Author Topic: Threat management, observation and a lesson  (Read 1744 times)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Threat management, observation and a lesson
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
So I'm buzzing around TT last night doing my impression of the Boston Strangler. I had flown 6-8 sorties thus far each one having been jumped by "every single red icon" within icon range for each of the sorties, quite typical actually. I up again and am approaching 2 K4s that are engaged with 4-6 greenies, now I happened to be nit while all the other muppets were bish but I wasn't talkin much on squad vox so I had little idea of what they were doing or where. As I approached the 109s I heard Grizz tell Hemp "LA7, niki, spit and jug in". I thought the 109s had plenty to handle so I did not interfere, then Grizz said "watch the A20. I started circling the fight about 2K out just watching when Grizz once again called out "the A20 is a Boston" So I knew the 109s were Hemp and Grizz. I did not say a word and continued to stay within 2K and watch to there final demise vs more horde, this got me to thinking as something just didn't seem normal.
 As I pondered this situation today I realized what was different. Grizz and Hemp disregarded (and rightfully so) the Boston as not a threat untill more threatening targets were dealt with. This I decided is quite contrary to 95% "or more" of the AH population. It is routine (to say the least) to have baddies drop everything to frantically try and get what they percieve as an "easy kill" even to the point of putting themselves in a disadvantagous position to more threatening aircraft. This mindset is quite silly as "yes" you may get the kill on the plane that is "absolutely no threat to you" but you will be eradicated in short order for this decision. Does it make you feel better to shoot down one easy kill before you get pwned, or do you think all the red guys around you don't see you? What exactly is the thinking here?

Instead of acting like panty wetting teenage girls that just saw Elvis for the 1st time, how about apply some common sense to your fight, do some "THREAT MANAGEMENT", understand the situation you're in and act accordingly.

There is a BIG difference tween those who are good and the rest of the population in more ways than just flying skill!

Learn it, Practice it, Own it!

:salute

JUGgler
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:32:43 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Threat management, observation and a lesson
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
Good post Juggler.  :aok
Strokes

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
Good post JUGgler.  :aok

FIXED   :aok

:salute

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »
I look at it more from an E standpoint.  Who has the E to be a threat?  Deal with them first.  If the A20 has position, he might be the biggest threat.

That's what keeps me coming back.  Every fight is different.  There is no instantly apparent right way of approaching every fight.

I agree thoughJug.  Too few people approach it like that.
Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:49:13 PM »
Perfect example of what NOT to do which happened three times in a row at fighter town last night:

Jug comes to base at 15k and dives past all the fighters to kill a formation of Ju88's, looping over and over again until they were dead.  He died after a couple of these passes.  He then called the kill a "pick".  :lol
Edit: I forgot to mention the Ju88's were on the deck.  :lol

He comes back again and again, these times diving on players going wheels up and basically does the same aggro suicide run trying to get a couple easy kills before biting the dust.  He call it his "mission".

It was pretty ridiculous and was obvious all he cared about was acquiring the easiest kills that he could find without regard to survival.

WGTrigg in case you were wondering.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:12:06 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »
I have *the* film of that engagement.  :noid  The Boston was out of reach by the 109's anyway, from an
e-standpoint.

But yeah, tactical threat assessment is a valuable skill. I'll often atually be setting up the one who thinks they're going to pick me.   :joystick:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
I have *the* film of that engagement.  :noid  The Boston was out of reach by the 109's anyway, from an
e-standpoint.

But yeah, tactical threat assessment is a valuable skill. I'll often atually be setting up the one who thinks they're going to pick me.   :joystick:

Actually he was within arms grasp, just 1.5Kish above our 300 mph K4s.  I was more worried about the other 4 though.  :joystick:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Good post.  Highest threat dies first.  However, if I am not threatened, well, P-51Ds are a dime a dozen, but the Spitfire Mk I is a rare bird and as such, a trophy.  :p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:56 PM »
:aok

be Will Munny in the Big Whisky saloon ;)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
Great post JUGgler!

This describes last night for me perfectly. I was bored and started upping C47's with the intent of drawing down enemy fighters, and boy let me tell you it works. The amount of fighters that would dive through the friendly fighter cap down to try and kill me was amazing.

There was a lone P51 that ingnored the fighters in the area and came straight for me. I dodged his attack and he made a hard turn, bleeding his E and attacked, and missed again. At that point he had lost his advantage and was killed by the friendly fighters defending the field.

Since I fly B25's a lot I see this happen all the time, people will ignore all the fighters and come straight for me. Usually I do end up dying but it's not uncommon that they end up dying as well to friendlies in the area. I have a film of one of our more well known pilots diving his 262 down through a fighter cap and trying to attack my B25, however, he compressed and crashed into a nearby hillside. (And no it wasn't Grizz.  :D )
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
It works in more than one way though. The one you disregard can just as easily sneak up on you. I have on several occasions passed up the perceived easy plane to go after the La-7 just to have it come and pick me off later. To me its more of plane type, its alt, relative heading etc.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »
My problem is no one seems to disregard the low 38G.  Instead they all go for it :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
JUG..... I was there for a couple hours last night, first hop out I got smoked by a plane I never hear or saw, it was Grizz   :salute.   As I was re-upping I thought to myself " this is dumb".  A bunch of red guys ( I knew who they were for most part)  and I'm going in low, and with little E.  Did it anyways  :rofl

Reason being was partially what you talked about, the other part, was to work on SA. Which to me is part of what your talking about as well.   I've just started to get back in the game after a year off.  I like to mix it up, and probably don't fly such a good plane to do that ( 51 )  yet I find most of the time I get killed by what actually is the high threat plane, or by lack of SA.  After some time I found I was actually seeing the threats earlier, and felt better about evading them for the most part.  Sure I died every time  :ahand   I'm not good really and my gunnery sux eggs  :lol         but I got something out of it I think, and definitely this writeup too, so it's all good.

Great write up for sure sir!!   :aok

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »
I've been trying to figure out the 38... I flew it a couple months in Mid War and have graduated myself to late war.  It is a magnet for all sorts of gentlemenly attention.  I've found in addition to threat assesment, when you have a huge crowd that really wants to get to know you, being able to manage your position and E is a better defense in many instances than going after the biggest threat.  By going after that guy, I'll be setting myself up for the others to close and make angles... however if I pick my own slash through a group that hopefully gives me an advantage, can take out one of the threats, and hopefully bleed something of the main threat, it can help setup for rope-a-dopes, overshoots and all sorts of other fun things.  Each flight is dynamic though, and I still get pwned as much as I kill anything so feel free to disregard.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
The Mossie doesn't seem to draw as much attention as it used to.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-