Author Topic: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me  (Read 9267 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »
:o

true

did I tell you I hate you yet today? :furious

You haven't told me this week yet actually!  It's only Monday though.  :cry

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
see why would it matter to the war type?  especially if you could only switch to the lowest numbered side ? it has NO barring on the war winners  :headscratch:

seems to me I have heard over and over again the war winners angry that others don't fight the war...but not one time EVER have I heard a fighter complain about the war types.

Wow really?  All I ever seem to see on the forums from 'fighter' guys is complaints that so many people don't play their way. There are some fighter types who have seemed to take it upon themselves to lead a crusade against the evil plague of player who are 'ruining the game'.

I'm arguing objectively here guys, it's not personal to any of you specificaly. I geuss I just get annoyed with human nature complaining about everything all the time and generaly only thinking about themselves. I also get annoyed with the players here constantly increasing the workload of the company who make our hobby their full time work.

Would it really be asking too much to go for a few months without some massive thread on what needs changing about the game or it is 'turning into utter garbage'?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
Would it really be asking too much to go for a few months without some massive thread on what needs changing about the game or it is 'turning into utter garbage'?

Yes. Yes it would.
See Rule #4

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2011, 07:49:01 PM »

Wow really?  All I ever seem to see on the forums from 'fighter' guys is complaints that so many people don't play their way. There are some fighter types who have seemed to take it upon themselves to lead a crusade against the evil plague of player who are 'ruining the game'.

I'm arguing objectively here guys, it's not personal to any of you specificaly. I geuss I just get annoyed with human nature complaining about everything all the time and generaly only thinking about themselves. I also get annoyed with the players here constantly increasing the workload of the company who make our hobby their full time work.

sorry but my squadie the mean evil grizz corrected me...yes I have complained in game about war guys dropping hangers. :old:

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
Happens all the time to be fair.  Anytime we whine about a guy dropping a fighter hangar we are whining about the war guys.

Nevertheless, I wish the switch time was along the lines of 4 hours.  Would be fair and long enough to stop wild swings in player numbers by players switching sides for whatever reason If this was indeed a problem.

I'm quite sure we have discussed this in squad forum, I think we decided that HT set it to 12 hours so in the future when they drop it to 4 we will feel as though we got something!  :rofl :rofl

It is between the bread slices where we find the meat!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 10:20:22 PM »
Lets say you have 1 hour to play for. If you fly one sortie for an hour rather than 10 quick sorties in an hour, could it not be possible to enjoy that one sortie just as much? Quality over quantity?

If they happened that way, I imagine I could.  I just haven't had any go that way.  A recent example.  I hopped on late and Soulyss showed up shortly after.  We went up and headed for the only possible dar bar we could see.  We saw baduns above us.  Just the way I like it.  A 51 made one poor pass and ran for home.  The Zeke that was hanging above us tried to BnZ but was lousy at it.  I don't know that he ever got down to our alt until he ran for home.  We finally went in opposite directions hoping he'd pick on at least one of us.  This went on for quite some time.  He then ran for home and his ack.  Soulyss finally got him.  A Kate of all things showed up below us and promptly dropped his bomb and blew himself up, only to come on 200 and be mad that we interfered with his bombing GVs. Neither Soulyss or I had fired a shot anywhere near him.   By that time the fuel was to the point it was time to head back.  The dar bar was gone and there was nothing else.  Landed and called it a night.

Now I guess part of it is me.  I don't want to take a 51 with DTs, get alt, get to a fight and BnZ em to death.  So in that regard I'm placing limits on myself being a 38G driver.  You could tell me to go to the DA.  But the folks I enjoy BS'ing with tend to be in the MA, and furball lake is what it is anyway.

I'm not quite sure how me bouncing sides if the fights dry up, upsets the balance, or impacts on the outcome of 'the war'.  As stated I have no interest in hiding carriers or spying on who is flying the latest NOE raid to the undefended base.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
 :salute
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »
I think HTC should let Corky and Ink switch teams whenever they want.  Forget the rest of us.  Seriously.   :airplane: :banana:

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »
I think HTC should let Corky and Ink switch teams whenever they want.  Forget the rest of us.  Seriously.   :airplane: :banana:

I dunno... I've stopped hopping as the times i generally played are somewhat balanced...

and besides....

all enemies suck... all friendlies suck slightly more, no matter the chesspiece.  :noid :bolt:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
all friendlies suck slightly more

Yeah, damn killshooter.  :furious

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »
If it was say, 6 hours, would the fluctuations be twice as wild?  Would they even change at all?  I say no.  Why is 12 hour bogus?  This is why:

Probably not.  So long as the time period for changing exceeds what most people would fly in a night, you should see similar reductions in the volatility of arena numbers.

If I had to guess, HTC used 12 hours before, and that worked.  Six hours would probably work, but they weren't trying to experiment with a solution to the arena imbalances - they were implementing one that they knew worked based on previous experience.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »

:rofl

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »
they should up it to 1 tour. :rofl

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2011, 02:52:18 AM »
Probably not.  So long as the time period for changing exceeds what most people would fly in a night, you should see similar reductions in the volatility of arena numbers.

If I had to guess, HTC used 12 hours before, and that worked.  Six hours would probably work, but they weren't trying to experiment with a solution to the arena imbalances - they were implementing one that they knew worked based on previous experience.

Its all about the numbers. Everyone says start your own fight, its total BS. Tonight it was so fn boring I broke out with the bMuppets Bomber Wing... yeah it really happened, thing and I were figuring out how to use the bomb sights, and agent was discovering how to use the tail guns....

And you think I'm joking, I'm not.... and only after about 3 hours of this did some people finally up to fight, only to get upset that the vMuppets were part of a horde (I was in a heavy g14 at the time).... and it was true.. we couldn't switch and and when we attempt to start a fight, the dog pile occurs.

So the 12 hour time switch is a fail in my mind. Bombers were fun for the first flight, but not after the 3rd hour.

We would have loved to switched then fight the horde we created, but nope, not an option. Some say this was by design, some just want us to go to bed... who knows, but it blows.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »
As I read it the 12 hour limit was done to help balance out the player numbers. I think this was done to help limit the mega hordes that happen on all sides. To that I say good but I don't think it will work. If it is as you all say that folks always move to the side with the fewest numbers then the balancing would be done by us which is never the case. It seems that for the few of you who do go to the side with the least players there are far more who move to the side with the most and therefore perpetuate the giant hordes looking for easy pickings and perks to that I say bad. The changes forces folks to deal with what they have and hopefully forces them to improve on some facet of their game that they otherwise would ignore to a point.
 The only other way to effective balance out the game would be to allow the computer to place folks evenly without any input from the player and then what would we have? Even more complaints of how the game sucks and this and that. I like how the game is and I like having folks staying put keeping the eny as close to even as possible and making them fight with what they have. Then again I know that everyone has their own ideas of fun so I guess we just have to deal with what we are given, sounds like life to me. It could always be worse, we could not have this game and we could all be sitting in our folks basements in our underwear playing W.O.W........