Author Topic: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me  (Read 9272 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2011, 06:03:15 PM »
Lets say you have 1 hour to play for. If you fly one sortie for an hour rather than 10 quick sorties in an hour, could it not be possible to enjoy that one sortie just as much? Quality over quantity?

every sortie I fly is quality at least it was...now I find myself flying around a bunch of green and get disgusted and logging for the night, and yes I have flown many times to a fight that was way out of the way deep in nme territory between the other two countries,  but that gets old real quick, for me anyways...I am not trying to simulate the war.... I want a good time fighting WW2 prop planes, most want to win no matter what, I really don't care how they play....I do care how I play though.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2011, 06:46:13 PM »
why not go to the DA then, or create your own custom arena that you have complete freedom in?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
'INK's 5v1 Arena' :aok

it just might work!
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
I don't switch sides, rules of our squad. For those that do I have no problem.

The '12 hour rule' should be dumped. Many have whined about 'side-switchers' exposing raids, CVs, etc....

Some mock realism in this game a bit. On another thread I've been bashed for trying to fly smart and stay alive. Others like to up, be dead in 5-minutes and make some kills inbetween. I respect that though they may not like what I am about to say.

In the real world how much surprise was there? Europe, almost none. The only surprise was knowing if the allied buffs were headed north, south or central. Germans never had surprise, by BoB English radar would watch them form over France. In Japan, maybe some but not much. While the exact raid on which island was a surprise TF 38/58 was massive and the Japanese knew Mariannas, Jimas, Leyte Gulf, etc.

In one way, make this game more raid heavy and expect a mass of resistence. If the goal is to take base after base and only fight computer aimed ack, wouldn't some arcade thing be more enjoyable?

Just my two cents. We need more fights, not less.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
why not go to the DA then, or create your own custom arena that you have complete freedom in?

That's not the point, Bat. It's about how to get that elusive quality of game play, not about moving it in another arena. In ideal world, you'd have that in all arenas, just different flavors.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
'INK's 5v1 Arena' :aok

it just might work!

no no no no no

I am striving to win a 20 vs 1  :D

serious?

ok then....because the dynamics of the MA are not 1vs1's which I am not looking for, the spontaneity of the MA, not always knowing what I am gonna find for a fight..or WHO I am gonna face....I am surprised I would have to explain that to you.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:56 PM »
I don't switch sides, rules of our squad. For those that do I have no problem.

The '12 hour rule' should be dumped. Many have whined about 'side-switchers' exposing raids, CVs, etc....

Some mock realism in this game a bit. On another thread I've been bashed for trying to fly smart and stay alive. Others like to up, be dead in 5-minutes and make some kills inbetween. I respect that though they may not like what I am about to say.

In the real world how much surprise was there? Europe, almost none. The only surprise was knowing if the allied buffs were headed north, south or central. Germans never had surprise, by BoB English radar would watch them form over France. In Japan, maybe some but not much. While the exact raid on which island was a surprise TF 38/58 was massive and the Japanese knew Mariannas, Jimas, Leyte Gulf, etc.

In one way, make this game more raid heavy and expect a mass of resistence. If the goal is to take base after base and only fight computer aimed ack, wouldn't some arcade thing be more enjoyable?

Just my two cents. We need more fights, not less.

Boo

wooohoooo banging cup on bars even louder

:salute

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »
People complain about the supposed lack of 'gameplay' no matter what the side switch time is. I am convinced that decreasing the time limit will only mean you find another reason to blame for why you are not having fun anymore. So change it back, I don't care either way. But if they do change it back is the game going to magicaly provide 'gameplay' or will there just be one less thing for you to complain about that is causing the lack there of? Bottom line is, you enjoy the game under your own steam otherwise you will never enjoy it no matter what changes.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
People complain about the supposed lack of 'gameplay' no matter what the side switch time is. I am convinced that decreasing the time limit will only mean you find another reason to blame for why you are not having fun anymore. So change it back, I don't care either way. But if they do change it back is the game going to magicaly provide 'gameplay' or will there just be one less thing for you to complain about that is causing the lack there of? Bottom line is, you enjoy the game under your own steam otherwise you will never enjoy it no matter what changes.

no one can say they EVER heard me complain about game-play, until this change, because I never complained about it, I was very happy in my little world fighting my little fights.

and that was whipped out from under my feet.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2011, 07:19:51 PM »
People complain about the supposed lack of 'gameplay' no matter what the side switch time is. I am convinced that decreasing the time limit will only mean you find another reason to blame for why you are not having fun anymore. So change it back, I don't care either way. But if they do change it back is the game going to magicaly provide 'gameplay' or will there just be one less thing for you to complain about that is causing the lack there of?

Well, IMO, switch time limit is not a problem. You could improve gameplay more with new strat system and map design. Maps should have choke points, where opposing forces must meet.

Bottom line is, you enjoy the game under your own steam otherwise you will never enjoy it no matter what changes.

Obviously people enjoy it, otherwise they wouldn't hang around. Unfortunately for many, that joy time is getting shorter in relation to time spent in the game. As for the time limits, it wouldn't hurt to try out some reasonable "meet in the middle" solution.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
Fair enough. I'm all for keeping the maximum player base. What should we do after this change when the win the war players complain about too short change times again?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »

Just to scroll back a few pages, forgive my selective quote here. Yes that is what I am suggeting, although realisticaly you're only looking at 15-20 mins to get to the area.

Right.  But I'm planning on RTBing, which would add another 15-20 or so, hence the 3/4 hour round trip I mentioned.

This type of thing mimic wonderfully the feeling of a real WWII combat sortie for me. That is what I am playing this game for, to mimic as best I can the feeling of aerial combat with guns. It adds a huge incentive to stay alive when you have invested time getting to the combat zone and it also requires alot more carefull tactics in order to make it home. Nothing feels quite like flying home for 20 mins after some exhilerating dogfighting far into enemy territory. I thrive on lone wolf tactics, I find I do alot better when I have no one but myself to take care of. I will log in, do one sortie like this and then log off for the night. That is, to me, far more rewarding and fun than mindless furballing for 15 sorties in that time. I love mindless furballing, but it does not really mimic WWII combat nearly as much as a long range single sortie per night. Just another perspective.

Sure.  I do this Fridays with FSO.  When I'm in the MA, it's set up for more fights per hour than a scenario.  My ideal is crowd vs crowd, and failing that I like to fight outnumbered.  I personally find it more interesting to fight group on group rather than getting into it alone with a bunch of enemy.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that they effectively say 'Balance the numbers or we'll penalize you with ENY and lower perk gains.  Oh, but you can only do that once every 12 hours.  Additionally, we won't give you enough information to tell which other country is just hording unless they're attacking your current country's fronts.'

During primetime, it's all hugs and puppies because there's enough people to find any kind of fight you want.  Off hours, depending on the numbers split between countries sometimes your choice is be part of the horde or bomb an uncontested base, but the other two countries may actually have a fight going on.

Fair enough. I'm all for keeping the maximum player base. What should we do after this change when the win the war players complain about too short change times again?

What will their complaint be about?  Spiez?  Point and laugh at them.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:28:45 PM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »

see why would it matter to the war type?  especially if you could only switch to the lowest numbered side ? it has NO barring on the war winners  :headscratch:

seems to me I have heard over and over again the war winners angry that others don't fight the war...but not one time EVER have I heard a fighter complain about the war types.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
.but not one time EVER have I heard a fighter complain about the war types.

Happens all the time to be fair.  Anytime we whine about a guy dropping a fighter hangar we are whining about the war guys.

Nevertheless, I wish the switch time was along the lines of 4 hours.  Would be fair and long enough to stop wild swings in player numbers by players switching sides for whatever reason If this was indeed a problem.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
Happens all the time to be fair.  Anytime we whine about a guy dropping a fighter hangar we are whining about the war guys.

:o

true

did I tell you I hate you yet today? :furious