  is it "cheating" to hide the CV?
and
2)  is it "cheating" to (while on the cv side) tell the other country where the cv is?
or
3) BOTH are considered fair gameplay?

I dont care what the answer is.  I just would like a HTC response for clarification.

If one already exists for items 1 and 2, please point me to them.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:22 AM »
Obviously artwork by a navy man..
Need
Any
Vaseline
Yet.

hmmmm.....
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2011, 02:34:42 AM »
seriously!! the bish hid our cv again... 8 sectors away!~seriously guys... its really ruining the fun.... i dun mind if you use it.. but taking our port and hiding the CV is SERIOUSLY DISTASTEFUL!! you guys have no class!
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2011, 03:19:14 AM »
speaking of hiding cv's....I logged in the other day to see this >.>

lol, don't worry Marine, if you call out the 'CV hiders' for doing that, they will mass report you...  :headscratch:

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2011, 06:13:23 AM »
Oh the new thread is coming I promise...film ...vox...everything.

The Vretards will be exposed

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »
If a friendly CV remains in friendly water for more than 1 hour it respawns at the port of origin.  In other words it must be at a range that it's aircraft can strike an enemy base or en route to that area.  If it is not, then the respawn occurs.  Simple!  This would also prevent an aircraft carrier from hiding in enemy territory as well.  You could still Keep it at a distance from bases just not to far.  Once an enemy coast is secured and the cv is no longer in range of an enemy target then it would reset and it could be moved to the other countries shore more quickly.

I to got sick of (I'll use a few synonyms here) dispute,contest,question for railing me for putting a CV 2 sectors from a base to launch an attack.  Instead of shutting his trap an assisting, he and his squadies were unrelenting in explaing to me that a CV should be hidden and not utilized.  You can imagine my confusion.  A minature spock kept popping up on my shoulder saying "that is illogical"    :D
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?