Author Topic: Alchemists gone rook  (Read 7555 times)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
Re: Alchemists gone rook
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
omg

v is for VOSS!!!

vDALLAS IS VOSS OMG WITCH HUNT BURN HIM BURN HIM!

There are ways of telling whether one is a witch...
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2011, 05:40:58 PM »
I want to know what happened to, Chewie......
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2011, 06:16:53 PM »
I want to know what happened to, Chewie......

He finally succumbed to the Evil Empire
vNucks

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
This has been gnawing on me a bit since I read it.

It boggles my mind that you vGuys tolerate being dictated to in this manner.  Your boss is telling you what you can fly and how you have to fly it.  He is stunting any hopes of growth.  You'll never get good if all you ever do is B&Z in late war monsters.  Heaven help you if you get caught low or slow, since you aren't allowed to learn to fly your plane at the ragged edge, you are going to have your lunch handed to you by just about everyone else in the game.

I feel bad for you guys.  You're denied some of the best aspects of the game by your fearless leader.

Do you even realize what you are missing?

While not ALL bad, there IS something to be said about learning what the limits of one's favorite ride is and pushing them to the edge.

Squad rules are o.k. if the members of said squad are in agreement.  One of the rules of our squad (actually the ONLY "requirement" come to think of it) is that we fly only Luft planes in the Late war arena.  All planes are allowed in any other arena.  The only time we really deviate from this is on April 1st and Halloween.  However, there are no official "doctrines" about how we fly.  We traditionally have an Order of Battle and are loosely assigned a wingman/Schwarm leader but for me at least, this brings more immersion and a general squad cohesiveness which becomes glaringly evident and lets us reap the benefits of such when we fly as a unit during FSO/scenarios but a rule dictating "how" one flies in the MA, with penalty of dismissal is almost laughable if it is true.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
wait those guys that made a big stink about their glorious crossing that was mundane to the rest of us in squads that have been here a decade looking for the low numbered country are now back on their origional chess piece because it is what they call home?

gtfo bish side. your screwing up my 2.0 eny bonus. I need 40+ perks a sortie in t34/76s, 190a8s and il2s to support my tigerII/262 addiction!

Im down to only 7000 perks per category argh!!!

you've ruined everything!

Therefore I must now order all muppets to vacate bishlandia in the grand historic exodus that is no longer to be conducted more than once daily as per the former 12 times a day tradition to the country of their chosing in search of perks, fights, the posibility of female intelligence or reasons of their chosing.

<S>

vFestardbria Esquire
Executive Officer, Champion of the Universe,
Lord of the Manor, His Excellency,
Das =v= Muppets
1-666-xxx-xxxx

aye aye

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
you know its funny you should post Benny Hill because when I made that joke post you quoted thats what was going through my head... the theme song and the running around like idiots skits.

but now that I think of it this captures the moment better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvX4AiGY5dY&feature=related

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:58:06 PM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
Chewie is playing WOT with Falcon23
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »
Training them to fly that way would not be very difficult.  Might take me a whole 10 minutes.
80th FS "Headhunters"Nose Art

S.A.P.P.-Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:40 AM »
MA play needs to be totally revamped. Taking bases is what it is. I dont really care about who wins the war, but the problem we have now days is that no one wants to learn how to fight anymore. People take the easy way out, which in this case is to join a mega squad, and fly in the middle of a horde where they will never have to encounter an enemy. Hardly anyone is interested in the history or the tactics that this game represents. Everyone is just looking for the quickest way to "win". It didn't used to be like this. The mentality of the average player has changed dramatically over the years. People are a lot less eager to learn than they used to be. The horde is just a means to an end for them...."winning". Only a very few value the journey anymore.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
nothing in regards to the human nature of the players playing this game has changed since 1999.

they play because its fun. they play because they like the toys. they want to defeat the other players on the other team and through trial and error they learn the methods that can best accomplish this.

they will often burn out and then think everything has changed. but in reality they have changed. the diminishing returns effect has run its course and their loss of satisfaction is often displaced and rationalized to explain somthing that they are aware of only on a subconcious level.

in short their perception alone has changed and because of this effect the game is always needing new recruits to replace the ones that have taken themselves out of action in order to remain viable.

funny that this aspect of the game mimics the attrition of real wars so well.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2011, 08:30:50 AM »
nothing in regards to the human nature of the players playing this game has changed since 1999.

they play because its fun. they play because they like the toys. they want to defeat the other players on the other team and through trial and error they learn the methods that can best accomplish this.

they will often burn out and then think everything has changed. but in reality they have changed. the diminishing returns effect has run its course and their loss of satisfaction is often displaced and rationalized to explain somthing that they are aware of only on a subconcious level.

in short their perception alone has changed and because of this effect the game is always needing new recruits to replace the ones that have taken themselves out of action in order to remain viable.

I can buy that. I also think there are various levels of experience where people make this realization, and quit, the most common being, those who dip their toe in the MA, learn how to take off...(maybe land...) then join one of the many whorde squads. They start getting kills....getting precious points, and rightly assume they've mastered this game. What they fail to take note of, is nearly all their kills come in situations where their group has a huge numerical advantage, and they enjoy the luxury of targeting planes, without having to worry about BEING targeted. Reality sets in.....winning even fights is HARD, being one of 5 Lgays chasing Fester, or one of 50 vulching a base is unfulfilling.....and they quit
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »

Quite deep for a guy that stick light bulbs n his mouth  :P
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
Changing player behavior is impossible.  The only thing you can do is create a game that caters to as many people as possible.  IMO HTC falls short of this.  While the war machines are incredible along with the flight model, the game using these war machines is too simple. Take horde to base, take base, move on to next ad nauseum.  All this does is stack combat on top of a base which, well, isn't combat.  As result you are forced to take off from an adjacent base to defend said base.  As soon as the base is captured though, all the defense is magically up, therefore defense of that captured base is not warranted, so the attackers can go elsewhere, leaving the defenders with nothing to shoot.  I find it incredibly ridiculous that I find myself sitting in the tower looking at a giant horde one base over and I decide NOT to take a plane over there because I know they will have the base captured soon and all landed and gone.  That is absurd.

Do I blame the attackers for this whack a mole style of game play?  Honestly, not so much.  They are trying to win the war in an efficient manner within the confines of the game. That's how they have fun.  I don't think you can blame them for that.

Do I blame the mechanics of the game itself for the shortcomings of game play?  Heck yes I do.  I've posted my idea(s) in the appropriate forum how to address this issue, which is at the core of the way of the game functions.  But since my ideas go upon deaf ears I see no reason to rehash them.  

The strategy itself of AH needs a major overhaul and is at the core issue of all the bickering and shabby game play.

This game blossoms when similar forces are battling one another at a stalemate away from bases, bombers and tanks battle one another for a base.  After a while a team wins that territory and the fight rages somewhere else.  This seems to be as rare as a lunar eclipse though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:26:06 AM by grizz441 »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2011, 09:22:49 AM »
My experience as a rook is completely unaffected by the change other than the fact that I now see manned ack that actually shoots when it's occupied as an enemy approaches.

Whenever there is a large amount of people moving to another country, we have an opportunity to note potential spy accounts which must also change countries in order to spy.

You could probably put together a list by comparing roster now to a roster from before the big switch.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:36:06 AM by icepac »

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
i guess in real life war we would not horde but wait for them to get defenders
so their's was fairness in getting killed. : :aok
                             flak