Author Topic: WTF Guys?  (Read 963 times)

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
Re: WTF Guys?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
Might be you need a M$ update.. could be a "feature" in a driver that is being tweaked by the AH update...  Which would not the the fault of HTC but the driver...  Just a guess...  I guess is really pains you to purchase Winders.. since M$ is one of the worst (or best however you want to look at it) at getting the customer base to debug their products...  Every time you boot.. haha..  Seems the more expensive the product the more they want you to debug for them.. Adobe, M$, etc... Sad, but seems customer debugging seems to be more the norm..  --Mitch
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
every once in a while the install will get corrupted.  dl the full game again.  just make sure you back up your folders.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 09:23:08 AM »
One of the more nasty bugs in Windows 7 64 bit (does not apply to 32 bit) is the 'low USB power bug'.

When the USB bus gets low on power, but not low enough to reset the bus, the operating system sends applications millions of USB bus change messages.  This message is supposed to notify any application looking for that message a device has been changed/added to the USB bus.

Once we added the ability to add sticks to the game, after it was started, this problem came up.  We get a flood of these messages and eventually the kernel will crash as we merrily answer all of them, taking down the game.

To know if this is a problem, remove all the USB bus devices you can, from the computer and see if the game starts up.  If it does, then promptly go get an externally powered USB bus and use it.

Next up;  Once the game suffers and unexpected shutdown, it is possible for a configuration file to get corrupted.  It is an OS thing we cannot control.  Best thing to do, is to try renaming the "settings" folder in the root installation path of the game and trying it to see of the game becomes stable.  If it does, then you can selectively copy files from the old "settings" folder to the new one.  One, or more, of those files could be corrupted.

As far as logic goes.  If one or two computer are having a problem out of thousands, then I tend to suspect those computers interjecting something unexpected into the code path of the game.  Typically, we cannot reproduce those problems and have to rely on the customer to help, as the customer is the only one who has access to the system manifesting the problem.

I can understand that being frustrating.  We really do not sit around here and try to figure out how to piss off our customers and do the best we can to adhere to Microsoft's specifications.  When Microsoft violates its own specification it can wreak havoc with all applications who depend on things to work as advertised.  Trouble is, it usually ends up in the customers lap before it can be discovered some obscure bug exists in the OS we (nor any other application company) did not account for.

What is left to do but to help the customer the best way we can.  However, it is up to the customer to get it all started.  The best way for that is to provide as much detailed information about the system and its configuration.  From there, it becomes possible to reach logical conclusions which is where we all want to be.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:26:26 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:39:24 AM »
skuzzy, much nicer than i would have been.

And if I want to rant because they break the damned game, then it's my privilege since I pay for it.
i would love to see you post that b.s. on ea games, microsoft, sony, ubisoft, activision or other game company forums then see what response you get.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 11:42:09 AM »
One of the more nasty bugs in Windows 7 64 bit (does not apply to 32 bit) is the 'low USB power bug'.

When the USB bus gets low on power, but not low enough to reset the bus, the operating system sends applications millions of USB bus change messages.  This message is supposed to notify any application looking for that message a device has been changed/added to the USB bus.

Once we added the ability to add sticks to the game, after it was started, this problem came up.  We get a flood of these messages and eventually the kernel will crash as we merrily answer all of them, taking down the game.

Wow that explains a lot!  I always wondered why so many people had issues with Win7 64bit (me not being one of them)... because I use a powered USB hub!  It's cool to know that you guys figured it out!

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
i would love to see you post that b.s. on ea games, microsoft, sony, ubisoft, activision or other game company forums then see what response you get.

No kidding.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »

This is why I have great respect for the crew at HTC and will continue to support them by keeping my subscription current (until I finally tire of the game and need to move on).
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »
I have a brand new $2500 gameing computer and this Windows 7 and its updates have caused me no end to USB problems in all my games. I have two powered USB Hubs cause one wont run my controllers. Some of The controllers decided they didnt like the one Hub. Then I have a new pair of rudders that wont run on either hub, nor even any of the many usb ports I have on the computer itself. For some reason it only connects on one of the two Hubs on my broken G15 keyboard.

So since it was broken Logictech replaced it with their latest version which has no usb hubs. :huh Which means I have to use the broken one still cause its the only one that powers my rudders. :cry Every day when I start up I pray all my controllers spin up. This was W-7s gift to a top shelf custom make machine.

And as for "Windows Update"? That feature just plain frightens me. Its caused no end of problems in the past.
Yes, your on "Ignore"