Author Topic: P-40 "white #7"  (Read 13997 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-40 "white #7"
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 01:05:57 PM »
worked it a bit more, tweaked the color (kinda happy with it)

completely redid the weathering...honestly I like the heavy weathered more  :rofl

worked the belly a bit more, but not too much,  I was happy with it before, added a bit of dirt and grime...

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
You know the more you tinker the better your skins are getting. :aok

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
Now we're talkin' Ink.  :O

I gotta ask, what's next on the drawing board?
109  :pray
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
You know the more you tinker the better your skins are getting. :aok

thank ya, I am enjoying making them  :salute

Now we're talkin' Ink.  :O

I gotta ask, what's next on the drawing board?
109  :pray

right now I have another P40,a 51 and a 47, in progress (and a mossie I am still thinking on) .....what 109 do you like? I definitely want to do German stuff :aok

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »
thank ya, I am enjoying making them  :salute

right now I have another P40,a 51 and a 47, in progress (and a mossie I am still thinking on) .....what 109 do you like? I definitely want to do German stuff :aok

ooh! ooh! 109F4!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »
How does one strike you, Ink?

Gunther Rall's Bf 109G-2 of 8/Jg52
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

nice.....gonna check it out... :aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »
It's beautiful; I love the bottom except for the undernose that looks like its rusty, and the interface between the underside of the rear fuselage and the underwing area is not matched - it should appear seamless - same level of weathering and shade on both sides.

I don't think that is the right shade of green though- I think it should either been olive brown or flat drab green - this shade seems to light and bright to me.

I strongly encourage you to dial down the gun muzzle soot.   These were not coal-fired weapons after all.

I can tell you're having fun though and you sure do have talent!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
It's beautiful; I love the bottom except for the undernose that looks like its rusty, and the interface between the underside of the rear fuselage and the underwing area is not matched - it should appear seamless - same level of weathering and shade on both sides.

I don't think that is the right shade of green though- I think it should either been olive brown or flat drab green - this shade seems to light and bright to me.

I strongly encourage you to dial down the gun muzzle soot.   These were not coal-fired weapons after all.

I can tell you're having fun though and you sure do have talent!

oh my that made me  :rofl

very true :salute

that color is supposed to be "olive drab"  :headscratch:

I did "dodge" the skin, to show sun fading....maybe I went a bit over board....wouldn't be surprised :lol

every thing else I planned on doing :P

Thanx :salute

(Image removed from quote.)

just read his story.....I am humbled  :salute

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
Rall has a great story. I'm trying to find a copy of his memoir "My Logbook". But it's out of print and the going price is $600.  :O
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
Ha! glad you took it in the humorous vane it was intended.   :D

AFA the olive drab, it could just be my LCD monitor.   Other people will have to chime in too - I wouldn't rely on just one person's opinion.   My opinion is that is should be darker with more brown, but that is just me.   I'm not positive either that early war US fighters used the olive brown drab color.  I know that the early P-47s and P-51s were referred to as being painted brown drab, but not sure about 1941 colors.  They may have been more of the flat green like a Jeep or other Army vehicles.

Anxious to see your version of German iron - and how is it that we do not have Gunther Rall's 109 already?!   Anyway great opportunity for you--I think your style will look especially good on German a/c.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
Ha! glad you took it in the humorous vane it was intended.   :D

AFA the olive drab, it could just be my LCD monitor.   Other people will have to chime in too - I wouldn't rely on just one person's opinion.   My opinion is that is should be darker with more brown, but that is just me.   I'm not positive either that early war US fighters used the olive brown drab color.  I know that the early P-47s and P-51s were referred to as being painted brown drab, but not sure about 1941 colors.  They may have been more of the flat green like a Jeep or other Army vehicles.

Anxious to see your version of German iron - and how is it that we do not have Gunther Rall's 109 already?!   Anyway great opportunity for you--I think your style will look especially good on German a/c.

I had it a bit darker but then it looked too brown :cry

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
Mr. Ink,
       You went overboard on removing the paint chips.  ;)  Seriously, it could use some roughening up of the wing edges.  Not sandblasting, but subtle chips here and there.  Your wear and tear is very good, it just needs to be more subtle.  The nose cone is still a bit too worn.  The smoke stains need to be lighter.  The stains on the fuselage end too abruptly.  They should fade out along their length.  And the green seems too green now.  Your original color with a smidge more green would be perfect.   :aok

It is easy to be so picky when I'm not the one who has to do all the work.   :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »
Mr. Ink,
       You went overboard on removing the paint chips.  ;)  Seriously, it could use some roughening up of the wing edges.  Not sandblasting, but subtle chips here and there.  Your wear and tear is very good, it just needs to be more subtle.  The nose cone is still a bit too worn.  The smoke stains need to be lighter.  The stains on the fuselage end too abruptly.  They should fade out along their length.  And the green seems too green now.  Your original color with a smidge more green would be perfect.   :aok

It is easy to be so picky when I'm not the one who has to do all the work.   :D

cc that,    great advice, all taken in :aok

now that all my layers are done its not much work at all...except the wearing and chipping paint...that has to be redone each time...but seriously I do a lot of versions any ways just to experiment, I think I have 7 different bmp's for this one...probably double that by time I am done :lol

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Love the underside Ink, just beautiful.  :aok
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix