Author Topic: P-40 "white #7"  (Read 15090 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-40 "white #7"
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:44:34 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »

I guess I was going for this look but much dirtier, you can see the streaks from the wheel wells, I just tried to picture a beat up "used hard put up wet" dirty bellybutton P 40...but tried to not over do it...haha    
maybe I shoulda been looking at this pic while doing it...but this is not a war weary plane....

I will work the belly more

that's a cool and very good reference pic...

now I can see better what it all is, even the burnishing of the oil on metal area I was wondering about. From the pic you can see that the overall plate has a fairly uniform-ish color as the heat/oil are evenly distributed, affected by the wind as well.  I think you went a little too far over to the sides and lost the "heat" as a unifying and driving factor behind the cause of that kind of weathering.

The wheel "gunk" - heh, sorry,  in your work seems based more on "soot," while from the picture I get the impression it's more of a soil/water perhaps with light hydraulic fluid. Looks like it could be easily washed off. <edit: upped my gamma and saw the mud oboe referred to - if anything this is what would be in this area.>

Keep at it and there's no doubt your work will start to get in the queues.  :banana:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:25:58 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
Is it? That's interesting because he's commenting that your weathering looks unrealistic, and saying he hopes you reign it in. He's trying to get you to think about why it looks like that, compared to real aircraft.

I put it in artsy-fartsy terms like rockwell and dali and he got the idea.   :aok

or maybe it was the "what were you thinking?"   :noid

in any case, I find ink to be very accomodating to critique, (while still weakly defending his inner artiste  :neener: )  you may not think he is to yours, but you can bet he's taking it all in.  He wants this stuff in-game, yanno?  :airplane:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
Wow its really looking nice!   very realistic mud on tires, but if it were travelling through that much mud, we might expect to see some mud stains thrown up from the spinning wheel onto the underside of wing and horizontal stabilizer too?

I'm not sure about the panel you shown as a replaced panel though - I think this area is riveted directly to the wing spar (I don't have a P-40 cutaway view though) and its doubtful that it would be replaced in the field.  (Not positive about that)  But I think they might replace a flap or aileron or ammo tray cover.  A new aileron would not be metal thoough - I think they were fabric.

The green looks absolutely spot-on to me now.

EDIT:  Found a cutaway view.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:18:26 PM by oboe »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
The top surfaces here:

Are the best so far. Getting rid of the massive paint loss really helps.

I would say ease up on the red spinner chipping, paint the wing panel, and re-thinking the undersides and it would be a good skin.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:45:34 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Its still entirely believable that the paint could be worn down to the metal on the inner wing surface where the pilot and ground crew might walk to climb in/out of the cockpit though - I know I've seen that much wear in pics of P-38s.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 04:46:22 PM »
Its still entirely believable that the paint could be worn down to the metal on the inner wing surface where the pilot and ground crew might walk to climb in/out of the cockpit though - I know I've seen that much wear in pics of P-38s.

I posted one earlier it has heavy wear at the wing root....

yes I absolutely admit that I went way over board at first, I do realize that they did not chip/wear anywhere near the Jap planes...but LISTENING to all of you has guided me to this point...I said before with out you guy's input I would not be here now......

thanx for your input  :salute

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »
Foot traffic is the exception to the rule, yes. Depending on the repainting cycle you could have scuffed paint, worn paint, or chipped paint. Boots sped up the process. Leaving it up to airflow alone, the rest of the airframe tended to do much better. You do see some here and there, but it's not as common as the foot area.

On this you see the foot traffic yes. Another idea you might take from it is not paint chipping, but rather the still-covered paint behind the cockpit. What you see is a fading of the paint based on gas spillage. The fuel tank ports are up in the window behind the cockpit. The white is more like the residue you'd see after the exhaust pipes. Interestingly, this is not unique to the P-40 and has some interesting effects on different planes.

This is at Clark Field. You do see some chipping and wear here, but this is also state-side. You find a lot more beatup planes stateside. They were used and abused and were training tools. You will find some in absolutely horrible shape based state-side. It should probably be discounted as one of your references.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 06:14:54 PM »
Check your lower right wing star, its cut off by the flight surface.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
QQF
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:46:09 AM by Skuzzy »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2011, 06:33:31 AM »
Check your lower right wing star, its cut off by the flight surface.

at first I was like ...no way its an illusion.......nope...good call  :aok   

I messed that up :(

QFT.

Really liking your work so far INK!

Thank ya  :salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »
sux I hate seeing rule #'s broken....in here  :(

anyways I think I am done with it.... :pray

I cant even guess how many hours I put into it :rofl

I will be posting pics soon for final critique. unless its something glaringly wrong I plan on sending it in ASAP :aok

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
She's a beauty Ink. Can't wait to see what other tricks you have to pull out of your hat.  :rock
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

started takin pics....realized that I DID forget some things.......landing lights and and small stuff like that :rofl :rofl

She's a beauty Ink. Can't wait to see what other tricks you have to pull out of your hat.  :rock

Thank ya

:o

:salute

action Jackson

oh just spotted something else  AHHHHHHHH its never ending   :rofl
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:15:07 PM by ink »