Author Topic: P-40 "white #7"  (Read 16085 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-40 "white #7"
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »
Ink,  To use bright with Gimp.

Save > replace > export (merge visible layers)>  click on the advanced options, and select 24 bit.

Then go to the file and double click the Bright Icon. (you are saving the bmp in the same folder as bright aren't you?)

Cheers.

I have the image in the 24 bit folder, I have a version of "bright" that has a GUI when I say for it to "run bright" it gives me an error..."could not find file" or something like that  :headscratch:

Look at the difference:
(Image removed from quote.)
K has a sorta triangular stacks. E's has more rounded like the B/C.  It is  possible that Scotts E could have a replacement Allison in it.

Scott actually had a few different planes, his most famous is "Old Exterminator" which I believe was a K......when he flew with the AVG, he had an E,  this is the plane I am doing.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »
I have the image in the 24 bit folder, I have a version of "bright" that has a GUI when I say for it to "run bright" it gives me an error..."could not find file" or something like that  :headscratch:

Scott actually had a few different planes, his most famous is "Old Exterminator" which I believe was a K......when he flew with the AVG, he had an E,  this is the plane I am doing.

"Old Exterminator" Is a name given by Scott it was never on his plane/s and it was a E, and the plane you are trying to do.
This is Scotts #7 Old Exterminator.

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
"Old Exterminator" Is a name given by Scott it was never on his plane/s and it was a E, and the plane you are trying to do.
This is Scotts #7 Old Exterminator.

he did have an "Old exterminator" that was a K also...this is not the only site I have found with it being A "K"
 its cool in this site it talks about him painting his spinner EVERY sortie....yup somehow I am gonna show that. :headscratch:
http://www.aviationartstore.com/pilot_Robert_Scott.htm

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
he did have an "Old exterminator" that was a K also...this is not the only site I have found with it being A "K"
 its cool in this site it talks about him painting his spinner EVERY sortie....yup somehow I am gonna show that. :headscratch:

Not that I know how they did the repeated painting, but I'm thinking they'd just take off the hub and dunk it in some bad bellybutton chemical they didn't know was bad for them, or sandblast,  before applying a new coat? Can't imagine a pilot wanting too many coats of what is basically extra weight on their plane.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »
Not that I know how they did the repeated painting, but I'm thinking they'd just take off the hub and dunk it in some bad bellybutton chemical they didn't know was bad for them, or sandblast,  before applying a new coat? Can't imagine a pilot wanting too many coats of what is basically extra weight on their plane.

in as many combat sorties as he had I would doubt that....I can not say though for certain.....i think it would be cool to show a bit of blue, under the paint but a lot less then the way it came out, well it looks good on the BMP, better anyways, he was known for this I really want to show that...sounds......I don't know silly...... but he thought it was worth doing, I should think it be worth bringing out in the skin.

although I put down the P 40 skin for a bit..(taken a bit of advice there :D)..I have been feverishly working the "Big Mac Junior" P51.... :t

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
although I put down the P 40 skin for a bit..(taken a bit of advice there :D)..I have been feverishly working the "Big Mac Junior" P51.... :t
Big Mac? man, i could go for one of those right now...

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
Big Mac? man, i could go for one of those right now...

:D

Ink,  To use bright with Gimp.

Save > replace > export (merge visible layers)>  click on the advanced options, and select 24 bit.

Then go to the file and double click the Bright Icon. (you are saving the bmp in the same folder as bright aren't you?)

Cheers.

got "Bright" working.....thanx a lot man appreciate it :salute

definitely makes a difference

some screens.....not looking for critique, as I was just messing around, trying different ways to make it look metal, thought it looks cool, I will be using a similar approach for my metal layers from now on....

also a quick peek at one of the 51's I"m doing  :D

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2011, 06:52:07 PM »

Well all I can say to that and the P40E in the picture on that site: get a few books, get into your subject, this is a pretty big Dood you bit off to ad your version of history too, hear him , and by all means listen to the "Skipper".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kdc4yT8guw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8fcNRLbkhY

Good Luck,
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:59:58 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »
Well all I can say to that and the P40E in the picture on that site: get a few books, get into your subject, this is a pretty big Dood you bit off to ad your version of history too, hear him , and by all means listen to the "Skipper".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kdc4yT8guw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8fcNRLbkhY

Good Luck,

haha is that an E.....haha that's too funny, I cant tell the difference...... even though I should.

but that is definitely not the only site that says he had a K...when he became the CO of the 23rd he had an E...and then moved to a K......I have not read his book yet I definitely want to, and will pick it up as soon as I can.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1280534669/1280802459/Did+you+know+that+Robert+L.+Scott%27s+%26quot%3BOld+Exterminator%26quot%3B+might+...   <----------------------this is a good site where someone questions whether or not it was camo.....which I don't believe any of them were....trust me I have read as much as I can about him without reading his book......(gotta do that)  

too many sites talk about him painting his spinner for it not to be true, and not one site have I found disagrees with that or says otherwise....he was never in the AVG, he flew with them yes, but as a guest only........

I am "getting into my subject" as much as I can, I very much appreciate what these guys did...

Lastly..... I am not "adding my version of history"      why would you say that :headscratch:

I am trying very hard to do him and his plane justice

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:07:19 PM by ink »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
Glad you got Bright working :)  I like your Bare Metal effect as well.   Its looking pretty good. :aok
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:33 AM »
Thank ya man, there is definitely a difference.....seems to do it with less pixelation....still get some, but its a very nice alternative  :salute

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2011, 02:21:20 AM »
I have not read his book yet I definitely want to, and will pick it up as soon as I can.

List of books by Robert Lee Scott, Jr in chonological order:

God Is My Co-Pilot  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Charles Scribner's Sons 1943
Damned To Glory  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Charles Scribner's Sons 1944
Runway To The Sun  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Charles Scribner's Sons 1945
Between The Elephant's Eyes  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Dodd, Mead & Co. 1954
Samburu  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Dodd, Mead & Co. 1961
Look Of The Eagle  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Dodd, Mead & Co. 1955
Flying Tiger: Chennault of China  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Doubleday & Co. 1959
Tiger In The Sky  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Ballentine 1959
Boring A Hole In The Sky  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Random House 1961
God Is Still My Co-Pilot  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Augury Press 1967
To Walk The Great Wall  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Readers Digest April 1983
The Day I Owned The Sky  Robert Lee Scott, Jr. Bantam Books 1988

MOVIES & VIDEO
Flying Tigers  John Wayne, Artisan Entertainment Movie 1942
God Is My Co-Pilot  Warner Bros. Movie 1945
Fei-Hu: The Story of the Flying Tigers  Video Tape

:cheers:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:28:49 AM by Megalodon »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2011, 03:30:20 AM »
Looks great Ink, nicely dirtied up.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2011, 03:34:26 AM »
Looks great Ink, nicely dirtied up.

Ty :salute

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
Ink, if everything looks good, as far as markings go, then submit it! You've done a great job with this profile.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies